charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

Check this out - wow and the list goes on

Beer Festival

The next Beer Festival is 4th - 7th March 2011

Over 30 ales and ciders handpicked from the very best micro breweries the UK has to offer.

Watch out for further details

Sat. 5th March 8pm Presentation of the South East London “Pub of the year award”

Don’t miss the only Beer Festival in Crystal Palace

Festival Music

Friday 4th March ”The Sax Pastilles” 9pm

Saturday 5th March The Crystal Palace Community Choir 3pm

Jack Valentine’s ” Tribute to Sinatra” 8.30pm

Sunday 6th March” The Charlotte James Duo” 2pm

The Hugo Simmonds Trio 5pm

Monday 7th March “The Big Beer Band” 9pm

Festival Beers (finalised)

Beers are listed by alchohol content in ascending order.

** Denotes ales on handpump or gravity behind the bar, the rest are on the stillage opposite the bar.

® Denotes reserve beers

Weltons Pride’n'joy 2.8% Don’t be fooled by the low ABV. This ale is packed with flavour and one of Roger Protz’s ” 300 beers to drink before you die”

Saltaire South Island Pale 3.5% Clean pale beer with cool crisp fruitiness from New Zealand hops

Green Jack Excelsior 3.7% Deliciously hoppy with grass, herb and grapefruit notes; bitter on roof of mouth, with lingering bitter finish on a zingy mouthfeel.

Purple Moose Madog’s Ale 3.7% Raisin and raisin bread flavors with a hoppy, herbal aftertaste on the back of the tongue. Sessionable.

Fyne Ales Jarl 3.8% Golden, hoppy and bags of flavour for a 3.8% beer

** Surrey Hills Hammer MIld 3.8% Great malt taste with the darker malts being wonderfully balanced. Has plenty of body but still slips down very easily.

** Triple FFF Pressed Rat & Warthog 3.8% Complex Mild, Ruby in colour with toffee aroma, hints of chocolate and blackcurrant leading to a well-balanced flavour.

® Purity Pure Gold 3.8% Golden and hoppy, a joy to drink, and our house beer !!

Otley Columbo 4% A very pale golden ale. Really hoppy, packed with American Columbus hops, very bitter and thirst quenching with a herbal finish and massive aromas.

® Moorhouses IPA 4% Deep gold, well balanced with a good earthy finish.

Royal Tunbridge Wells Royal Best Bitter 4.1 % This is a chestnut brown classic best bitter. The full-bodied beer is created from a mixture of pale and crystal malts, then bittered with Challenger hops with Goldings, used for aroma.

® Skinners Splendid Tackle 4.2% Light malty golden ale, quite fruity with a touch of apricot, late greenish hop gives a slight contrast.

Country Life Lacey’s Best 4.2% A Bronze/Copper coloured ale, hoppy with a crisp and dry malt finish.

Mauldens Silver Adder 4.2 % A light coloured bitter with five hop & malt combinations giving a refreshing crisp finish

Tonbridge Blonde Ambition 4.2% A crisp clean blonde ale with a refreshing bitterness and a slightly spicy aroma

® RCH Pitchfork 4.3% Yellow, grapefruit flavoured bitter bursting with citrus and underlying sweetness

** Kent Brewery Crystal Clear 4.3% Especially brewed for the festival, a golden hoppy delight, with citrus coming through at the end.

Oakham White Dwarf 4.3% Fruit and hops in the aroma and on the palate, leading to a strong, dry and fairly astringent finish

Rudgate Ruby Mild 4.4% Nutty, rich ruby ale stronger than most milds

Ramsbury Gold 4.5% Rich golden beer with a light hoppy aroma and taste.

** Nelson Dogwatch Stout 4.5% A smooth creamy stout with strong hop taste; leaves a smokey, chocolate aftertaste on the palate.

** Kissingate Old tale Porter 4.5% Dark ale hints of coffee, and toffee in the aroma with a dry finish.

® Cairngorm Sheepshaggers Gold 4.5% a golden amber brew with faint aromas and tastes of grapefruit and passion fruit. Some light bitterness in an otherwise sweet aftertaste.

Ha’penny London Stone Best Bitter 4.5% A strong dark reddish brown colour, nicely malty and well balanced with a combination of East Kent Goldings and Fuggles hops sourced from Kent.

Acorn Bullseye 4.5% Aroma of fruity malts and leafy hops. Well-balanced flavour with some chewy malts, a hint of sweetness and a decent bitter finish.

® Castle Rock Elsie Mo 4.7% A strong golden ale with floral hops evident in the aroma. Citrus hops are mellowed by a slight sweetness.

