#16 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

Right, back after a weeks self imposed exile

TopCat

Keep it up mate. These IT bods live in bit of a footballer type bubble in my opinion. If I was in IT I would make the odd speculative punt on the back of a good idea. What do they have to lose? A lot to gain potentially. If I was in anyway suitable, I'd give you a whirl.

FWIW I think you've been treated harshly here. I get the impression you were asking only for a bit of advice.

Good luck in your venture, I hope it all works out for you.

#17 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

TopCat, it's a shame that you seem to have entirely misunderstood my posts.

If you read my posts again, you'll see that I did not once rubbish your idea or your concept. I did not judge your idea harshly or any such thing that you claim. I am sure your idea is very good and I'm sure that you are confident about it and the bank think it's great too.

I simply expressed strong opinions about two things:

1) Asking people to work for free is disrespectful
2) Ideas on their own aren't valuable: execution of the idea is the important bit.

There's no point explaining either of those points again, it's all there in what I wrote before.

I'm confused about what you mean by a "script writer"? I think you actually mean web developer? Are you looking for someone to write the words on your website (script writer) or actually design and build your website (web developer)? I'm still not sure I understand what skills your looking for?

#18 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

Right, back after a weeks self imposed exile

TopCat

Keep it up mate. These IT bods live in bit of a footballer type bubble in my opinion. If I was in IT I would make the odd speculative punt on the back of a good idea. What do they have to lose? A lot to gain potentially. If I was in anyway suitable, I'd give you a whirl.

FWIW I think you've been treated harshly here. I get the impression you were asking only for a bit of advice.

Good luck in your venture, I hope it all works out for you.

He got some fantastic advice I thought. And I agree with you SLR, people do sometimes need to take a speculative punt. I'm currently collaborating with someone I found right here on VN on an IT project. I asked them if they would take a punt in producing a demo for a client 'for free', which they agreed to. Big BUT coming. The deal was that they would be paid a share of the revenue from the project. We successfully won the project and we'll both be paid out based on a fair agreement.

If I'd said, hey do all the work for free and there might be a job at the end of it, otherwise I'm free to take all your hard work and profit from it, I'm sure the answer would have been a resolute no.

Take a look at my link in my first reply....watch the video...see how many other related videos have been posted, how many views they've had and how many people have 'liked' the videos vs. 'disliked' them and you'll get a sense of how many people work in the design / web industry and can empathise with the views shared in this thread.

Popular opinion is always a sound basis for advice in my opinion.

Another My linkgreat video if you liked the first :)

#19 TopCat

TopCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Railings

Some people just need to relax a bit,if they have been invited to listen to a pitch, what can hurt them?
I will network people who want to build a future for themselves.

Good luck to you too buddy and thanks for taking the time to offer support, it's appreciated.

Cheers
TC

#20 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

I agree with matt-h on this one and can totally understand his response.

p.s. looking at TopCats email account name I thought he was a Nigerian spammer.

#21 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:54 AM

Good luck to you too buddy and thanks for taking the time to offer support, it's appreciated.

By this I think you appear to be implying everyone else has been unsupportive?

If you continue to put up brick walls between yourself and anyone suggesting alternatives you aren't going to get very far are you? It's disappointing to see you can't take on any new ideas when you are the one asking people to believe in yours.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#22 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

I agree with matt-h on this one and can totally understand his response.

p.s. looking at TopCats email account name I thought he was a Nigerian spammer.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am fine today and how are you? I hope this letter will find you in the best of health. I am Prince Joe Eboh, the Chairman of the “Contract Award Committee”, of the “Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC)”, a subsidiary of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).

The Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) was set up by the late Head of State, General Sani Abacha who died on 18th June 1998, to manage the excess revenue accruing from the sales of Petroleum and its allied products as a domestic increase in the petroleum products to develop the communities in the Niger Delta Oil producing areas. The estimated annual revenue for 1999 was $45 Billion US Dollars Ref. FMF A26 Unit 3B Paragraph “D” of the Auditor General of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Report of Nov. 1999 on estimated revenue.

I am the Chairman of the Contract Award Committee, and my committee is solely responsible for awaiting and paying of contracts on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria. My Committee Awarded Contracts to foreign contractors for Drilling and Ecological Matters in the oil producing areas of Niger Delta. We overshot the contract sum by US$25,000,000.00. We have paid the contractors and withholding the balance of US$25,000, 000.00. But, because of the existence of some of the domestic laws forbidding civil servants in Nigeria from opening, operating and maintaining foreign accounts, we do not have the expertise to transfer this balance of fund to a foreign account.

However, this balance of US$25,000, 000.00 has been secured in form of Credit/Payment to a foreign contractor, hence we wish to transfer into your bank account as the beneficiary of the fund. We have also arrived at a conclusion that you will be given 20% of the total sum transferred as our foreign partner, while 5% will be reserved for incidental expenses that both parties will incur in the course of actualizing this transaction, and the balance of 75% will be kept for the committee members.

