Ghost Stories about Crystal Palace

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:40 AM

Does anyone have any creepy stories to tell or have heard of ghosts stories though word of mouth about crystal palace and upper norwood...
I know there is a ghost in the tunnel between CP station and Gipsy hill - it is said to be a worker from the time the CP building itself was being constructed...he got decapitated in the tunnel by some machinery and is said to roam around headless with a lantern swaying from side to side....so the next time you go through the tunnel on the train and the lights go out (speaking from experience here!) just ask the mysterious guy in your carriage to turn on his lantern!!!!!!! ooooooooh spooooooky...... :unsure:
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#2 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:11 PM

Spoooooky! :o

Where did you hear that?
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#3 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:20 PM

theres a book my mum has of ghost stories of the norwoods and croydon...i may type some more out and put them on here..... :unsure:

#4 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:26 PM

London, England

The case of the phantom Bentley goes back to 1936, when Captain Harry Alexander, an ardent Bentley enthusiast, purchased an exquisite four-litre, open four-seater Red Label. The Bentley was said to be the favorite of Sir Henry "Tim" Birkin, former star of the "Bentley Boys" road racing team. For the first two years nothing odd happened, until the summer of 1938, when a series of extraordinary events had the Captain, Upper Norwood police, and psychics from across Europe scratching their collective heads for a rational explanation. One fine June morning, a furious Captain Alexander rang the police to report that his beloved roadster had been stolen. His peaceful sleep had been shattered by the sound of his car being reversed from his garage on a quiet cul-de-sac, then squealing away. The Bentley was later found by police some miles away on Streatham Common. It was undamaged, and fingerprint dusting yielded only Captain Alexander's prints. Three independent witnesses claimed they saw the Bentley barreling down the street. Each described the driver as wearing a white helmet and billowing scarf. Coincidentally, a white helmet and billowing scarf was Tim Birkin's traditional racing uniform. To add further mystery, Tim Birkin had been dead five years, ostensibly well beyond the point of stealing a motor car, let alone breaking into a locked garage. Just three nights later, a patrol car on a main road near Crystal Palace was passed by a "Bentley sports car traveling at an excessive speed on the wrong side of the carriageway." The driver again wore white headgear and a sporty flapping scarf. After comparing this sighting to the Streatham reports, an officer decided to check on Captain Alexander's car. He found it locked securely in the garage. Near the end of August, Constable Edwin Day while on duty in Crystal Palace heard a car roaring furiously toward him. Day knew of the earlier Phantom Bentley reports. As the Bentley sped by, Day read the license plate numbers and knew that it was Captain Alexander's. However, Alexander was not behind the wheel, but a different man, one wearing a white hat with scarf snapping in the breeze. A patrol car was dispatched, and arrived within 20 minutes at Captain Alexander's residence. A bleary-eyed Alexander opened the door to the policemen's knocks, saying he had been asleep for two hours, and that his car had not been driven that evening. The mystified Captain led the police to his locked garage. There, an officer walked around the Bentley's front, and touched a hand to the car's radiator. It was still hot from its evening sporting. Through the years, Captain Alexander refused to accept any paranormal explanation for his car's disappearance. Strangely, following this episode, the phantom motorist seemingly lost interest, and no other late night drives were reported nor was any explanation ever found.

Source: "Was a Phantom Driver Behind Bentley's Wheel?"
C. Johnston, Leicester Mercury, Thursday, June 21, 2001
:blink:

#5 andyt

andyt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:53 PM

The story of the railwayman sounds a bit like one in North Carolina, at a place called Maco - it's the story of Joe Baldwin, who was decapitated on the railroad, and a strange light was seen for many years afterwards, which was supposed to be Joe looking for his head. Apparently there are a few more stories like this in the States, - decapitated railwaymen- but the Maco one is interesting in that a puzzling light was seen by lots of people, and the ghost story aside, presented a strange phenomenon in itself. There are theories that these lights, found everywhere, called Spook lights, might be ball lightening, or marsh gas, but no one really knows. Do a google search on Spook lights to find out more. Makes me wonder if there was one in CP that then had a similar story as Maco attached to it. Saw a property programme a few months ago featuring Crystal Palace, that said that we were on some major ley line ( anyone know anymore about that?) - so there should be a few wierd things going on. A Bentley-driving phantom at least shows that the CP ghosts have a certain distinction to them...

#6 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:03 PM

Found this on the thisislondon website.......

FRIENDLY GHOSTS TO PLAY AT ST VALERY.

A stroll down Beulah Hill is like a walk through a time warp.

It's a street full of majestic buildings, steeped in history, with a heritage that does not go unnoticed.

St Valery, a supposedly-haunted Victorian mansion, is now divided into flats.

"The building was erected in 1880 on the site of an old inn called the Royal Oak which was demolished in 1852," says local historian John Brown, from Green Lane, Streatham. "The house was designed by Sextus Dyball for Robert `Bob' Lee, a successful bookmaker. Local legend has it that the house was named after a racehorse named St Valery whose endeavours on the track helped Mr Lee amass his fortune.

"However, no reference to a horse of this name has been found in the racing records of the day. Notwithstanding this, it is more likely the house was named by Mr Lee after the seventh century abbott who became St Valery."

"I lived on the middle floor at St Valery from 1985-1988," adds Pilar Howard, now living in Croydon. "It was a beautiful house before it was split up and modernised. The owner was a relative of the Queen Mother and she told me a lot about the house as she had it for a long time. Her brother lived there in the chauffeur's quarters.