North Yorks (Organic ) Flying Herbert 4.7% Chocolate, malt, over-ripe fruit and toffee give a pretty sweet beer, with a murmur of bitterness in the finish.

® Mordue Radgie Gadgie 4.8% Strong easy drinking bitter with loads of fruit and hops

Adnams American Style IPA 4.8% The nose is citrus, piney hops coupled with light malts. The taste is sweet, light malt up front with a nice piney, grassy hop kick in the follow through with lingering pine notes.

Milk St. ! Beer 5% A blonde beer with musky hoppiness and citrus fruit on the nose, while more fruit surges on the palate ending in a bitter sweet finish

** Tring Colley’s Dog 5.2% Dark but not over rich, strong but drinkable, this premium ale has a long dry finish with malt and walnut overtones.

® Weltons Old Harry 5.2% Malty, nutty nose with notes of chocolate, dried fruit, prunes and hints of yeast. Malty, nutty taste with a slightly bittersweet finish Very nice beer in lovely balance, leaning in the old ale direction.

** Westerham Audit Ale 6.2% A fruity aroma with berries and wood. Fruity malts in the mouth. A nice old fashioned stronger English ale which is nicely boozy.

Artbrew Spanked Monkey 6.4% A nicely balanced hoppy IPA. VERY floral, caramel and eldeflower. Great for the spring and a very drinkable well balanced beer. A massive chilli - pepper kick back.

** Orkney Skullsplitter 8.5% An intense velvet malt nose with hints of apple, plum and prune. A hoppy finish balanced by satiny smooth malt.

** Hogsback Aroma over Tongham 9% (A over T) A full bodied tawny Barley Wine, malty aroma with hints of vanilla lead to a well balanced taste.

CIDERS

** Westons Old Rosie 7.3% Aroma of green sour apples and lemon. Flavour of rich, sour, green apples, yeast and banana(!). Medium bodied with a dry finish

Westons 1st Quality 5% Smooth, well-balanced fruity flavour with a clean apple finish. Filtered.

** Big Tree Appley ever after 5.1% A medium dry cider brewed entirely from Kentish apples, offering a smooth taste and a fruity kick. Medium Dry Cider

Big Tree Fruity Beauty 5.1% as above but with added raspberry

Big Tree Walking gingerly 5.1% as above but with added fresh ginger

#2 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

Looking forward to it. Was planning on attending friday, saturday and sunday but now have another social to attend on friday (have just become Chairman of a local club (non political, of course!) and have a do then. I don't think bowling in after five pints of Orkney 'Skullsplitter' 8.5% would be a wise move :unsure:
They are also doing a Hogroast on the Saturday, set up outside or in the smoking area.

#3 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

Looking forward to it. Was planning on attending friday, saturday and sunday but now have another social to attend on friday (have just become Chairman of a local club (non political, of course!) and have a do then. I don't think bowling in after five pints of Orkney 'Skullsplitter' 8.5% would be a wise move :unsure:
They are also doing a Hogroast on the Saturday, set up outside or in the smoking area.

I couldn't find another thread for the festival - is it tucked away as a post on another thread. Saturday/Sunday sounds good and a hog roast too on Saturday. Will try and catch up with you.

What's the weather forecast?

Even better:

Saturday 5th March 8pm Presentation of the South East London “Pub of the year award”

Those ciders look good too.

Edited by charlie, 02 March 2011 - 11:08 PM.

#4 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:14 PM

I couldn't find another thread for the festival - is it tucked away as a post on another thread. Saturday/Sunday sounds good and a hog roast too on Saturday. Will try and catch up with you.

What's the weather forecast?

I don't think there is another thread for the beer festival, I started one myself last time. The reviews went in on the Pub thread section though.
No idea on the weather (You could ask Andreas? :P )
Would be good to catch up, will keep an eye out.

#5 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

Looks like there could be a bit of a party!

Do VN members get a discount or is it just CAMRA members? :D

Edited by charlie, 02 March 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#6 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

Looks like there could be a bit of a party!

Do VN members get a discount or is it just CAMRA members? :D

Not too sure, but I'm a member of both so qualify anyway. :D

#7 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:26 AM

No idea on the weather (You could ask Andreas? :P )

Cool and dry with varying amounts of cloud. Ideal weather for liquids warm and wet, with no cloud at all.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#8 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

Ha ha brilliant AWS - prefect drinking weather and for those of you who missed it:

Check out the link to the Beer Festival

The next Beer Festival is 4th - 7th March 2011

Over 30 ales and ciders handpicked from the very best micro breweries the UK has to offer.

