34 replies to this topic

#1 TopCat

TopCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:16 PM

Hi

I have a new auction concept that has been received by the banks extremely enthusiastically, the word they mention is massive!

I need an extremely competent script writer ready to work on prototype, initially for free, on the basis of the website imminentlty being able to offer part time to full time employment for the right person.

Anyone interested will need to sign confidentiality papers as this concept is completely new and innovative.

This really is a great chance to belong to a project with huge, exponential growth potential, judge for yourself if you want to be involved in something scarily big..

Please write to dimanamu@hotmail.com in the first instance

Cheers
TC

#2 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

I need an extremely competent script writer initially for free, on the basis of the website imminentlty being able to offer part time to full time employment for the right person.

The story goes that Picasso was sitting in a Paris café when an admirer approached and asked if he would do a quick sketch on a paper napkin. Picasso politely agreed, swiftly executed the work, and handed back the napkin — but not before asking for a rather significant amount of money. The admirer was shocked: “How can you ask for so much? It took you a minute to draw this!” “No”, Picasso replied, “It took me 40 years”.

You wouldn't believe the amount of offers I receive to work on "awesome" and "massive" web projects that will "blow the competition out of the water." Of course, the caveat is that I have to work for free, with some vague promise of recompense further down the line "when it's successful."....

If you don't value an expert's time enough to pay them, why should anyone value your proposal? You gotta give something out to get something back and your proposal is not only unattractive, it's actually quite disrespectful with the assumption that people would be willing to give an unknown person a chunk of their time and expertise for no reward.

I'd suggest you think a little more clearly about the message you just put out (in three different forums no less!) and perhaps try again with a more attractive offer. You might get a better response if there's an actual incentive involved.

#3 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:53 AM

I have to agree with Matt. In our industry we see this day-in, day-out and everyone's project is the 'next big thing' - but you can't ask a designer to create a website or similar for nothing - its time consuming plus if they are of any skill will be busy with paid work anyway.
Maybe you should try the likes of www.peopleperhour.com that is a world-wide community of freelancers that some of them need to get on the ladder so to speak so may want to take on your project.... but as Matt says - an incentive of some kind would be polite and attractive.
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#4 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

I wish you well in your venture. However this freebie approach was a huge problem in the design sector until everyone realised they had to come together - all designers/script writers should say no to free tendering. Besides if you don't remunerate them the script will be their exclusive copyright and they could easily come back to you for a large chunk of money when you are successful. There are enough IT law suits going on to convince you this is very likely.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#5 TopCat

TopCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hi all

Many thanks for your comments.They are all appreciated.

However,please note, the offer is to listen to the proposal before any agreements or commitments can be made by either side.

Many massive sites were started by students who were script experienced and their site would have been way to expensive to even start had they been commenced with full paid developments costs.

The offer is, as explained, to be in on something potentially big from the start, this would benefit anyone who is genuinely as excited as I am about this project and, as development is virtually limitless, all income will be invested in further development, the scope of this is here for anyone who is interested and serious to listen.

The picasso remuneration levels are understood, small businesses are one big way that picasso fees can be realised, it is upto anyone who is happy to listen and evaluate for themselves.

Thank you also for advice on the legal situation, I am grateful for this and a remedy to avoid this issue can be drawn up if anyone is keen enough to evaluate my proposal and choose to accept.

If anyone is interested, you are welcome to let me know at dimanamu@hotmail.com, if not, I entirely understand and wish you all well.

KR
TC

#6 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

If you're starting a site with aims to be "massive", you only need two things:

1) A talented, motivated and enthusiastic designer
2) A talented, motivated and enthusiastic developer

If you're very lucky, you'll get both sets of skills in one person. You're even luckier if both these people are you. ;-)

Everything else is an initial unnecessary cost. Write the script yourself (you can get an expert to hone it later).

Ideas are cheap. It's the execution that's important. I wish you well with your venture, but I can't help thinking I've heard this all before. I hope you prove me wrong! Good luck. :)

#7 TopCat

TopCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

Matt

Ideas are what makes things happen.
How on earth would you have heard it before if you haven't heard the idea?
Would facebook, ebay, youtube and twitter be included in your cheap ideas?

