Does bigbadwolf post on here?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

I would say a lot of the fun posters dont visit VN anymore due to boorishness of some wannabe lobbyists we have on here nowdays

However some of the posters who are a bit more unpredicatable & not afraid to speak their mind have turned out to be some really good friends who now get invited to Dazza's residence for various soirees I hold during the year ! You know who you are !

A privilege you must earn & not be able to lobby for votes i am afraid !

Dazza

PS Top tip A bottle of good port or good brandy helps as well ! 1 of each is even better !

There is some truth in what you say, and something we need to try and guard against - indeed the forum guidelines dissuade members from such behaviour. I joined VN to get to know more people in the area, and indeed I have :) especially at the VN Socials.

Ithink that it is inevitable that some members are drawn to post mainly on local issues that they are passionate about, but we should aim for some balance.

I would like to attract new members to the site and was thinking about flyers in local pubs/restaurants etc. Anyone got any other ideas?

#32 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

Have been giving it serious thoughts, My idea is that anyone who posts using more than a 1000 words on a post should be barred for life ! No point in writing them if only a handful of people ever read them i know i dont as i have the attn span of a gnatt or time to read it all ! I cant be the only one !

OK perhaps banning them is a bit radical perhaps a list of shame or the offending user to have a warning sign to highlight other posters that you are dealing with someone who uses long words & gigantic posts to beat you into submission !

Dazza

PS Cats amongst the pigeons I think !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#33 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

There is some truth in what you say, and something we need to try and guard against - indeed the forum guidelines dissuade members from such behaviour. I joined VN to get to know more people in the area, and indeed I have :) especially at the VN Socials.

Ithink that it is inevitable that some members are drawn to post mainly on local issues that they are passionate about, but we should aim for some balance.

I would like to attract new members to the site and was thinking about flyers in local pubs/restaurants etc. Anyone got any other ideas?

SL

I think that's a good idea. I've never seen any advertising for the site around the pubs/restaurants shops etc since I've lived here. I only found out about the place from the missus who'd stumbled upon it somehow.

I think I mentioned advertising to JamesVN at a social once. From memory I think he did flyers but that was before my tenure here. I could be wrong though.

#34 Michael Charles

Michael Charles

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

I think that given the age of this forum it has probably reached its peek in terms of numbers, it's a well established site and covers a wide area. I think one of the issues for a place such as VN is the competition from social networking sites such as facebook.
The editor function does not work in my account?

#35 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

I think that given the age of this forum it has probably reached its peek in terms of numbers, it's a well established site and covers a wide area. I think one of the issues for a place such as VN is the competition from social networking sites such as facebook.

The trouble with VN is that you only normally stumble across it by accident on the internet. I was in the CP area for years before we discovered it in just that way - and I wish I could have found it when I first moved here.

It won't bring in legions of new members, but it will hopefully bring in some - and also assist those new to the area.

#36 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

I do think that is a good idea.I'm amazed sometimes by how many people I have met in the area who haven't heard of VN, some of them have been around for a while and there are always new people arriving.
I think the notice boards like the G+G, White Hart, Blackbird Bakery, Bookseller Crow etc. would be a good start. Also perhaps The Transmitter magazine, they maybe able to help?

There is definately some truth in that. I know the admin from another local forum and he says that his traffic is down about 10 per cent since the arrival of twitter and chavbook.
Although totaly different things, there is only so much time one will spend on the computer each day.
Still, I keep hearing that 100000 Brits are deactivating their facebook accounts each month so hopefully things should change.
We should focus our attention on getting new people in, I've already put a VN link on our local sporting club site (which has had 15000 hits in three years)

#37 Trixta

Trixta

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

is rick channing on stf actually bbw?

#38 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:42 PM

I would have thought so. Somehow the events of the London riots would have been too much for him to take without expressing his views :D
Would have to check on EDF first to see what he said, only lasted three days before being hoofed out.

#39 Trixta

Trixta

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

lol i thouht so :lol: everythng he writes is always a windup but looks serous. do you think hes eagle to?

#40 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

No, I don't think he's eagle, although eagle is great too (did you see when bbw took off eagle in 'A day in the life of Brian'?)

#41 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

is rick channing on stf actually bbw?

Not sure I agree. 'Rick Channing's views make wolfy look like a liberal lefty - plus he seems remarkably lacking in humour.

#42 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

Not sure I agree. 'Rick Channing's views make wolfy look like a liberal lefty - plus he seems remarkably lacking in humour.

It was you that blew the whistle on him :blink:

#43 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

It was you that blew the whistle on him :blink:

On who?

Ah - see what you mean. I was just pulling his chain about his uber right wing views. I don't actually think that they are one and the same :)

Edited by Summit Lover, 25 August 2011 - 08:27 PM.

#44 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

You asked Rick Channing if he had wolf fur under his baseball cap or something similar.

#45 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

Yeah I know - I was just trying to confuddle him. I lean towards the right, but RC is so far right he has disappeared off the horizon!