• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:17 PM

I think talk of rebuilding the Palace, whether on a smaller scale or as it was is misguided and unimaginative. It was a celebration of its time and as such, if we are to have a new Palace, it should be a modern day version. I don't know if anyone saw the plans for the huge glass structure on stilts boasting the world's longest escalator but that is the type of thing we should be looking at.
The old Palace is best consigned to history as an amazing building and we should move forwards. I blame the grey suited unimaginative town planners for not having the balls to do something dynamic and pull their fingers out.
Also, I will carry on moaning about the need for a good fishmongers and butchers in the Palace. Morrisons is not good enough and there are plenty of people who don't just want to eat battered mars bars all the time...

#17 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:03 PM

I don't know if anyone saw the plans for the huge glass structure on stilts boasting the world's longest escalator but that is the type of thing we should be looking at.

I'm not sure what's imaginative or forward-looking about a big glass ball on stilts that looks like something out of an H. G. Wells novel :D .

I agree about the need to be innovative and fresh, but outer space style structures are so 'last century' :unsure: .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#18 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:33 PM

I still like it, but I know what you mean about the prevalence of this kind of architecture. I love seeing the Gherkin as I go down Gipsy Hill, though.

I agree it needs to be innovative and would be interested in seeing other ideas.

#19 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:06 PM

Yes, I love the gherkin actually. It stands out wonderfully amongst the city skyline. I think it's a fine example of this sort of architecture. It's the stilts thing that puts me off the CP plans.
Mel, Forum Moderator