1 reply to this topic

#1 clairew

clairew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

Hello,

Out of curiosity, finding I am finding out about the history of West Norwood and there is the mention of a Clock House No.5 Chestnut Road with a museum. Is this open to the public any time other than the yearly open house and what is it's history? Is there a history of clock-makers in the area?

Secondly, what are the recreational tea garden that were around Knight's Hill, Beulah Hill and the S.Metro. Cemetery?

Finally is there still ancient woodland in WN I think Peabody Hill is but I wondered is Knight's Hill wood seperate if so where is this?

Thanks a million to anyone who could help me out!

Claire

#2 Halszka

Halszka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hello,

Out of curiosity, finding I am finding out about the history of West Norwood and there is the mention of a Clock House No.5 Chestnut Road with a museum. Is this open to the public any time other than the yearly open house and what is it's history? Is there a history of clock-makers in the area?

Secondly, what are the recreational tea garden that were around Knight's Hill, Beulah Hill and the S.Metro. Cemetery?

Finally is there still ancient woodland in WN I think Peabody Hill is but I wondered is Knight's Hill wood seperate if so where is this?

Thanks a million to anyone who could help me out!

Claire

I believe that it would have stretched from Peabody Hill right up to Crystal Palace. If you follow the train lines from Tulse Hill towards West Dulwich Station [this was once Lower Knights Hill Station] up to Sydenham hill, it is still very woody either side of the tracks all the way to Crystal Palace along College Road & Fountain Drive. Once upon a time I would thing that it would have formed the Great North Wood, parts of which still survive, ie behind Fedlis convent, Knights Hill near Crown Point, Off Church Road in several places.