"There was definitely a ghost of a young woman about and I saw her often. In fact, once there was a fire in my kitchen and she woke me up
!

"I always felt very happy at St Valery. It's with pride I look back to those happy days as it was a real privilege to live in such a beautiful place."

A little further along Beulah Hill is the Beulah Spa, which was founded in Upper Norwood in 1831, at a time when spas were beginning to decline in the capital.

A 12-foot deep pure saline well, whose water had been analysed by the famous Michael Faraday, was the epicentre of the spa, the main active constituent being magnesium sulphate (Epsom salt).

The bubbling spring water had a reputation for its healing properties since the late 17th century.

Acclaimed architect Decimus Burton designed the pump room and the other spa buildings, but the main features of the resort were the more quirky ones, like the maze, camera obscura, and the archery ground.

The 30 acres included undulating lawns, carriage drives and winding footpaths with spectacular views over the Surrey Hills.

At Tivoli Lodge (originally Rustic Lodge), uniformed gatekeepers collected the one shilling admission fee and two shillings a gallon to deliver the spa water.

Sadly, the site was short-lived: it could not compete with the nearby Crystal Palace. The spa closed in 1855 and the buildings demolished.

Tivoli Lodge, which still survives, has been awarded a heritage plaque and the Beulah Spa pub now occupies the site.

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000.Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.

#7 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:50 PM

oh i heard about the ghost at the harvester at beaulah hill.....even though half the story got cut off on your reply.....the springs along that road during victorian times had to be diverted eventually because it ran through the all saints churchyard right through the coffins people started to find bits of corpses in their water...including toenails, skin and hair...urgh rich in vitamins i suppose...not....
This story came from the book ' The Pheonix Suburb" which is out of print but is a must read for residents of the norwoods.... :(

#8 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:01 PM

Ooh Twinkle, do type up those ghost stories! Mine comes from my sister who used to live in Auckland Road in a new house built on the site of an old Victorian one - in the days when they pulled down those lovely old red brick houses in favour of flats etc. Anyway, she was looking out the window onto the garden - which adjoins Sylvan School playing field - and saw an old gentleman dressed in old-fashioned clothes in her garden. Wondering what he was doing there she was about to go out to speak to him when he walked straight through the fence and disappeared. She also saw a "grey lady" in the house from time to time and this is even more interesting, because her son was only a toddler at the time and he asked her who that lady was...
Dod anyone else watch "Most Haunted" on Living TV/ftn? The repeated series has finished now but I was totally hooked!
aka Pie

#9 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:24 PM

*** I love Most Haunted - especially Yvette Fielding's screams and Derek's 'episodes'! :D

#10 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:30 PM

i saw only one episode of this and was watching it on my own....bad idea...it completely freaked me out - it was in a prison and they spent a night in one cell which was really haunted, cold, smelt of roses and yvette completley lost it and started crying plus they place a crucifix on a piece of paper, traced around it and started to record...tey played it back and the cross moved and the paper ripple.....eeeek.....i cant watch it now.....it would be great if they could find somewhere in Norwood to do a program... i know there was a really serious poltergeist problem in a house in melfort road thornton heath in the 1930's and near enough through the months all their posessions got trashed by whatever it was and they even had the papers there etc....spooky....... :ph34r: :blink: :lol:

#11 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:44 PM

Not very local but I was sitting in a cafe at Victoria station a few years back reading a book. The book was a really weird one by W B Yeats all about automatic writing and 'spiritual' happenings. Yeats claimed he used to constantly see ghosts dressed in historical costumes.

As I was reading this I looked up to see two Civil War Roundheads standing by Platform 11!

Turns out they were going to a historical reencatment but I really freaked myself out for a few minutes. :blink:

#12 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:31 PM

Ummm.... I used to be a reenactor (Dark Ages) & we certainly got accused of being a lot of things, including ghosts... Scared a poor man out of his wits on top of St Catherine's Hill, Winchester. Apparently the last thing you expect to see when walking your dog is a couple of Vikings hammering 7 bells out of each other with 6ft spears... :D Don't think I'll be indulging round CP, though... :)

I used to live in Eylewood Road, & the old boy next door used to mutter dark things about the farm labourers disliking the new estate over the other side of Elder Road & coming back to haunt it... But we had a few of those legends where I grew up in Surrey, so I tended to take it with a pinch of salt. And he really didn't like the youf that hung around at the top of the road!

#13 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:12 PM

I'm sure we must have a ghost that regularly haunts our hallway. It seems to move freely there, but no-one has actually seen or heard it. Only in the morning do I know it has been. :huh:

If I leave my wallet in the hall with some money in it, then I can guarantee that the ghost - or some malevalent tooth fairy that has been seduced by the dark side - will spirit a fiver out of it. The doors are locked and the alarm is on, so earthly forces cannot be at work. :o

Now my wife insists it can only be the work of a ghost. <_<
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#14 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:31 AM

yes i agree there must be a ghost in our victorian house who likes cans of cider....because when i get up in the morning and go to the fridge all the cans have disappeared!!!!! spooky....

No seiously i will get that book and put some exerts of the ghost stories around on this site....There is said to be a ghost of a nunn at Virgo Fidelis School who roams at night in the grounds looking for her old building which i beleive was pulled down to make way for an extension to the school....

In those large houses on church road there must be some ghosts....one of those houses looks like something out of amerteville horror..... :blink:

#15 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:39 AM

Yes, I know the house you mean Twinkle - it's a classic haunted house.

Keep the stories coming, this thread is great!
Mel, Forum Moderator