Ghost Stories about Crystal Palace

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:45 PM

Borgus, I love your ghostly story and glad to hear you didn't drop your chips. I live opposite All Saints Church and it is quite creepy at night. My cat used to run across Church Rd and into the churchyard and I have in the past gone looking for her at dusk amongst the gravestones ... wouldn't do it now but not for fear of ghosts!!
aka Pie

#32 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:18 PM

...well theres a lot of old graves there with people buried who would have had interesting lives..... when i was younger we would do a carole service at the church and by the time we came out it was dark so we always used to dare each other to run around the whole church by ourselves.... hmmmmm i never had the guts to do this...i think that worked in my favour... never had any restless nights having bad dreams like the others who did the run!!!
Some of the graves which have big stone coffins have had the tops moved slighly so there are gaps...a bit scarey to think whats tried to get in there or whats tried to get out!!!...eek! :unsure:
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#33 Laura

Laura

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:25 AM

Does anyone know anything interesting about Mowbray Rd, as I know someone who lives in those 50/60’s three storey flats towards the bottom of the street (Maberley Road end) and they have all sorts of strange goings on in there! One visitor has felt a crying child ‘locked in’!!! :unsure:

They have been told it maybe linked to a previous building, does anyone know what was there :ph34r: or was it just more red brick houses?

#34 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:21 PM

I remember being told and checked with a friend that the St. Josephs College R.C. School at the top of Beulah hill (Where the big junction between crown dale, knights hill is) has a ghost.
Friend told me was told this in the early 80's when he was in his first year. He had lessons with his head of year and was given an official history of the monks who run the school and the history of the school itself.
Before it was a school (19th century?), the main building was the areas "big house". And owned a lot of the land around that area, now houses. They might have had horses, and one was entered into a major race. The butler or maybe it was head stable person bet all his money that the horse would win. The house only contained a small staff since the family and most of the staff had gone to see the horse race. One of the few staff there was the butler/ or maybe head stables person.
Obviously for the sake of the ghost story, the horse lost. Suicidally depressed brankrupt butler goes up to the first floor, into one of the rooms at the front of the building and hangs himself from the balcony/columns at the front of the building where he stayed hung until the next morning. Source was not sure of exact details but it's a true story.

Obvious next part is ghosty bit. He now haunts the house, now the main building of the School where they have the reception and headmasters office (in the 80's). People who found themselves in the building early in the morning hear doors banging on the first floor. Problem is as these are the offices of the headmaster etc, they are locked at night.

Interesting to see if Twinkles version will be different.

#35 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:49 AM

I researched the history of everyone who lived in my house since 1861. I wonder if there are any ghouls lurking around. Anyone seen that film with Nicole Kidman "The Others"? - spooky!

#36 Truffle

Truffle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:52 PM

Re the St Joseph's College ghost. My brother and his schoolmates were always told the man hanged himself from one of the two stone eagles above the old school entrance - they're clearly visible from the road.

#37 Sasha

Sasha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

I went to Rockmount Infants and Jrs and was always told that the jr school was haunted does anyone know anything about that?? :)

Edited by Sasha, 13 May 2006 - 01:12 PM.

#38 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Completely forgotten about this thread. Do we have any new ghost stories?

#39 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

Someone make one up

#40 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Charlie, didn't you elude to one you had on 'good authority' last year, you tease?!

#41 peakoverload

peakoverload

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

I have one and it's 100% not made up. Make of it what you will. I grew up in one of the old Victorian houses on Church Road, I won't name which one it is for the sake of the present owner but just to say it was one of the ones very close to Westow Park.

There used to be, and probably still is, a serving hatch between the kitchen and the living room and when we were living there we had a table backed up to the wall in the kitchen directly under the hatch. Quite frequently as a child I would be sat in the living room and see the sillouette of a woman walk past the hatch in the kitchen but it couldn't actually be a person because the table was in the way. It never used to scare me because the sillouette looked very much like my mum with shoulder length hair who was and still is very much alive. I never ever spoke of this to anyone until years later when the whole family had gathered together for some occassion or another (after the family had moved out of the house on Church Road). We were all sat around talking about 'the old days' and talking about the house when my older sister said. "I used to see mum's ghost walking from the hall into the kitchen". This was the first time either of us had ever mentioned it. I turned around and said "I used to see it walking past the hatch in the kitchen up to the bedrooms".

We were both totally suprised and shocked that we had both seemingly seen the same thing so much so that we both started to describe precisely what we had seen. Our descriptions were so identical that we could finish off the other persons description before they finished saying it. Interestingly she also said that she never found it scary and also thought it looked like our mum. We saw this 'ghost' numerous times over a 20 year period. I often wonder if the current owner has ever seen the same thing.

#42 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

My older sister lived in Auckland Road in the mid-60s. It was one of a pair of new houses built on the site of an old Victorian one - sadly they knocked down a lot for redevelopment then. Anyway they had a resident ghost - "the grey lady" as her baby son referred to it. No one found their ghost scarey including the baby who thought she was a real person. Plus she once looked lot of the kitchen window to see an old gent dressed in old-fashioned clothes crossing her back garden. As she watched and wondered what he was doing there, he walked straight through the side fence.

All perfectly true - although I stayed with them for a while later on, but never saw anything myself.
aka Pie

#43 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

" Plus she once looked lot of the kitchen window to see an old gent dressed in old-fashioned clothes crossing her back garden. As she watched and wondered what he was doing there, he walked straight through the side fence."

anyone ever drunk so much they cant remember the next day how they got home from the pub?

#44 VKJ

VKJ

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

anyone ever drunk so much they cant remember the next day how they got home from the pub?

Many a time, hic! :blink:

#45 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

Interesting thread here with some ghostly stuff.

http://www.virtualno...in-church-road/