Read the advert, it does say anyone interested to listen and evaluate, but please don't rubbish ideas that you haven't heard. Some people are positive, anyone can be negative.
Read the advert pls. Feel free not to listen if you wish, but to rubbish an idea before knowing what it is is just negative, let others decide who are interested to know more.

Some people are confident with their work, this being the case, all that remains is are they confident in the project. That can only be achieved, as the ad says, by anyone interested to listen to the project, clearly your not, that's all good, but wishing people well after posting negative comments is clearly not the case.

KR
TC

#8 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

TopCat,

Hope you find someone interested in assisting - good luck with your venture :)

#9 Redbunny23

Redbunny23

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

Matt

Ideas are what makes things happen.
How on earth would you have heard it before if you haven't heard the idea?
Would facebook, ebay, youtube and twitter be included in your cheap ideas?

Read the advert, it does say anyone interested to listen and evaluate, but please don't rubbish ideas that you haven't heard. Some people are positive, anyone can be negative.
Read the advert pls. Feel free not to listen if you wish, but to rubbish an idea before knowing what it is is just negative, let others decide who are interested to know more.

Some people are confident with their work, this being the case, all that remains is are they confident in the project. That can only be achieved, as the ad says, by anyone interested to listen to the project, clearly your not, that's all good, but wishing people well after posting negative comments is clearly not the case.

KR
TC

Topcat

I think Matt's comments were aimed at helping you, not rubbishing your idea. He clearly knows what he's talking about. I don't. But I do know that setting up anything on line is incredibly hard and even the best ideas can fail very easily if the execution is off the mark - I've worked on enough .com projects over the years to find that out the hard way!

Facebook, Ebay, YouTube and Twitter weren't the first, or only, people to have any of their 'ideas' - but they are the ones that have been (arguably) best executed so the public have embraced them and they have become household names and the most successful in their field.

To help your auction site to really succeed, I think you need to take onboard any tiny morsel of expert advice offered. You are going to get knocks along the way and, if it is going to be massive, you will also get blaggers looking for a cheap buck from your idea and hard work. The fewer hangers on you have involved at set up, the higher the rewards and accolades for you when you outstrip the competition - which is, I think, the advice that Matt was offering you too in a less round-about way!

I also wish you the very best of luck. Sounds very exciting!! Keep us posted!

#10 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

TopCat: I am not rubbishing your ideas. I merely stated that ideas are cheap, and indeed they are.

Ideas are *not* what make things happen. I have hundreds of ideas every day, but I recognise that most of them are crap. It's the execution of an idea that's important. You could have the most amazing idea for a world changing product, but it counts for nothing if you don't know how to realise it.

I'm an experienced web designer who has seen more than his fair share of people coming up with ideas, but without the skills and experience to make their visions a reality. I am simply observing that you seem to be in the same position, so I offered some advice.

There is a very big gap between simply having an idea, and actually having the skills to put the idea into practice. eBay, Google and Facebook were started by people who had the idea AND the skills. They didn't just sit there and think "I need people to make this work", they did the work themselves. Once they had working prototypes, that's when they could get investment and expand their staff to get the experts they needed to go to the next level.

The way you presented your proposal suggested you wanted other people to do the work. You offered absolutely no information on what other people are already involved, what skills you yourself will be bringing to the project, or anything remotely resembling an attractive offer for potential partners.

Asking interested parties to look at your proposal is obviously the first step for anyone to get involved; but you need to offer something beyond that, an incentive. You asked people to work for free and that's simply not cool. Please explain to me how that is an attractive proposition?

I am sorry if you felt my comments were negative. They simply came from experience. I've seen so many people come up with similar proposals, and barely 1% of them get anywhere with their projects. I'm not saying that to dampen your enthusiasm, it's just a simple truth.

Perhaps exposure to such proposals has made me jaded. I was simply trying to offer you some practical advice and constructive criticism. I gave you pointers on what's important in starting a web project. I stand by it as good advice and you're free to do with that what you will.

#11 TopCat

TopCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

Matt

Please try to understand, the advert reads to anyone who would like to listen, this is where more info is forthcoming, it also reads interested parties will be required to sign non disclosure papers as the banks believe the idea is so good (read between the lines-how often are banks so helpful and complimentary?)

