• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ncatteau

ncatteau

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:20 PM

I read recently that the Victoria Line was intended to go as far as Croydon when it was designed.

Does anyone know if this was true ? and if so why did it not happen ?

#2 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:24 PM

I work for London Underground, and I know a good few "anoraks" (who would probably use the same term to describe themselves)! I will certainly make enquiries for you! :D

I found this web-page that mentions an extension to CP that was planned, but nothing about Croydon

http://www.davros.or...g/victoria.html

I have since found out from a colleague that yes, it was designed to go on to Croydon. The sidings at Brixton were all aligned and ready to go, under Brixton Hill and through Streatham, as and when funds became available. Apparently this won't now go ahead as the line is at full capacity, both trains and passengers wise. There are plans however to extend it to Herne Hill in a kind of one-way loop system, a bit like they have on the Piccadilly Line at Heathrow. This will increase the overall capacity of the line, as trains can be queued up in the loop (there is a loop at Kennington that can hold up to three trains at once).

Hope that helps a bit with your query, if I find out anything else, I will post it. :D

#3 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:49 PM

For facts and trivia about the underground, you could try this site:

Going Underground

Check out the forum and the links page.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#4 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:17 PM

Oh that site is hilarious, it's given me a few ideas for funny things to say over the PA in my train! :D

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:22 PM

A few year's ago, I used to catch the Piccadilly Line from Leicester Square in a morning. The guy there was always really chirpy and would say, "Morning Ladies and Gentlemen, rise and shine, this is Leicester Square...". Sometimes he would chat down the tannoy while we were sitting waiting for the tube to leave.

Made the commute much more bearable :) .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:29 PM

I really like the guy who's on the northbound Victoria Line platform at Victoria in the morning - around 9am. He's just a really friendly, helpful guy who actually keeps customers up to date with what's happening on the underground!

Rachel I must look out for you on the tube - are you Victoria line or am I imagining that? If you see a strange lady doing a bizarre dance that is supposed to represent the Virtual Norwood Forum on the platform then it's me! :D

#7 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:54 PM

The guy at Victoria is called Tim Pinn, he has been there for years! He gets lots of compliments! I worked at Victoria as a station assistant for almost a year, March 03-04, then moved over to the trains. I drive Northern Line trains, and am based at Morden Depot.

My husband gets the train from Victoria to Oxford Circus every day. If you click on my name (above the gambolling lambs!), you will see a picture of us and you can look out for him! Like you're gonna see him!! :D

#8 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:39 AM

Right, this is what I have found out from an assortment of Line Controllers, drivers, and a couple of managers.

"various different routes based around the core Seven Sisters to Victoria stretch were initially considered, many of which went to or through Croydon. (Fulham Broadway/Wimbledon and Edmonton also featured in some of the plans). Money was tight, and eventually they pared it down to the section that would have the greatest impact - Wood Street (Walthamstow) to Victoria. Subsequently, the Walthamstow - Wood Street section was cancelled, while Victoria to Brixton was added. The various options to Croydon were never pursued - partly due to a general lack of funds; partly because the costs seemed to outweigh the expected benefits."

"The line now carries three times as many passengers as it was designed to. I understand that the existing line is now so busy that they cannot consider extending it to Croydon - the extra passengers generated by such an extension would completely overload the central section of the line."

"More recently, there was a serious proposal to extend the line from Brixton to Herne Hill (to give interchange with Thameslink). The existing overrun tunnels & sidings already extend half-way there, and the idea was to project these into a Kennington-style reversing loop to increase line capacity and reliability. As this loop would have passed under Herne Hill anyway, a useful interchange station could be added there. Nothing has been heard of this suggestion for some years"

Hope this helps the person who was interested.

Rachel x :D

#9 ncatteau

ncatteau

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:43 AM

Thanks Rachel, for your replies
Neil

#10 Guest_Hujo_*

Guest_Hujo_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:46 AM

Rachel, sorry to divert the topic slightly, but can I ask you a question about being a tube driver?
My husband has got his tube operator assessment coming up next week and he is unsure what to expect. He's been working for TfL for a while and is really keen to become a driver, but he keeps asking me things like 'Do you think I should wear a suit to the assessment?' 'Will they test my reaction speed'? and I haven't got a clue how to advise him!!!

All info gratefully received (and crossed fingers too for next week!)

#11 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 10:28 AM

Hujo I will send you a private message with my email address in, and if he wants to email me, I will gladly help him. :D

#12 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 08:54 AM

My mum told me many years ago (60s sometime ) that the original plans for the Victoria Line were to extend it to Croydon (via Herne Hill & Crystal Palace), but that it proved impossible as there were too many underwater streams in the area for construction to take place. Any "experts" think that could be right?
Does anyone know why the original Crystal Palace Station on the Parade was shut down in the 50s - it was a lot easier to get to for folks living in Upper Norwood than walking down to Gipsy Hill.

#13 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:35 AM

....back to the nice tube drivers - there is a black guy on the East London Line who switches on the PA - with some soothing classical music in the background : Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen- this is the East London Line, please do not put your feet on the seats in front of you, enjoy the ride and have a great day !

He is so lovely - will tell him next time he is on the train - he really makes me smile in the morning - and that's a task and a half.... ;)
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....