• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:27 AM

There is an article on pages 10-111 of the Guardian today about the sale of some previously unseen photo's of The Crysatl Place and some nice images of what it looked like in its prime

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:48 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...don/3579404.stm

Off to buy a copy of The Guardian...
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:07 AM

Wow - lovely pics, esp the one of the exterior showing the Crystal Palace in all it's glory. I'd love to see the rest of the prints. I hope whoever buys them chooses to display them publically. I'd hate to see something like that just stashed away in someone's private collection.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#4 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:15 AM

Gekko

The Art shop opposite Safeways has quite a good collection of prints and photos of the old Crystal Palace and the Museum sell a good range as well. They are similar to the ones that feature in the Guardian

I have also got the amazing picture of the Crystal Palace which is taken from Gipsy Hill - its only when you see it towering above all the Houses in the valley that you appreciate just how huge it was - am pretty sure the picture is also available in the Museum Shop - its certainly in lots of local history books

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:23 AM

Thanks James. I've not been in the art shop opp Safeway although have nosed in the window.

I think I've seen the one taken from Gipsy Hill in the museum too.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:29 AM

I just did a search for that photo on the web. Couldn't find it but did find these rather cool pics of them building the BBC mast.
BBC Mast

#7 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:49 AM

i hope this works for you guys but the photography group called getty collate every image possible of everything and i have searched for CP images and here you go...click on the imges and you will get a larger one....pity they are soo damn expensive... :(

http://editorial.get... palace|0|0&p=7

plus if you go on ebay you can buy things from CP and postcards of the grounds.... :ph34r:
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#8 Simmondsan

Simmondsan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:01 AM

I've seen the picture taken from Gipsy Hill down Woodland Hill, the Palace looms over everything, making the houses look minute in comparison. That picture really brings it home as to how dominating the Palace was and whilst I love the history surrounding the Palace I am also glad that it is no longer there.

#9 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:06 AM

i don't believe that black & white photographs do justice to how the colours of the light refracted off the glass on the crystal palace...obviously it looks dark and dingey....and its enormous structure would have let light through but also crystal palace the place wouldnt exist atall without that building....and i like living in a palace.....! :)

#10 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:10 PM

I've seen the picture taken from Gipsy Hill down Woodland Hill, the Palace looms over everything, making the houses look minute in comparison. That picture really brings it home as to how dominating the Palace was and whilst I love the history surrounding the Palace I am also glad that it is no longer there.

It is huge but surely better than the Airport Terminal style building that Bromley proposed.

I've always felt that a scaled down version of the old building should be constructed which could house the museum and have some exhibition space to house a modern style "great exhibition" collection of new innovations in art ,new technology and design. Alternatively it could house some decent ecology projects - rather like the Palm House at Kew

I know there all sorts of opinions about what should be done to the site and arguments about cost/who should be responsible for it but it strikes me that this is just the sort of project that things like the lottery was designed to pay for

The Crystal Palace was synonymous with the growth of the area and the excellent examples of Victorian and Edwardian architecture in the area - even the abandoned victorian toilets opposite - which I think were part of the Railway station and line that ran along what is now the main road

It just such a pity that no one seems able to come up with a project that is grounded in the historical significance of what was there

May be the "Friends Of Crystal Palace Park " should start thinking about this

#11 Simmondsan

Simmondsan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:28 PM

I was opposed to the airport terminal style proposal too. And I would be opposed to a rebuilding of the Palace if it was on the same scale. Problem with a smaller scale one is whether or not it would make money, there are area's where funding could come from but to make it a viable proposition would mean whatever get's built needs to generate revenue to turn in a profit.

#12 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:39 PM

i think it would just be nice to have some landscaped gardens and a few shallow fountains....its doesnt need to be a building....just soemwhere people could go and relax and enjoy what little leisure time most of us have........Just do up the terraces (whats left of them) and landscape it.....

anyways back to the original posts of this topic....get it right and people will start taking pictures again...so in another 150years time they will be proud memories of the crystal palace 2nd time round.... ;)

#13 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:15 PM

In the dark days when Kentucky Fried Chicken was considered to be the new revolution in the fast food industry, I started out working for Balfour Beatty Power Transmission Division (who were then based in Mayday Road). The Special Projects department there had been responsible for the design, construction and erection of the Crystal Palace transmitter tower for the BBC. Subsequently, they worked on the strengthening of it and additional extension.

All the original drawings were all done with indian ink on waxed pure Irish linen. There was even an 8' long drawing of the complete tower.

Being on the bottom end of the office food chain, one regular job was to run the projector to show in-house films for clients, fabricators, new staff, etc. This included showing the film of the building of the Crystal Palace tower, almost to the point of being sick of the sight of it!

The film, in colour, lasted about 20 minutes. As the erection of the structure progressed, more panoramic views of the local area and south London were seen. I seem to recall shots of Crystal Palace Parade with the old RT buses there.

If anyone is interested, they could try contacting Balfour Beatty to see if it is available on a video. The Masts & Tower department moved up to Raynesway, in Derby, so it may be there now.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#14 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:46 PM

The Picture Palace have loads of stuff on the Palace not all of its for show they have lots of stuff filed away you ,should ask for Glyn or Mark to pull out all of their stock when you next pay a visit.

Doesnt everybody have that coloured print of the Palace in their home ?

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#15 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:38 PM

Ray Hall of People and Places International has a scheme which celebrates the past design-wise as the building would be a smaller version of the original palace. Because of its design, it could house any number of things. His firm of architects have been working on it for a good few years and it is now being offered up to the powers to be. It will be more in the public domain soon but in the meantime if anyone is interested I can arrange for them to meet with the architect.