• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#16 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

What sort of music are we talking here? I mean if its Diamond Lights by Hoddle and Waddle can I bring my MP3 player and headphones?

Seriously tho - would it veer towards dance music, rock, pop, folk, soul, jazz, classical, metal ? all of these - who decides?

#17 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

What sort of music are we talking here? I mean if its Diamond Lights by Hoddle and Waddle can I bring my MP3 player and headphones?

Seriously tho - would it veer towards dance music, rock, pop, folk, soul, jazz, classical, metal ? all of these - who decides?

Good question. Would like to keep within the bounds of good taste, so H&W is right out. A considered approach would be welcomed by all contributors. There is, in my experience, good & valid listening to be had in almost all genres. There might be some limitations as to time etc. Don't suppose it would go down too well if someone chose to bring 3 techno 12" singles with running times of 9mins apiece. Then again that must be blanced against some of the more 'cerebral' artists who are incapable of writing a piece of music less than 10mins long. There are , as yet, no hard & fast guidelines in place so we will engage in a learning curve, no doubt. Maybe even get a sensible 'gong' system in place. Suggestions as to format are welcome.Maybe make the first session music and Q&A to sort these things out. I am nipping up to the BS right now to scope out the possibilities
Likes rock and roll,country and western and hip and hop

#18 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

Right, we're cooking. Have just had a firm offer of the first wednesday of every month from a well-known local pub. Not the Black Sheep as I am going back later in the evening to speak to the appropriate person. I have one more option in mind, as well. I must say, though, that this initial offer looks great, start next week! but I'd just like to check the other options first. Getting down to brass tacks I have an excellent quality 600w PA amp,I have a pair of large good quality speakers and stands but the phono outputs on my mixer are not very good. I have one deck, a Linn Axis, but a pair of well maintained 1200's, or similar, with decent cartridges would be welcomed. Very excited now, and hope to pull in 20 or more attendees for the first night. As soon as I have confirmation of things I will go into more detail, probably in the next 48hrs. Keep those questions & ideas coming.

#19 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

Oh, and it needs a name,.

#20 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

That tech stuff is best left to the experts (ie - not me).

Is there a compere?

What time is kick-off?

Are you going to advertise this off-forum too?

What "form" would the night take?

#21 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:41 PM

That tech stuff is best left to the experts (ie - not me).

Is there a compere?

What time is kick-off?

Are you going to advertise this off-forum too?

What "form" would the night take?

I have done a sweep of the pubs on the triangle & it comes down to two choices, both of whom were very supportive of the idea. I am very much leaning towards the Grape & Grain although the Black Sheep is tempting. I'm going to mull it over tonight. Both have offered the first wednesday of the month.
The tech stuff isn't a problem in so much as I have the required knowledge. I have good amplifier, my mixer is not suited to records, got speakers in abundance, but have only one deck. If I have to invest in what is lacking, so be it. All offers of assistance greatly received.
I have alot of experience in djing and suchlike so I have no qualms about being the compere for the evening, I quite enjoy it.
I thought 7.30 start as it can be flexible in its format.
As I mentioned before the first night would consist of music & a bit of Q&A as to how people would like to see things evolve. My initial idea is bring along 3-5 tracks, either singles or album tracks, first come, first served basis, with a list to keep things orderly. If people are confident with equipment they can play them or there could be someone, like me for instance, who could do the honours for them. I am thinking that there should be some kind of 'gong' purely because if someone's choices are clearly not sitting well with the majority then things should move on. Perhaps a major part of the learning curve involved here. I want this to be as open-minded as possible, every genre has something to offer. I think that, as time goes by, there could be some themed nights, but driven by lateral thinking rather than genre specific. A major part of the ethos is audience interaction. Hopefully people are going to hear stuff that they've never heard before & want to know more about it and by talking to the person that bought it.
With the first night almost certainly being next week word of mouth will be crucial, I have a fb page full of like minded individuals, alot of musical acquaintances & assorted mums & dads interested in a night out from ver kidz. I will knock up some kind of leaflet as well ( when I've got a name for the night).
Finally, I want it to be fun & stimulating. There will be a modicum of competitiveness, I'm sure. Come along have a few drinks and chat with like-minded individuals & expand your musical vistas

Edited by Tambo, 24 February 2011 - 11:44 PM.

#22 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

I have decided to go with The Grape & Grain. So the first night will be next wednesday 2nd March. I've come up with a name, The Records Played Monthly Club, The RPM Club.

