356 replies to this topic

#346 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Message from UNLC:

Dear library supporters, one of our local councillors has asked for our support to help the Croydon libraries. This is a message from him.

"Following the statement made by the Cabinet Member Cllr Tim Pollard at the last Council Meeting; that John Laing had withdrawn as the likely contenders to take over all the Libraries in Croydon, and that the Croydon Council would be re-tendering.

The Labour Group has taken the necessary action so as the Council will have an Extraordinary meeting, on Monday March 18 at the Town Hall 6.30pm, so as we can have a proper discussion on their plans to Privatise all the Libraries in Croydon.

The Requisition states ---

" We herby call an Emergency Council Meeting to discuss the following Motion: This Council regrets the incompetence of Councillor Fisher's administration over the privatisation of Libraries to John Laing. It is vital that Croydon Council must be efficient in delivery of front line services. We agree to match the savings proposed in the John Laing deal by forming a cross party working group to deliver a Co-operative model based on devolved budgets and responsibilities: staff being employed directly through the Council; removal of senior management layers; and ending the practice of expensive outsourced contracts for IT and facilities management" 

Hope we can have the usual superb support from Upper Norwood. Thanks

Regards

Cllr Pat Ryan
Labour Councillor for Upper Norwood Ward

#347 Bryher

Bryher

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Upper Norwood Library Trust Needs You.

Trustees are wanted for an exciting new social enterprise in Upper Norwood due to take over the running of the Upper Norwood Library.

The Upper Norwood Library Trust (UNLT) is a newly formed organisation formed by local residents with the objective of taking over the governance and management of the Upper Norwood Joint Library (UNJL) as a library and community hub.

We keen to ensure we properly reflect the local community, so we are looking for people with a range of skills and experience, particularly people who have experience/skills in one of the following, libraries, community engagement, education, accountancy, HR, legal, fundraising, business, business development, and or marketing. But just as importantly, we are looking for people who are passionate about our library, and feel they can understand the needs of the library members.

While this is a serious endeavor, the trust aims to be a friendly group who are willing to put in time and effort to make our library a widely recognised model for the future.

We would love to hear from you if you are interested and will supply you with more information to explain, in more detail, what is involved.  Email Bryher@me.com

#348 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hope this isn't regarded as outrageous but I wondered if the Library Trust would consider/explore the possibility of relocating the library to the proposed new Crystal Palace in the park.  I think it would offer significant opportunities for income generation (eg cafe, activity/meeting space, exhibition/educational space, shop etc) and could provide a modern library facility with good IT provision - potentially with 6/7 day opening.  I have a high regard for all the efforts that have been made to keep the current library open.  However it may be worthwhile looking at potential opportunities offered by the new Crystal Palace proposal given the emphasis they seem to placing on community activities in the new building. Due to the location it could be an initiative involving 5 boroughs.

#349 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:29 PM

Approaching the anniversary of my post on this topic (without any response) I thought it worthwhile to mark the occasion by bumping this.

Recent news suggests that cuts to the budgets of Lambeth and Croydon Council budgets will mean an even greater reliance on volunteers from the community.  The very limited opening hours mean that the building is seriously underutilised.  Does the Upper Norwood Library Trust really believe that this is a viable option for a sustainable option for a vibrant modern library going forward?   Is it not time to think laterally about other options involving Bromley and Crystal Palace Park?  It is interesting to see that Crystal Primary School are certainly seizing an opportunity here.

I appreciate that there is a strong emotional attachment to the current building in the Triangle.  But is it really suitable for accommodating a modern 21st Century Library?

#350 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

I agree Zirky - here's my post from CPLife 3 weeks back

I think its in need of a revamp - currently it looks like yesterday's papers (which you will be lucky to find upstairs!) - I don't see much interest on here about it, nor many people using it - the ref section upstairs is often deserted, the computers haven't worked for donkeys, waters coming in from the windows into buckets, half the lights are turned off, its cold in the winter when people sit in there in their hats coats and scarfs - looks like something from a gothic horror movie

#351 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:51 PM

Disagree somewhat, ChewderOde. Was in there Saturday morning, several kids groups going on over the course of the morning, the downstairs was packed. Given time, the upstairs area will find its proper new role.

I think it's vitally important in the Information Age for a physical library serving the local community to be as close as possible to where people are, integrated in to their daily lives, which for the time being pretty much means on the High Street. It needs to be something people can drop in on after Sainsburys or before the pub.

If the ZRC does get built, I'm not sure that will be somewhere most locals go daily or even weekly. It's aimed at attracting people from much further afield (to do what, we still don't know), and for most it's not on the way to or from anywhere.

Why would Bromley want a library in the park? They've just put a ton of money in to the new one in Penge, and cite that as a reason for not funding UNJL. The only Bromley-ites better served by one in the park would be those on Cintra Park and surrounding roads.

#352 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:40 PM

Well I have posted before that there seems to be  a good buzz around  the children's section sometimes but in the main I agree with Zirconium's view that the place isn't that geared in its physicality for a modern day library and will need a lot doing to it, requiring a lot of money; to make it fit for purpose  - but the UNJL trust seems to have some impetus in getting things moving - and was pleased to see the other day that the front door has finally, for what must have been over a year, been fixed, so people with buggies etc  don't have to struggle with the bicep busting / perpendicularly elbow garotting entry procedure.

I hope it remains a community facility but I think the frequent eulogising about how great it is by some needs reining in a bit.

#353 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

Fairplay to the UNJL Trust - they seem to be getting things moving - new computers up and working with 2 hour max use per person + heaters were on and it actually felt warm in there!

Place still looks like a tip but one that's moving towards potentially something positive

#354 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:21 PM

2 months later all the old computers are still piled up in the corner  -   would only take one person 15 mins to get them down in the basement - looks half baked and amateurish - you can have all the strategic plans, missions and visions, sustainability , overarches and underpins, + user led stakeholder inspired hubs anchored in the community and all that 3rd sector tosh-speak but reckon a bit of common sense goes much further

#355 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

Perhaps they are waiting for someone to come and take them away to be reused or recycled elsewhere ChewderOde? If you are that concerned why don't you offer to help move them or at least ask why they are piled up in the corner instead of mocking the library on a local forum.

Things might not be perfect but hats off to the Interim Trust for keeping the library going.  It is very easy to criticise. The Library plays an important role in the community and I am glad it is still there - things can only get better but it takes times. Don't forget the Interim Trust are all volunteers with full time jobs and families too. They need our support.  :)

#356 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

Well  if you see my previous posts they do acknowledge the work of the interim trust, so its not a one way tirade of negative spiele!, but I do find it annoying when simple little things like that spoil  the effort of getting the new computers in and up and working. I think its down to the members of staff to sort this out, not me walking off of the street; I do enough volunteering elsewhere. I would have thought with a "front office" annual budget of £315k pa there should be scope in-house to sort it without needing to rely on oiks like me!

#357 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:56 PM

"NEWSFLASH" - Library now open addtionally on Monday afternoons - 1:00pm - 5:00pm!