• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:42 AM

Tell me which one you mean, I'm intrigued.

#17 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:57 AM

If we are thinking about the same house, then it's on the right hand side (heading down from the Triangle). I think it's about 1/3 to half way down.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#18 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:12 AM

Do you mean the one just before the Queens Hotel and after the park (there's a picture of it on Virtual Streets). Because I live on a little alley that curves round behind it and it's even spookier from the back.

#19 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:13 AM

yes thats right!....it has a small fountain/pond out in the front garden...looks lovely inside but looks terribly haunted too...even looking at the windows makes you wonder if anyone's looking back at you....eeek......with all the historic places we have in walking distance there must be some stories to tell....

some time ago i heard that someone rennovating a whole house in church road came across a whole dinner service (china) buried underneath floorboards depicting the visit of Queen Victoria to the crystal palace and it was all smashed and they came to the conclusion that a maid had dropped the service and tried to hide the evidence...now with that guilt & worry do you think that maid to this very day goes down to the kitchen/basement and starts digging for the dinner service but now she can't find it and is now a disturbed ghost worrying that her employers have found the smashed dinner service!!!.... :unsure:
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#20 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:48 AM

boo !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#21 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:22 AM

Went for a walk down Church Road on Saturday and had a really good look at all the houses down there - some of them are so scary-looking! (and beautiful). We normally drive down there, so it was nice to take a stroll and have a good look (feel like i'm turning into a pensioner before my time though!) ;)

#22 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:40 AM

yes thats right!....it has a small fountain/pond out in the front garden...looks lovely inside but looks terribly haunted too...

Have you been inside it then?

Is it flats or all one house?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#23 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:30 PM

Ooh Twinkle, do type up those ghost stories! Mine comes from my sister who used to live in Auckland Road in a new house built on the site of an old Victorian one - in the days when they pulled down those lovely old red brick houses in favour of flats etc. Anyway, she was looking out the window onto the garden - which adjoins Sylvan School playing field - and saw an old gentleman dressed in old-fashioned clothes in her garden. Wondering what he was doing there she was about to go out to speak to him when he walked straight through the fence and disappeared. She also saw a "grey lady" in the house from time to time and this is even more interesting, because her son was only a toddler at the time and he asked her who that lady was...
Dod anyone else watch "Most Haunted" on Living TV/ftn? The repeated series has finished now but I was totally hooked!

Oooo I live in Auckland Road..haven't noticed any spooky goings on yet.

#24 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 03:23 PM

ok the first of a list of ghost stories:
Beaulah Lodge in Church Road - Its white walls, blue shuttered windows and the carved bargeboards suggest a fairytale illustration.

Built in the early 19th century it is said to have been used as a hunting lodge by William IV. It was visited by the Rev. Montegue Brown who was most fascinated by the long garden full of large old trees. He described them as forming an avenue with foliage so thick that they gave complete shade, even on the hottest day. He went on to describe a large stone cross that stood mid way along covered in ivy yet bearing no inscription. It was also decorated with carvings of hour glasses and laying at the base was the jawbone of a dog.

The ghost was of a young poor gipsy girl who died when she fell down a well in the centre of the house. Her small figure appears on evenings dancing lightly across the rooftop...but when you are asleep in the house you hear the light tapping on the tiles as if someone was playing hopskotch.....

#25 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 03:37 PM

GHOST story no. 2 :o

Standing near Anerley Hill close to the site of the crystal palace is a small cottage (or was, not sure) When it was sold the previous owner told the purchaser that she believed that the house was haunted and proceeded to describe her experiences.

She said that various occations she definatley heard footsteps walking around the house when she knew knowone was in except herself. One evening as she was sitting in her living room she heard the front door slam shut. The door was locked with a key and she had that key...so who was it??? She heard footsteps approaching the door and expected someone to enter, instead they passed and climbed the stairs. She armed herself with a heavy object and went up the stairs expecting to find an intruder...nothing was found.

The new owner of the property wasnt deterred from buying and moved in happily with her dog. One eveing she left her dog in the lounge whilst she finished the washing up and suddenly heard the dog frantically barking, she rushed into the room to find the dog jumping up as if someone was infront of him.....so she dragged the dog into the kitchen but no sooner she had did this he slipped his lead and went straight back to the original spot where he continued to jump up and the fur on his back was standig on end...Since that night nothing else weird happend....maybe the ghost was afraid of dogs.... :unsure:

#26 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:24 PM

The other night I was walking home very late along Church Road. A slight chill wind in the night air was taken away by a bag of warm chips in my hand. I was looking forward to getting home and having a late supper. :)

The traffic was quite light and there was no sign of a soul walking out on the street. Although the sky was clear and the moon was full, the large trees cast long, dark shadows over the road, creating strange and sinister shapes.

As I turned the corner by All Saints church, the chill became sharper and I quickened my pace. The shadows of the trees danced on the gravestones and I began to sense something unusual. Iím not superstitious or one to believe in the supernatural, but there was a feeling of some unnatural presence. :huh:

Through the hum of the traffic and the breeze in the trees, I could just make out what sounded like a voice. And it was coming from the cemetery.

I heard the voice again. And it was beckoning me over. Over to the gravestones and the shadows.

I stopped and listened to this voice without a body. And it beckoned me again. :unsure:

Was it the lost spirit of someone who was in eternal torment after their life was tragically cut short? Their anguished cries cutting through the cool night air. :o

In a split second, it came to me. No, it was more likely to be two or three *** with a baseball bat. So I carried on and enjoyed my chip supper! :lol:
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#27 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:09 AM

Borgus - you cynic :D .

Love your ghost tales Twinkle - keep them coming.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#28 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:38 AM

Ok ive got another one for you guys....
story 3

A woman was looking after her sons flat in upper norwood. As she was bending down in the kitchen, she suddenly had the feeling that she wasnt alone...Had her son returned home early from work??? She stood up and turning slowly glanced into the hall. There to her amazement she saw a figure of a lady dressed in a small grey cape and bonnet. As she waited the figure moved slowly up the hall, then disappeared through the wall. She realised too that the flat had become icey cold and the hair on her arms was standing on end....her husband came to collect her and she told the story to him and to her relief he believed her.

The flat was modern but originally the ground was accomadated by a very old house which we think was where the ghost returned to every night but couldnt find the original home...maybe this is what disturbed the ghost... The son was only told of the mysterious lady when he had moved. He knew of the spirit but didnt want to tell his mum...(maybe because she would stop cleaning his house for him...crafty!!)

i wish they had put the addresses of these hauntings in....would make it far more interesting..... :unsure:

#29 Simmondsan

Simmondsan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:11 AM

I went to school at St. Josephs College on Beulah Hill and I am sure that there was a story about a Grey Lady wandering around the grecian villa. Can't remember the whole story though.

#30 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:51 AM

oh there is one about st josephs i will write it up after ive had me lunch..... :P