• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

Inspired by this thread, a friend and I decided to try zumba at my gym, Beckenham Spa, last night - but when we arrived for the 8pm class, as advertised on the website, we discovered it had actually started at 7.30pm. So we went home and drank gin and ate chocolates instead :lol:

That sounds almost as much fun as actually doing the class! Come to the one at Royston Club next Thursday (yes, at 7.30) - participants have been known to arrive with drinks in hand (there's a bar in the next room).

And filmbuffy, it's an exercise class in the form of dance moves to great music - mainly Latin, but also other styles from around the world. The key thing is that it's a laugh, but it also gives you a good workout.

#17 doowron

doowron

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:48 AM

Going by the attendance at the Phoenix Community Centre last thursday it would appear that Zumba has become the hottest thing since sliced bread! The main hall was heaving - there is going to be a whole lot of very fit people on the beaches this summer - perhaps holiday resorts will start a beach Zumba -now there's a thought.

#18 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

That sounds almost as much fun as actually doing the class! Come to the one at Royston Club next Thursday (yes, at 7.30) - participants have been known to arrive with drinks in hand (there's a bar in the next room).

And filmbuffy, it's an exercise class in the form of dance moves to great music - mainly Latin, but also other styles from around the world. The key thing is that it's a laugh, but it also gives you a good workout.

Would it be OK to come along and have a watch? I've got the Wii Zumba game but every time I try to do it my other half is around and just laughs! I'm very unfit so would like to see how advanced it is first if that's OK?

#19 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:54 PM

Nooo, I had to work late :(

Liz29
Would it be OK to come along and have a watch?

doowron
Going by the attendance at the Phoenix Community Centre last thursday it would appear that Zumba has become the hottest thing since sliced bread!

Sounds like we could have a VN corner at the Phoenix Centre! But not trying to tread on your toes tho NickJ (I'll leave that for the class :lol:)

Whichever class you attend I'm sure you'll find a welcome Liz29. In fact there's another one in Crystal Palace, every Monday morning. It restarts tomorrow after Easter (9th May) at 10am at Training Points, 85 Church Road SE19 2TA. It's a smaller class than the Phoenix one, but Maria who runs it explains the moves a bit more. I go to both if I can. They both cost 5.

#20 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

Thanks Nanazola! I did think of attending the Phoenix Centre class but it sounds really busy and I didn't know if there was a limit for attending. Plus my mum wants to come with me now :rolleyes: and she lives in Sydenham so Penge seems to be a meet in the middle kind of deal :)

It's a shame I can't attend the Training Points one but I'm at work everyday in Victoria and I don't think work would appreciate me strolling in at midday saying I'd been busy at Zumba :P

#21 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

You'll both love it! I'm trying to get my daughter to come along, but when she peeked in at a class she said it looked like 'a load of women going bananas', a fair description, but one with limited appeal to the teenage mind, apparently.

#22 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

Would it be OK to come along and have a watch? I've got the Wii Zumba game but every time I try to do it my other half is around and just laughs! I'm very unfit so would like to see how advanced it is first if that's OK?

I'm sure Zoe, the teacher, wouldn't mind - but you really don't have to worry. My wife has a painful arthritic hip, and she still enjoys it. The first week, I made sure I was well back in the class, but now I'm not bothered and have decided I'd rather be nearer the front so I can see better what it is we're supposed to be doing!

Honestly, don't worry about being unfit - you'll be in good company. You'll almost certainly get a bit fitter, and you'll definitely come out with a smile on your face (quote from participant in last week's class: "I don't do anything like this with my husband, let alone in a dance class...").

#23 mpfg

mpfg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

You can also do Zumba on Wednesday evening or Saturday lunchtime in Upper Norwood
Check out Crla Lima's website for times and costs

http://www.zumbawith...s-Schedule.html

#24 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

I'm sure Zoe, the teacher, wouldn't mind - but you really don't have to worry. My wife has a painful arthritic hip, and she still enjoys it. The first week, I made sure I was well back in the class, but now I'm not bothered and have decided I'd rather be nearer the front so I can see better what it is we're supposed to be doing!

Honestly, don't worry about being unfit - you'll be in good company. You'll almost certainly get a bit fitter, and you'll definitely come out with a smile on your face (quote from participant in last week's class: "I don't do anything like this with my husband, let alone in a dance class...").

Right that's it, you've persuaded me! We'll be there at 7.30 pm on Thursday ready to dance :P

#25 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

Right that's it, you've persuaded me! We'll be there at 7.30 pm on Thursday ready to dance :P

See you there (you should recognise me, as I'll almost certainly be the only bloke there again)!

#26 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:38 AM

See you there (you should recognise me, as I'll almost certainly be the only bloke there again)!

I believe I saw you last night Nick but didn't like to say anything in case it wasn't you! I was the newbie dressed all in black with my mum in the white top near the front.

I had an excellent time and will definitely be coming back next week, I feel so good and full of energy today so many thanks for recommending :D

#27 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

I believe I saw you last night Nick but didn't like to say anything in case it wasn't you! I was the newbie dressed all in black with my mum in the white top near the front.

So you were right next to me! You've got me doubting my sexuality now - the only bloke in the class and you weren't sure if you recognised me...?

#28 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

Ha :P

You never know, you might have decided not to come that night and then another man could have randomly turned up and I might have assumed it was you!!!

Will definitely say hello next time :ph34r:

#29 RachelH

RachelH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

Just to say that I went to Carla Lima's class at St Margaret Clitherow church hall this evening, and really enjoyed it! I'd never done Zumba before, and have never enjoyed 'Keep Fit' classes, but had a really good time, and a good workout! If anyone else lives a bit further down the hill like I do, I'd recommend going along! It's 7pm-8pm on Wednesday evenings.

#30 ingridd

ingridd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

There's a really good zumba class at Norwood School, Crown Lane on thursday evenings - 8pm-9pm. It's not very full at the moment, but great fun and very mixed ability (so not all young gym bunnies!) :) £6 drop in.