Watch out for further details

Sat. 5th March 8pm Presentation of the South East London “Pub of the year award”

Don’t miss the only Beer Festival in Crystal Palace

Festival Music

Friday 4th March ”The Sax Pastilles” 9pm

Saturday 5th March The Crystal Palace Community Choir 3pm

Jack Valentine’s ” Tribute to Sinatra” 8.30pm

Sunday 6th March” The Charlotte James Duo” 2pm

The Hugo Simmonds Trio 5pm

Monday 7th March “The Big Beer Band” 9pm

Festival Beers (finalised)

Beers are listed by alchohol content in ascending order.

** Denotes ales on handpump or gravity behind the bar, the rest are on the stillage opposite the bar.

® Denotes reserve beers

Weltons Pride’n'joy 2.8% Don’t be fooled by the low ABV. This ale is packed with flavour and one of Roger Protz’s ” 300 beers to drink before you die”

Saltaire South Island Pale 3.5% Clean pale beer with cool crisp fruitiness from New Zealand hops

Green Jack Excelsior 3.7% Deliciously hoppy with grass, herb and grapefruit notes; bitter on roof of mouth, with lingering bitter finish on a zingy mouthfeel.

Purple Moose Madog’s Ale 3.7% Raisin and raisin bread flavors with a hoppy, herbal aftertaste on the back of the tongue. Sessionable.

Fyne Ales Jarl 3.8% Golden, hoppy and bags of flavour for a 3.8% beer

** Surrey Hills Hammer MIld 3.8% Great malt taste with the darker malts being wonderfully balanced. Has plenty of body but still slips down very easily.

** Triple FFF Pressed Rat & Warthog 3.8% Complex Mild, Ruby in colour with toffee aroma, hints of chocolate and blackcurrant leading to a well-balanced flavour.

® Purity Pure Gold 3.8% Golden and hoppy, a joy to drink, and our house beer !!

Otley Columbo 4% A very pale golden ale. Really hoppy, packed with American Columbus hops, very bitter and thirst quenching with a herbal finish and massive aromas.

® Moorhouses IPA 4% Deep gold, well balanced with a good earthy finish.

Royal Tunbridge Wells Royal Best Bitter 4.1 % This is a chestnut brown classic best bitter. The full-bodied beer is created from a mixture of pale and crystal malts, then bittered with Challenger hops with Goldings, used for aroma.

® Skinners Splendid Tackle 4.2% Light malty golden ale, quite fruity with a touch of apricot, late greenish hop gives a slight contrast.

Country Life Lacey’s Best 4.2% A Bronze/Copper coloured ale, hoppy with a crisp and dry malt finish.

Mauldens Silver Adder 4.2 % A light coloured bitter with five hop & malt combinations giving a refreshing crisp finish

Tonbridge Blonde Ambition 4.2% A crisp clean blonde ale with a refreshing bitterness and a slightly spicy aroma

® RCH Pitchfork 4.3% Yellow, grapefruit flavoured bitter bursting with citrus and underlying sweetness

** Kent Brewery Crystal Clear 4.3% Especially brewed for the festival, a golden hoppy delight, with citrus coming through at the end.

Oakham White Dwarf 4.3% Fruit and hops in the aroma and on the palate, leading to a strong, dry and fairly astringent finish

Rudgate Ruby Mild 4.4% Nutty, rich ruby ale stronger than most milds

Ramsbury Gold 4.5% Rich golden beer with a light hoppy aroma and taste.

** Nelson Dogwatch Stout 4.5% A smooth creamy stout with strong hop taste; leaves a smokey, chocolate aftertaste on the palate.

** Kissingate Old tale Porter 4.5% Dark ale hints of coffee, and toffee in the aroma with a dry finish.

® Cairngorm Sheepshaggers Gold 4.5% a golden amber brew with faint aromas and tastes of grapefruit and passion fruit. Some light bitterness in an otherwise sweet aftertaste.

Ha’penny London Stone Best Bitter 4.5% A strong dark reddish brown colour, nicely malty and well balanced with a combination of East Kent Goldings and Fuggles hops sourced from Kent.

Acorn Bullseye 4.5% Aroma of fruity malts and leafy hops. Well-balanced flavour with some chewy malts, a hint of sweetness and a decent bitter finish.

® Castle Rock Elsie Mo 4.7% A strong golden ale with floral hops evident in the aroma. Citrus hops are mellowed by a slight sweetness.

North Yorks (Organic ) Flying Herbert 4.7% Chocolate, malt, over-ripe fruit and toffee give a pretty sweet beer, with a murmur of bitterness in the finish.

® Mordue Radgie Gadgie 4.8% Strong easy drinking bitter with loads of fruit and hops

Adnams American Style IPA 4.8% The nose is citrus, piney hops coupled with light malts. The taste is sweet, light malt up front with a nice piney, grassy hop kick in the follow through with lingering pine notes.