If you know that you will be capable of helping us actualize this transaction, you should send to me immediately the details of your bank particulars or open a new bank account where we can transfer the money US$25,000, 000.00, which you will be holding in trust for us until we come to your country for our share. Your nature of business does not matter in this transaction. The required details includes your company’s name, address, your private personal telephone/fax numbers, your full name and address, including your complete bank details where the transferred fund will be routed by the Apex Bank.

Note that this transaction is expected to be actualized within 21 working days from the day the required details are forwarded to the Federal Ministry of Finance who will approve the needed foreign exchange control allocation for the release of this money to your account. Please, treat this as top secret. You should contact me urgently.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Yours faithfully,

Prince Joe Eboh

#23 TopCat

TopCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:46 AM

Unfortunately

An ad was placed to invite a programmer to listen to a potential project, some have decided to formulate so called constructive criticism (unfortunately choosing rage against nothing in particular) with various forms of unrequested advice, nobody actually reading the posting.

The ad was designed to attract people who want a life, not those who have no chance.

Take some advice from TopCat, jog on kitties, jog on!

As to the nobody writing reference to Nigerian scams, it is sad that you waste your time on foolishness, perhaps you really should consult Prince Eboh as this may be your only chance to make money.

Time wasters need not apply. There are people who have better things to do than listen to the prattlings of a few who don't know what they are arguing about as they refuse to listen to the subject matter and then protest that their kind words have not been listened to.

My posting has been stunningly succesfull at ruling out time wasters leaving the door open for those who can process simple logic and have the ability to make their own minds up, simple really, when you think about it.

jog on kitties!

Cheers
TC

#24 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

Somebody please remind me if I ever waste another minute of my time with this joker. ;)

European.vote - EU Referendum

#25 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

Dear Prince Joe 'SLR' Eboh

Thank you for the opportunity but I'm afraid your offer is too incentivising as you offer '20% of the total sum transferred as our foreign partner'. I'm afraid i can only offer my services for free as that's what gets me out of bed in the mornings...

Dear Top Cat

Would personally have loved to have seen a response to my suggestion of offering and equity stake as it was a genuine suggestion of advice. Good idea, bad idea??? you never know, I could have web development skills, 13 years marketing background, who's launched 2 successful subscription based online ventures, and with a bit of time on their hands. And i might be the person who spent 3 weeks studying the online auction business model for a separate start-up venture. But then again I could just be the person who decided not to work for a corporate anymore due the frustration of lack of listening and engagement skills of senior management.

But your probably not even bothering to read and digest this, so I'll move on and waste my time elsewhere.

Hope the Top Cat gets the cream.

;) ;)

#26 TopCat

TopCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

James, may I remind you, you just wasted another minute! Not sure why you insist on wasting time.

Cityview, you had one of the very few suggestions with merit, however, terms are there to be agreed upon hearing the proposition and essentially hearing web designer's professional capabilities, depending on levels of interest from both sides, that would really be the best and probably only sensible time to agree a way forwards based on the actual situation, otherwise, if a programmer isn't happy then no progress is made. Ultimately, people have to agree. I did not wrap up my posting with false promises, merely mentioned joining a project which clearly someone wouldn't do if they are unhappy with terms.

If the idea is rubbish, then the programmer would lose nothing, if a programmer loves the idea then a deal may be there for the taking, as my initial posting mentioned, I am looking for someone to join the project and clearly the right person will only agree if they are happy with their own incentives.

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers
TC

#27 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

I've been called a lot of things in my time (warranted I concede). But a 'nobody' never. That's made my day.

Yours
Prince Oboh

#28 TopCat

TopCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

Dear Prince Oboh and SLR

I referred to the member (Hermit) referring to you as well as my online name as a Nigerian spammer, as a nobody, I in no way make any warranted or unwarranted reference to your good self who is probably more honest than these disreputable types who cast aspersions on everyone else other than themselves.

Indeed, I have referred James to your services and wish him well.

Respectfully
TC

#29 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:43 PM

Dear Prince Oboh and SLR

I referred to the member (Hermit) referring to you as well as my online name as a Nigerian spammer, as a nobody, I in no way make any warranted or unwarranted reference to your good self who is probably more honest than these disreputable types who cast aspersions on everyone else other than themselves.

Indeed, I have referred James to your services and wish him well.

Respectfully
TC

Oh, I see. Sorry. You're a very perceptive reader of people. Hermit really is a nobody...

By the way. Have you seen that Madbid.com site. Whoever came up with that is a genius

#30 TopCat

TopCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

Yes, absolutely...
It's all about new ideas for goods and services that nobody else has done, and that as many people as possible need, everything's being taken over by the web, the high street is disappearing, the big companies are getting massively more powerful, bosses less receptive to staff, which is why there is going to be less and less money for everyone, not to mention economic banking chaos destabilising economies, accept for people involved with innovation and original thinking, just ask Steve Jobs and Dyson.
I love people who try to make a difference!
SLR, do drop me an email and say hi.
Cheers
TC