I will be creating a Facebook page & could a moderator let me know if I can either change the name of this thread to The RPM Club starting on 2ND March or can I start a new one? Or any other helpful option.

#23 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

I have decided to go with The Grape & Grain. So the first night will be next wednesday 2nd March. I've come up with a name, The Records Played Monthly Club, The RPM Club.

I will be creating a Facebook page & could a moderator let me know if I can either change the name of this thread to The RPM Club starting on 2ND March or can I start a new one? Or any other helpful option.

Done :)

Please let me know if I have got the wording right (topic title)

#24 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

Done :)

Please let me know if I have got the wording right (topic title)

Thanks SL, you're a star

#25 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

well. I have got decks as it goes.. no mixer in working order right now though...

Hello Palacegirl. Would you be prepared to offer your decks as a contingency? I have a couple of irons in the fire, I know of a friend who was offering a pair of 12's, just need to know if he still is. Also I will invest in a new pair but with the night so close I don't know if I could find anyone having them in stock. It seems you have to order them and then they get them in for you.
Cheers Tambo

#26 spaceshipman

spaceshipman

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

Great Work! I wish I could make the first one but I am trying to be a good boy until I finish my degree after Easter, but I can help promote it if you like? If you have posters or flyers, please drop some down to Antenna Studios, we will distribute them to all our clients and through our facebook page and twitter too.

#27 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

Great Work! I wish I could make the first one but I am trying to be a good boy until I finish my degree after Easter, but I can help promote it if you like? If you have posters or flyers, please drop some down to Antenna Studios, we will distribute them to all our clients and through our facebook page and twitter too.

Thanks mate. I knocked up some posters & flyers today but only as many as printer ink would allow, bout 150 flyers & 8 posters. Have left them with suitably chosen positions such as Crow, Domali's etc. Will print up more tomorrow and take up your kind offer, suppose on monday. All looking good

#28 reddman

reddman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:59 AM

Hi ya, I've just picked up on your posts about the RPM club. I think it's a great idea and
would love to come along and bring some tracks. Some of my music is very difficult to
get on vinyl so I have bought CD releases instead! Is this allowed in your vinyl club? Or would it
offend all purists? Nevertheless, I can still dig out a few 12" that I can bring along.

From reading the posts it sounds as if the format of the night is evolving and I think the idea of three
tracks on and a gong is a good way of managing proceedings. So is it ok if I
come along? Are you over subscribed? Would like to come along and participate if that's ok! Look forward to
hearing from you!

#29 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Hi ya, I've just picked up on your posts about the RPM club. I think it's a great idea and
would love to come along and bring some tracks. Some of my music is very difficult to
get on vinyl so I have bought CD releases instead! Is this allowed in your vinyl club? Or would it
offend all purists? Nevertheless, I can still dig out a few 12" that I can bring along.

From reading the posts it sounds as if the format of the night is evolving and I think the idea of three
tracks on and a gong is a good way of managing proceedings. So is it ok if I
come along? Are you over subscribed? Would like to come along and participate if that's ok! Look forward to
hearing from you!

Hello Reddman, Bearing in mind that sometimes the sentiment intended doesn't always translate to the typed word, please take my reply in the light-hearted manner that I intend. Yes it is a vinyl only night, a celebration of that format. I myself have, for various reasons, converted a proportion of my collection to a digital format. Like yourself I have some killer stuff of all genres that I either regret getting rid of, or just plumping for a download. I am working towards rectifying this.
If your tracks are 12" then three would be sufficent, I feel, due to their extended nature. As this is a first night I have no idea how many people will bring stuff to play. I am inclined towards a first come first served format but there might have to be a modicum of vetting. I certainly don't want to get into a run of DJing skills but rather people sharing their love of all types of music so that all who come to listen will find something to enjoy. Indeed I anticipate manning the decks for a portion of the night if only because not everyone will know, or want to get behind the equipment. Very much a community atmosphere will be encouraged. Am thinking of replacing the gong with a red card system, everyone who attends will get a red card and if enough are shown during a persons session then things will move swiftly on. I think it will bring a boistrous but fun element to the evening

#30 spaceshipman

spaceshipman

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

cool! also the vinyl stalls in Haynes Lane Market might not be a bad shout.. Paul (downstairs)& Sharon (upstairs) would definitely tell all their customers too. going to be popular club I think.

Edited by spaceshipman, 27 February 2011 - 11:05 AM.