• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 lappet ha

lappet ha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

I have someone in my family who was employed as a nurse at the Brooklyn Institute at 156 Anerley Road in 1900. I am assuming this stood on the block between Versailles & Madeline Roads where the Brooklyn flats now stand.

My own recollections of the area go back to the 50s, for I grew up a little further up the hill, my grandfather having founded a grocery & provision business there in 1917, he had two shops, No. 45 on the corner of 'The Alley' & No. 49. Thomas' the sweet, tobacconist & newsagent stood between at No. 47 and the butcher, who boiled lard each Friday, at No. 51 - you could smell it for miles! The Jacobs were at 53, another sweet shop, which was great, for being a Jewish family they were closed on Saturdays and open on Sundays when no other businesses were allowed they did a great Sunday trade with no competition!

I seem to remember a block of flats on the site mentioned above, although the current ones were apparently built in the 60s by the local authority I had left the area by then. Does anyone have any knowledge of the Brooklyn Institute or recollections of what stood on the site previous to 1960?

Many thanks

Lappet ha