• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 french 47

french 47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

Can anyone give me information about Londex Ltd of ANERLEY WORKS, 207 ANERLEY ROAD I am interest in the company before the last war.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

#2 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

http://www.simoncorn...ive/pl86-20.htm

#3 french 47

french 47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for your help Joe, What I am looking for is the pre war history and perhaps a photo of the factory.
Thank you once again.
Cheers French 47

#4 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

Drop this guy a line he maybe able to help

http://www.simoncorn...ntact/index.htm

Edited by Joe, 12 May 2011 - 09:10 PM.

#5 domgrin

domgrin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Can anyone give me information about Londex Ltd of ANERLEY WORKS, 207 ANERLEY ROAD I am interest in the company before the last war.
Thanks
Bill

#6 Arcon

Arcon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

I also have an interest in the Londex Anerley works and would be glad to discuss the subject with you. I knew the owners and visited the works in the 1950s. A brief chat would be welcome..... any possibility? Anthony

#7 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Thanks
Bill

From this link http://www.niblock.co.uk/contactus.php

Anerley Works
135 Anerley Road
London
SE20 8AJ

#8 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

Too late a date for Bill (so I didn't respond back in May), but maybe of interest to Anthony:

My newspaper database has a record of a serious fire at Londex, 207 Anerley Road, which gutted the top floor office on Tuesday 29th January 1957. Found by caretaker Len Marshall. Leading Fireman Ben Flay of Chesham Crescent was taken to hospital due to smoke inhalation. There was another small fire on the following day. There is a photograph of firemen damping down.

Copy of article (Beckenham Journal 2-Feb-1957 p1d) on request.

The article doesn't give the cause of the fire other than to say "police are investigating". I don't see any follow-up article in the next few issues, and my far-from-complete database doesn't have anything else. Maybe this posting will trigger someone's memory of the event.

#9 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

From this link http://www.niblock.co.uk/contactus.php

Anerley Works
135 Anerley Road
London
SE20 8AJ

I was refering to the fact that they show as Anerly Works at No. 135

#10 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:55 AM

Just found in the Beckenham Journal, 25-Dec-1964 p7c:

Three Londex men get 25-year awards

Three men who had each completed 25 years with Londex, Ltd, the Anerley firm of electrical remote control engineers were presented with long-service awards at a ceremony at the firm's Anerley Road headquarters on Friday,

The three men are Mr W H Smith, manager of Ridgemount Avenue, Shirley, Mr F R Brown, timer department chargehand of Kent Road, West Wickham, and Mr P A Bowman, marine department chargehand of Melvin Road, Penge.

The awards, certificates and vouchers to be exchanged for £25 worth of premium bonds or savings certificates, were made by Mr A Ney and Dr W L Stern, joint managing directors, who formed the company in 1936.

When the three men joined Londex in 1939, they had only about a dozen colleagues. Today, more than 400 people are employed.

FORMER DAYS

Mr Smith recalled for the Journal that in those days he often designed a component, and then had to make, assemble and wire it, and even do his own testing.

At that time, the works consisted of two rooms at the back of a laundry in Sydenham. But some of the government contracts soon received were so large that proper premises had quickly to be found.

Now, with three establishments in the area a substantial proportion of the firm's output is exported to more than 60 countries.

Mr Brown and Mr Bowman remember the days when Mr Ney spent his time knocking on industry's doors selling the firm's products and when Dr Stern worked on the bench developing new components or solving problems put to him by customers.

Accompanying photograph of the presentation and people named above.

#11 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:41 AM

For a photo go here http://www.beckenham...s/gallery3.html then go to Penge 3 then photo 30. Let me know if you want the photo.

#12 ExLondex

ExLondex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

Hi, I found this site today and although I'm not able to answer the OP's question I thought I would make a contribution.
I did my apprenticeship at Londex, and worked there from 1972 to around 1979.
My father is mentioned in the newspaper article above, Frank Brown. I also knew Bill Smith, and Pete Bowman was a very good friend of my Dad's.
Bill and my father both worked for Baird television before joining Londex, and my Dad used to tell me about Bill testing CRT's ready for assembly. They were very fragile back then and would frequently implode, sometimes setting off a chain reaction on the conveyor, and leaving Bill covered in broken glass and other debris. Pete Bowman was lovely bloke, very funny and good to work with.
By the time I worked there Dr. Stern had relinquished control of the company to his son, Henry, and I never met Mr. Ney.
Bill, Frank, and Pete were all very capable engineers and could design and manufacture electro-mechanical devices such as timers, pressure switches, relays, warning beacons, and so on all from scratch. But as the article says that was how it was done back then. In fact the range of bespoke equipment made by Londex beggars belief of such a small firm. There was even a small glass blowing department for the marine beacons.
Some of the people I worked with, and who taught me much of what I now know, were true craftsmen, and Londex produced some fantastic instruments long before silicon chips were even a glint in someone's eye.
I was there when the main factory was moved from the Howard Road site up to Oakfield Road, and spent a lot of time between the Anerley Road head office, where the R & D department was sited, and the main factory.

I'm sorry if I have rambled a bit, but I hope this is of some interest.
Steve.