• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pupkin

pupkin

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

I was listening to Radio 4 this morning and apparently Raymond Chandler went to school in Upper Norwood.

Whoda thunk it?

Theres a programme about him on Radio 4 @ 11 am today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b00y2vgf

#2 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

I was listening to Radio 4 this morning and apparently Raymond Chandler went to school in Upper Norwood.

Whoda thunk it?

Yes I heard that too, but annoyingly forgot to listen to the programme. He lived in Auckland Road - anyone know if there's a blue plaque? I can't recall seeing one.
aka Pie

#3 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

I don't know where he started his schooling, but he most certainly finished it at Dulwich College. They're very proud of him!

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for this Pupkin. I didn't know he was from Upper Norwood - where on Auckland Rd did he live?

Will listen to the programme later - there's only 20 hours left to listen btw.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 pupkin

pupkin

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for this Pupkin. I didn't know he was from Upper Norwood - where on Auckland Rd did he live?

Will listen to the programme later - there's only 20 hours left to listen btw.

I'm not sure where on Auckland Rd.
I just caught the programme trailer as I was leaving for work.
It was with his aunt & grandmother.

#6 Halszka

Halszka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Whoda thunk it?

I know he attended Dulwich College so I can only assume, that if he did livein Aukland Road, that he either went to Cypress or All Saints [although not sure when these schools may have been established as he came to Uk at the turn of the last century] prior to going there.

#7 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

Interesting article here by Eric Kings in the Spring 2011 edition of The Norwood Review:

http://www.norwoodso...f/review192.pdf

"He was brought to London in 1900 at the age of 12, and with the help of an
affluent uncle, lived at Mount Cyra, 110 Auckland Road Upper Norwood, a
pleasant Victorian villa. An article in the Radio Times for 29th January – 4th
February 2011 by Martyn Waites was headed ‘..how the mean streets of Upper
Norwood shaped Raymond Chandler’. Auckland Road at that time was a
middle – or even upper – class street, and remains a good address, so Waites
got that seriously wrong. Any experience of ‘mean streets’ would surely have
referred to Chicago, where he lived for 12 years, and presumably went to
school there.

On arrival in London Chandler, presumably supported by his uncle, attended
Dulwich College, and his name joins those of other famous people too many to
mention. On leaving (and being naturalized as a British Subject) he was
successful in passing the Civil Service examination (he was third on the list of
successful candidates) but found the post he was given not to his liking and so
embarked, not very successfully, on journalism and writing reviews and poetry.
In 1913 he and his mother, still financed by his uncle, settled in Los Angeles,
and he trained as a bookkeeper until war service in France with the Canadians."

I think No.110 would be just to the south of St John's church, where the flats of Auckland Rise are now. Another great local connection.

Edited by andreas, 02 July 2011 - 12:35 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#8 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

BBC Radio thinks Auckland Road is in West Norwood! Mean streets of Upper Norwood - brilliant. 

Raymond Chandler given blue plaque in mean streets of Upper Norwood

Creator of hard-boiled LA detective Philip Marlowe lived in leafy London suburb while a pupil at nearby Dulwich College
Raymond-Chandler-011.jpg
Humphrey Bogart, as Philip Marlowe, and Lauren Bacall in the film version of Chandler’s The Big Sleep. Photograph: Silver Screen Collection/Getty Images

Down those not very mean streets of Dulwich and Upper Norwood a man must go, to see a new English Heritage blue plaque honouring one of the most improbable residents of the leafy and affluent south London suburbs: Raymond Chandler, creator of Philip Marlowe, the 10-minute egg of the world of hard-boiled detectives.

The clue was in the name: while the rumpled, hungover but noble detective would have looked, as Chandler wrote in Farewell, My Lovely, “about as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a slice of angel food” in Edwardian Norwood, he was christened Marlowe in honour of Chandler’s house at his old school, Dulwich College.

2249fcfc-2f17-4bab-9b3c-eb42d7c52727-460

Raymond Chandler blue plaque Photograph: PR

The author of Farewell, My Lovely, The Big Sleep, and The Long Goodbye, whose detective hero was immortalised on screen by Humphrey Bogart, later stayed at more obviously Chandleresque locations including the Connaught and the Ritz. The plaque, however, has been unveiled on a house at Auckland Road, Upper Norwood, a double-fronted Victorian villa that became the London home where he lived longest, from 1900 to 1905, while he was a day student at the college preparing for his civil service exams.

His biographer, Tom Williams, said the connection came as a surprise to many. “Chandler seems Californian through and through but he was born in Chicago and educated in London. He took two very important things from Dulwich: a grounding in the classics that protected him against pretension, which made his writing so very much better than most of his contemporaries, and a chivalric code of patriotism and honour, very much the ethos promoted in public schools of the day, which is at the core of Marlowe,” he said.

Chandler described his Marlowe as “a shop-soiled Galahad”, and Williams pointed out that he studied in Dulwich library under a painting of the Arthurian hero by the Victorian artist GF Watts. “Every Marlowe story is essentially a grail quest,” he said.

Chandler kept up the connection with the school long after he returned to the US, making a friend for life in a San Francisco coffee shop because they were both wearing their old school boaters, and sending back food parcels in the second world war to one of his teachers.

fa7d68b1-2981-481e-a6b8-48b10e53bc5d-460

Raymond Chandler, pictured, came to London as a boy with his Irish mother after his father abandoned the family. Photograph: Bettmann/CORBIS

Chandler came to London from the States with his Irish mother after his father abandoned the family: an uncle paid for their accommodation and his school fees, but refused to pay for him to go on to university. Chandler had already tried journalism and poetry, but took up writing again in the Depression after losing his job with an oil company, the last of many failed desk jobs. He published The Big Sleep in 1939 and found his true vocation.

Joseph Spence, master of Dulwich College, said: “Chandler’s Philip Marlowe may speak with a Los Angeles accent, but his syntax owes more to Virgil and Livy than to any later writers.”

Chandler overlapped by a term but never met another improbable old boy, PG Wodehouse. Although Jeeves would never have allowed Wooster out wearing Marlowe’s “powder-blue suit, with dark blue shirt, tie and display handkerchief, black brogues, black wool socks with dark little clocks on them. I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn’t care who knew it. I was everything the well-dressed private detective ought to be. I was calling on four million dollars” – many critics have suggested both authors owe much to their solid grounding in the classics at Dulwich.

The historian David Cannadine once invited readers to judge whether Wodehouse or Chandler wrote the sentence “A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained glass window”. (it was Chandler, in Farewell, My Lovely.)

Chandler’s blue plaque joins those of other stars of the detective fiction world including Agatha Christie in Holland Park and Arthur Conan Doyle in South Norwood.

• This article was amended on 7 October 2014. It originally attributed the quote “about as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a slice of angel food” to The Big Sleep. In fact, it is found in Farewell, My Lovely. This has been corrected.

Edited by charlie, 07 October 2014 - 07:52 PM.