• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

I might have to take my chances. If they run out, it may be a case of crossing the road to Palace Kebab for a reconstituted lamb spit roast (a couple of pints of Skull splitter and I think I would eat anything :D )

#32 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

Going this afternoon. Have I missed the Westerham Audit Ale?

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#33 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

The pub was absolutely rammed (not an ale)last night - rumour has it that 25 barrels (72 pints per barrel?) were drained in 25 hours. I think the Westerham is behind the bar so fingers crossed there is still some left.

I tried a pint of the ** Big Tree Appley ever after 5.1% A medium dry cider brewed entirely from Kentish apples, offering a smooth taste and a fruity kick. Medium Dry Cider, which was really rather good - too good. I then moved onto the orgnanic cider. I tried various pints of beer (other peoples) and most notable was the North Yorks (Organic ) Flying Herbert 4.7% Chocolate, malt, over-ripe fruit and toffee give a pretty sweet beer, with a murmur of bitterness in the finish. That was absolutely delicious.

#34 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

Great night last night, and caught up with a fair few VNers, who were making a big dent in the volume of ale on tap. Roaring success (hic).

#35 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

Great time last night folks. Met up with Summit Lover & partner and bumped into Charlie, Andreas, CitM and Hermit. It was lovely to meet Muji for the first time too - hope you'll come along to the VN social in a couple of weeks.

Tried the Flying Herbert that Charlie reviewed higher up the thread. Also had the Westons (think that's what it was called) 2.8% as that was all that was left later on from the rack of kegs and I couldn't face the queue for the bar - it was actually pretty nice though. Then had something from behind the bar but no idea what it was - Rick recommended it. Was very good and it had a head like a good northern pint :D. Tried a couple of others from other people's glasses too!

If you are heading up today, there's probably very little left 'cause we got there first :P.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#36 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

....If you are heading up today, there's probably very little left 'cause we got there first :P.

I blame Elmo - he was clearly drinking the place dry on Friday! Posted Image

#37 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

I also had a great time last night. The rate that they sold out of the keg beer shows how much of a success it was for them. 20 kegs with 72 pints in each and they were all gone by 9pm, so they sold 1440 pints in 32 hours and that is excluding the hand pump ales!!! They ordered twice as much as the last festival and sold out a day earlier.
Will probably venture in again this evening.
Also was really nice to see so many VN'ers there.

Edited by Hermit, 06 March 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#38 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

I blame Elmo - he was clearly drinking the place dry on Friday! Posted Image

I thought I'd better leave a few pints for you lot! Adnam's IPA was good. As was Westerham's Audit Ale - dark and old as the name suggests.

Edited by Elmo, 06 March 2011 - 01:54 PM.

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#39 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

I also had a great time last night. The rate that they sold out of the keg beer shows how much of a success it was for them. 20 kegs with 72 pints in each and they were all gone by 9pm, so they sold 1440 pints in 32 hours and that is excluding the hand pump ales!!! They ordered twice as much as the last festival and sold out a day earlier.
Will probably venture in again this evening.
Also was really nice to see so many VN'ers there.

Well I was told that it was 25 Kegs which were gone by 8pm which in my book makes that 1800 pints sold over 21 hours assuming that the festival started at noon on Friday and the pub closes at 1pm on a Friday, opened at noon on the Saturday and we arrived at 8pm.

So that is atleast 1 pint poured and paid for every minute on the assumption that purchasing is distributed equally over the 21 hours.

Edited by charlie, 06 March 2011 - 01:57 PM.

#40 muji

muji

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

Great time last night folks. Met up with Summit Lover & partner and bumped into Charlie, Andreas, CitM and Hermit. It was lovely to meet Muji for the first time too - hope you'll come along to the VN social in a couple of weeks.

I enjoyed myself as well, and it was good to meet the real people behind the nicknames. The beer was good as well!

Can't guarantee the 18th yet, but if I can leave Wales early enough I'll definitely be there.

#41 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:10 PM

Well I was told that it was 25 Kegs which were gone by 8pm which in my book makes that 1800 pints sold over 21 hours assuming that the festival started at noon on Friday and the pub closes at 1pm on a Friday, opened at noon on the Saturday and we arrived at 8pm.

So that is atleast 1 pint poured and paid for every minute on the assumption that purchasing is distributed equally over the 21 hours.

Ah, yes. I forgot to take into account the hours that the pub was closed :unsure:
All the better if it was 25 barrels than 22.
Was nice to see you last night anyway.

#42 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

Ah, yes. I forgot to take into account the hours that the pub was closed :unsure:
All the better if it was 25 barrels than 22.
Was nice to see you last night anyway.

Hey you too Chair!

I enjoyed myself as well, and it was good to meet the real people behind the nicknames. The beer was good as well!

Can't guarantee the 18th yet, but if I can leave Wales early enough I'll definitely be there.

Wales??? are you off for a rendez with EiW Muji. Good to see you too - although I think there was a bit of mischief making with our VN monikers. ;-)

Glad you enjoyed the beer, and hope you have a good trip to Wales - one of my favourite countries.

#43 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

I'll probably stroll up for the Community Choir, and be sporting a white enamel badge saying 'glaziers' to make me an easy target for abuse :D

Feel free to say 'hello'!

Didn't see you muji but hope you enjoyed y'self - we did! Well done CPCC and thank you to our supporters. Also, many thanks to lovely Rick who stood us all a pint afterwards. Splendid Tackle was my downfall.

And muji if you or anyone else would like to join us, you'd be very welcome. We particularly need to boost our man count! Contact us here.

#44 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:03 PM

Went last night and ALL barrels were EMPTY :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
NOT FAIR! as my daughter would be say.

#45 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

Unfortunately I was a bit poorly this weekend and wasn't able to attend. Judging from the comments here, I missed a belter :( When's the next one!?