Milk St. ! Beer 5% A blonde beer with musky hoppiness and citrus fruit on the nose, while more fruit surges on the palate ending in a bitter sweet finish

** Tring Colley’s Dog 5.2% Dark but not over rich, strong but drinkable, this premium ale has a long dry finish with malt and walnut overtones.

® Weltons Old Harry 5.2% Malty, nutty nose with notes of chocolate, dried fruit, prunes and hints of yeast. Malty, nutty taste with a slightly bittersweet finish Very nice beer in lovely balance, leaning in the old ale direction.

** Westerham Audit Ale 6.2% A fruity aroma with berries and wood. Fruity malts in the mouth. A nice old fashioned stronger English ale which is nicely boozy.

Artbrew Spanked Monkey 6.4% A nicely balanced hoppy IPA. VERY floral, caramel and eldeflower. Great for the spring and a very drinkable well balanced beer. A massive chilli - pepper kick back.

** Orkney Skullsplitter 8.5% An intense velvet malt nose with hints of apple, plum and prune. A hoppy finish balanced by satiny smooth malt.

** Hogsback Aroma over Tongham 9% (A over T) A full bodied tawny Barley Wine, malty aroma with hints of vanilla lead to a well balanced taste.

CIDERS

** Westons Old Rosie 7.3% Aroma of green sour apples and lemon. Flavour of rich, sour, green apples, yeast and banana(!). Medium bodied with a dry finish

Westons 1st Quality 5% Smooth, well-balanced fruity flavour with a clean apple finish. Filtered.

** Big Tree Appley ever after 5.1% A medium dry cider brewed entirely from Kentish apples, offering a smooth taste and a fruity kick. Medium Dry Cider

Big Tree Fruity Beauty 5.1% as above but with added raspberry

Big Tree Walking gingerly 5.1% as above but with added fresh ginger

#9 muji

muji

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

Putting the stadium to one side for the moment, I posted the G&G festival on the Palace real ale thread to get it more coverage http://www.cpfc.org/...=143971&page=56 and a handful of people have come back with suggestions of a few to try (Tomario is a manager at the Rake pub in Borough Market http://bit.ly/ajU6bA so knows his hops).

Also worthy of note in the thread is that Steve Browett of CPFC2010 (wine merchant who in the past has plugged the G&G on the thread) has said that 2010 have taken up a suggestion from fans and there may now be a Beer Festival at Selhurst Park at the end of the season.

As I've never (knowingly) met anyone from VN in the flesh if anyone is going to the G&G at a fixed time let me know and I'll join them for a pint.

#10 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

I *really* want to come along, but with a packed weekend ahead it's going to be tricky... Need a pass from Mrs Elmo.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#11 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

And don't forget, cheap trills from the CP Community Choir at 3pm!
Cheers
NanaZ

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

And don't forget, cheap trills from the CP Community Choir at 3pm!
Cheers
NanaZ

Does that include your good self NanaZ? Posted Image

Putting the stadium to one side for the moment, I posted the G&G festival on the Palace real ale thread to get it more coverage http://www.cpfc.org/...=143971&page=56 and a handful of people have come back with suggestions of a few to try (Tomario is a manager at the Rake pub in Borough Market http://bit.ly/ajU6bA so knows his hops).

Also worthy of note in the thread is that Steve Browett of CPFC2010 (wine merchant who in the past has plugged the G&G on the thread) has said that 2010 have taken up a suggestion from fans and there may now be a Beer Festival at Selhurst Park at the end of the season.

As I've never (knowingly) met anyone from VN in the flesh if anyone is going to the G&G at a fixed time let me know and I'll join them for a pint.

Hi muji,

Thanks for plugging the Fest on the cpfc forums :)

Re G&G Beer Fest attendance - will definitely be there, but not sure when at the mo. Will PM you when I do know. Don't forget that the next VN Social is on the 18th March - again at the G&G - if you want to meet some VNers, newbies are always very welcome.

SL

#13 muji

muji

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hi muji,

Thanks for plugging the Fest on the cpfc forums :)

Re G&G Beer Fest attendance - will definitely be there, but not sure when at the mo. Will PM you when I do know. Don't forget that the next VN Social is on the 18th March - again at the G&G - if you want to meet some VNers, newbies are always very welcome.

SL

Thanks.

18th is 50/50 at the moment as I'll start the day in Wales and don't know when I'll be leaving yet.

#14 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

this should bring a tear to all beerlover's eyes... sniff

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#15 captainmcdan

captainmcdan

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

Excellent. Somewhere to take my dad when he visits this weekend.

I might well make it down on the 18th. I'm a newbie.