• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

Just wondering if there are enough lovers of records of the vinyl type out there to start a weekly/monthly club? I got the idea when I had to abort my plan to have a garden room that would have been for my own/friends entertainment. Finding a suitable venue is the first obvious step and whilst I will be hot footing it to various ones around and in the triangle, has anybody got any suggestions? (calling all venue managers/owners). It would be a non-profit venture so cheap/nothing at all would be great (bearing in mind that venues selling refreshments could profit by it). There has been a recent article on the BBC website that centres mainly around the idea of sitting & listening to an album in its entirety but I would want a more flexible MO where people can share what they think is a great piece of music, be it an album or singular track. Maybe get into some swaps type scenario & suchlike. Musical open-mindedness would be a handy attitude although healthy debate is always welcome. I myself have been described as a musical facist, on occasion, though I like to think I have mellowed with age. So there you have it. Good idea or non-starter?
Likes rock and roll,country and western and hip and hop

#2 CPAndy

CPAndy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

Just wondering if there are enough lovers of records of the vinyl type out there to start a weekly/monthly club? I got the idea when I had to abort my plan to have a garden room that would have been for my own/friends entertainment. Finding a suitable venue is the first obvious step and whilst I will be hot footing it to various ones around and in the triangle, has anybody got any suggestions? (calling all venue managers/owners). It would be a non-profit venture so cheap/nothing at all would be great (bearing in mind that venues selling refreshments could profit by it). There has been a recent article on the BBC website that centres mainly around the idea of sitting & listening to an album in its entirety but I would want a more flexible MO where people can share what they think is a great piece of music, be it an album or singular track. Maybe get into some swaps type scenario & suchlike. Musical open-mindedness would be a handy attitude although healthy debate is always welcome. I myself have been described as a musical facist, on occasion, though I like to think I have mellowed with age. So there you have it. Good idea or non-starter?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Unfortunately i hads my vast collection of vinyl stolen a few years ago and have just a few that I have picked up around as i committed myself to CDs when I bought CDJs to mix with but I love the idea.Mybe try the Black Sheep as they have a room upstairs that is not used all the time.

#3 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. Unfortunately i hads my vast collection of vinyl stolen a few years ago and have just a few that I have picked up around as i committed myself to CDs when I bought CDJs to mix with but I love the idea.Mybe try the Black Sheep as they have a room upstairs that is not used all the time.

Thanks CPAndy. Black Sheep is on the list, just have to plan my escape from children to get to the triangle. Sorry to hear about your loss. I too have now got alot of Cds, primarily for dj use with me mixer. I still retain sizeable portion of my music on vinyl. Maybe an occasion such as this might encourage some to go out and track down some long lost loves. Let me make it clear that you don't have to bring some vinyl to attend, a love & curiosity for music comes first.

#4 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

Great idea! I'm all for it. Will ask around some of my vinyl-friendly friends too. Black Sheep is good for me. Anywhere with a settee and a bar, frankly. :lol:

#5 gruff

gruff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

Thanks CPAndy. Black Sheep is on the list, just have to plan my escape from children to get to the triangle. Sorry to hear about your loss. I too have now got alot of Cds, primarily for dj use with me mixer. I still retain sizeable portion of my music on vinyl. Maybe an occasion such as this might encourage some to go out and track down some long lost loves. Let me make it clear that you don't have to bring some vinyl to attend, a love & curiosity for music comes first.

I like the idea, and was thinking along the same lines after reading about vinyl clubs online. Also agree that playing single tracks, 7'' would be a better way to hear a greater variety of music. I was thinking about The Hope in West Norwood as a venue. Last time I was there work was underway in refurbishing the big shed at the bottom of the garden into a lounge / entertainment space. Could be worth putting on your list.

#6 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

I like the idea, and was thinking along the same lines after reading about vinyl clubs online. Also agree that playing single tracks, 7'' would be a better way to hear a greater variety of music. I was thinking about The Hope in West Norwood as a venue. Last time I was there work was underway in refurbishing the big shed at the bottom of the garden into a lounge / entertainment space. Could be worth putting on your list.

Another good suggestion, Gruff, specially as it's right by rail station and on good bus routes. I must be honest and say that I prefer somewhere round the triangle if only cos it's better for me. Let's see how enthusiast's pan out. Heck, there could be more than one, if they're run on a monthly basis.

#7 spaceshipman

spaceshipman

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

Heya, yea I heard about that 'album club' thing... wasn't it really popular in Amsterdam or somewhere in Germany or something? I think it's a cracking idea, but yea maybe a whole album sitting in silence is quite demanding on the general public.

There used to be a night at the Windmill, brixton where you could just turn up with some vinyl and give it to a DJ and he/she would line it up.. I never went but it was very popular I was told. It does sound like something the Black Sheep could do but not sure if they have decks of their own!? Does anywhere have decks set up??

#8 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

well. I have got decks as it goes.. no mixer in working order right now though...
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#9 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

The night is evolving as the evening goes on. Yes, SSman, I think the 3 records on, 3 records off is a sound principle. Perhaps on a drawing of lots basis, being optimistic about the whole thing. I also have good mixer & amp tho lack good quality pair of decks. I do have access to a very good quality solitary deck. These are things that can be sorted in terms of quality nearer the time. All offers considered. So, looking promising, I'll make initial enquiry with Black Sheep soon as.

#10 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

The night is evolving as the evening goes on. Yes, SSman, I think the 3 records on, 3 records off is a sound principle. Perhaps on a drawing of lots basis, being optimistic about the whole thing. I also have good mixer & amp tho lack good quality pair of decks. I do have access to a very good quality solitary deck. These are things that can be sorted in terms of quality nearer the time. All offers considered. So, looking promising, I'll make initial enquiry with Black Sheep soon as.

Black Sheep used to have a night on called Frock Jocks - all vinyl and option to dress up - hilarious night - check if that's still on.
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#11 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

Black Sheep used to have a night on called Frock Jocks - all vinyl and option to dress up - hilarious night - check if that's still on.

Hehe, not anticipating dressing up for the occasion (you know how insular some of us music lovers can be <_< ) but sounds like a fun night. There could certainly be some thought put into some themed nights, tho.

#12 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

Hehe, not anticipating dressing up for the occasion (you know how insular some of us music lovers can be <_< ) but sounds like a fun night. There could certainly be some thought put into some themed nights, tho.

Damn. No Zappa 'tache then?

#13 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

Wow - what a great idea! Posted Image

I have a pile of old vinyl in one of my cupboards. I like to think it was an eclectic mix, but it is probably just downright bizarre.

#14 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

Damn. No Zappa 'tache then?

Oh, ok then, but only if I can wear my Hoddle one-hit wonder pop wig.

Wow - what a great idea! Posted Image

I have a pile of old vinyl in one of my cupboards. I like to think it was an eclectic mix, but it is probably just downright bizarre.

If it's on Bizarre it's probably by Zappa. Sorry, unashamed muso joke

#15 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

Oh, ok then, but only if I can wear my Hoddle one-hit wonder pop wig.

Let's mullet over.