• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

Now that the G&G site has permission for a cinema the only other spot ( other than 25CR) in the offing is the Victory Place site. It seems the developer who has owned the site for a fair few years now is drawing up plans for a boutique hotel, cinema , market square, bar, restaurant and some flats. This will be the 3rd major scheme drawn up for the site . The other two were for a load of flats.

There was an article for those that missed it in the last transmitter mag (pg12- 15)with more info.

http://blog.thetrans...-15-is-out.html

Huge site
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What do you reckon?

#2 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

I'm a bit concerned about the drawings' extrapolations of the level of obesity in the Upper Norwood population... must be all these food shops opening.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#3 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

I'm a bit concerned about the drawings' extrapolations of the level of obesity in the Upper Norwood population... must be all these food shops opening.

Ah but it depends on what utopia you go for.

In future CP image 1 everyone is tall and thin but in future CP image 2 they are rather rotund. What we need is a happy medium ;)

#4 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

My first choice is No 25.

If that is a definite non-goer, then I am up for Victory Place.

AWS - I have just eaten THREE (post works drink up) peanut butter sarnies, ergo I am the rotund figure in mauve on the left hand side :(

(Edited to add, the G&G is sacrosanct - not to be touched!).

Edited by Summit Lover, 09 February 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#5 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

I love the idea of a proper village square. A place to sit outside, kids can run around whilst mummy has a coffee. :rolleyes: Once a week a proper market, and maybe a few little events (outdoor kids theatre, afternoon concerts etc) and a cinema at the heart of it. That sounds all very god, but somehow I am not convinced by the whole hotel, shop, retail etc kinda thing... It seems a wee bit oversized for CP... :unsure:

#6 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

That sounds all very god,

What's god got to do with it Miss P?? *In the voice of Tina turner*

There is one there that looks like a dolphin - it's me and it is obviously looking to attract the Moomins too.

Edited by charlie, 09 February 2011 - 11:21 PM.

#7 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:34 PM

(Edited to add, the G&G is sacrosanct - not to be touched!).

I'm with you on that one.

The scheme looks fine to me, but I'm a bit mythed why someone would want to build a hotel in CP? We already have the Queens hotel and the Cambridge do rooms for 30 per night ;)

P.S. Not sure how the small bit outlined behind Sainsburys fits into the plan?

#8 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

I'm with you on that one.

The scheme looks fine to me, but I'm a bit mythed why someone would want to build a hotel in CP? We already have the Queens hotel and the Cambridge do rooms for 30 per night ;)

Ha ha liking the Cambridge reference but I think you will find that there will be quite a lot of support for a boutique hotel of the Bermondsey Square type in Crystal Palace from both residents and traders.

Reason for edit: Well spotted on the bit behind Sainsbury's - how wierd - maybe it is a community benefit? ;)

Edited by charlie, 09 February 2011 - 11:47 PM.

#9 Chris73

Chris73

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:39 PM

Not sure if you are serious Hermit but that bit is the key.

Basically they are saying that they won't interfere with Los Toreros.

#10 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

Not sure if you are serious Hermit but that bit is the key.

Ah, so it is....I will forward my details to the CPTPG, I feel I could be a real asset :unsure:

#11 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

It's the landing pad after jumping on the red and the blue lines from the top of the roof... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#12 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

It's the landing pad after jumping on the red and the blue lines from the top of the roof... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think that bit is just the key - showing that the bits highlighted in pink are buildings that won't be knocked down...just seems to be one building there that won't be touched, opposite Sainsbury's. (I hope Forty-Seven will still be there!)

#13 CPAndy

CPAndy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

Will the shops be occupied by high street names I wonder. I can see the area going rapidly the way that Greenwich went. It used to be have a simlar villagy vibe to CP with a vibrant market and loads of independent shops but then when the Dome and the DLR were built it changed rapidly. The market has now largely gone apart from the covered one and a smaller one next to the cinema. It seems to me that planners think ooh there's a successful place with lots of visitors lets build them more flats and shops they can go to without thinking that by knocking down the market and building said "amenities" on it it will take away the reason for it being like it is. How viable is all this it seems a bit overload for an area that can't fill the empty shops it has already.

#14 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

It is getting better on the empty shop (which has blighted many shopping streets in the last 12 months or so) front though, for example Due South and the new deli are due to open.

#15 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

It is getting better on the empty shop (which has blighted many shopping streets in the last 12 months or so) front though, for example Due South and the new deli are due to open.

Isn't it the case that a fair few of the empty shops are because the landlord want either extortionate rent or that they are not bothered having an empty shop.

I wish someone ( Local council/Chamber of commerce/whoever) did some sort of audit to find out who owns what and why they are empty.
Can they really be that hard to let. I mean that nice looking one on Westow Hill which would make an ideal restaurant/bar has been empty for years.
How many times have people said, for example, they would like a butchers/fishmonger and the only really viable choice is a poor selection at Sainsburys.
Surely someone in authority should be attracting business to the area.

Anyway back to this one . I think the developer is planning on attracting " boutique " shops whatever that means although no idea how many there will be.
However judging from the developers previous plans for the site the only boutiquey things sold will probably be furry dice hanging from the second hand motors in the still unlawful car lot for a good few years yet ( Nice to see the Croydon enforcement team doing a sterling job on that one ;) ).