If you want to be helpful, please do try to read the posting and , whether your experiences are jaded or not, there are two types of people, jobsworths and job creators, if you have no experience of job creation I would suggest you might have limited your comments to positive issues or non at all, please do not put others off with unhelpful comments.

You have not heard the idea.
You do not know me.
You do not know my oen personal abilities and experiences.
You seem to have made assumptions based on your own personal experiences which have nothing to do with me.
You have offered advice which has therefore no basis on fact or to my posting.

I aprrecisted ytou may have attempted at constructive criticism, but in effect it is unhelpful and negative.

As for my initial posting, if anyone wants me to wrap it up in false promises, forget it. I wrote the truth, straight up, so everyone can know the truth, as in ebay, I believe honesty is the best policy. My posting will definitely put off people who have no vision or aspirations beyond being a tabloid reader. Anyone else who is interested in an exciting opportunity and future beyond surfdom is welcome to contact me and have a listen, listen being the operative word. You have decided not to, that is fine.

Please leave it that you are not interested personally and that you have the ability to stop further input.

TC

#12 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:37 AM

TopCat, I think you need to appreciate that here you are pitching for a professional to work for free, and you are no longer pitching your idea to the bank.

Just like matt-h I have been approached to develop amazing ideas that "will conquer the world" for free on many occasions. Too many. I'm probably just as jaded as matt-h so you can dismiss my comments too if you want. However you'll probably encounter many other web professionals with the same experience. Your proposal is not the first.

As a web professional with 15+ years experience I recommend you reconsider matt-h's proposal to develop your idea in-house as far as you can go. MAMP/WAMP can be installed on most computers for free. Then, if you think the idea is still good put your own money behind it (or ask the bank for an advance if it's that good) and pay for the professional input. I wouldn't use them myself but if you need to stretch the money then perhaps look to India for outsourcing companies (hitechitsoft.net hit my spam filter this morning).

I think matt-h has offered you constructive advice. Besides a technologist and a designer you will probably need a good lawyer because gambling laws may touch upon your auction concept. You'll also need a security consultant to ensure data and finance systems remain secure.

#13 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

TopCat, I've got to say I'm with the others on this (for the most part), though I do recognise and appreciate the entrepreneurial spirit of your proposition and argument.

Why not offer an equity stake in the business up front? If it is truly a massive opportunity, I'm sure those reading the proposal will to and it would be incentive enough for them to work for free.

However, you won't even get anyone to the stage of reading the proposal only by incentivising them with a work for free offer. Or, certainly not the right calibre of individual who'll have the skills and experience to code the next eBay, as they'll probably have no problem finding paid work if they're that good.

On topic and on a lighter friday note, for all the designers out there who haven't seen this youtube vid and the associated sequels, it's a must (though a little rude at the end).

Web Designer vs Client

#14 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

Nice one... in the words of Homer Simpson "it's funny 'cause it's true" (youtube)

I wonder whether anyone watched Theo Paphitis on his tv show Britain's Next Big Thing, where he extolled the virtues of getting a deal with a big retail chain such as Habitat and selling a licensing deal instead of supplying a product. With today's news it doesn't look like such a hot ticket.

However, if you are looking for a technologist and funding then the UK has some young entrepreneurial self-made millionaires that can help you. Someone with the resources like Duncan Jennings could take your idea and turn it into reality.

#15 TopCat

TopCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

Dear everyone

Mat H writes that ideas are nothing, it is the likes of people such as himself that create the wealth, then why isn't every script writer rich?

I have the idea, it has been received well, so why are a people adamant to judge without listening?

Please have the courtesy to read my initial posting and understand it, it was posted without false promises or bribes, but written entirely honestly, it is for anyone interested in the possibility of a genuinely exponentially improving future to judge, not to anyone who wishes to judge before knowing any content.

I am happy to rule out anyone who rules themselves out or who is unable to follow logic.

I am happy to talk to anyone who has higher aspirations than toiling with next to nothing to show for it. All I posted was, you be the judge, that is how confident I am.

Please feel free to contact me if you have the requisite qualities, otherwise, good luck, sayanara and adios.

Cheers

TC