• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can point me in a good direction as the help I've received so far has not been great.

A cat turned up at our flats a few months ago and has caused no end of trouble with mine and next door's cat. He seems to be feral and is around most of the time and has attacked all three of my cats quite seriously. One won't go out any more and next door's cat wets herself on sight of him :(

I did try to be-friend him by feeding him and being nice and even though he hisses at me he would also "smile" at me and let me stroke his head. However, last week he was attacking my tabby cat who I went to rescue and all hell broke loose. I picked my cat up as he sprung at him and as he couldn't get my cat he attacked my leg so badly that I had to go to the doctors cos the infection he'd given me was so bad. He literally shredded my leg :o

I know it was partly my fault for getting involved and since then I've kept my distance. I don't feed him and sometimes throw water at him to get him to leave but he won't stay away from my cats. I've called the RSPCA who did absolutely nothing and couldn't help so I rang the Croydon Cats Protection League who, although very sweet, said they only had two trappers and would maybe get out to me at some point in the future which doesn't help.

I don't want any harm to come to him, I just want someone to take him away from us maybe neuter him/home him! You can't get near him to get him in a box and judging by the state of my leg I don't want to! Does anyone know of anyone else who would be able to help please?

#2 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Fearsome beast! Sounds like its slightly bonkers, as some cats will be. Sorry for your cat, and your leg.

I think the poster named Molly knows a lot about dealing with difficult cats and re-homing them. Search on her name perhaps and send a PM?

#3 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Ziwa, it's definitely worth a try! It's very hard to explain to the *** people how bonkers he is without sounding so myself :P

#4 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

Maybe you could try the Celia Hammond Trust as well! I have a feeling the RSPCA wouldn't be interested as he is feral and not in immediate danger from abuse by a human (unless you can get close enough and use your good leg,lol) I could be wrong and they may help though so maybe worth a shot, good luck.

#5 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

The solution.Attached File  31da3602aa2c-1.jpg   10.77KB   4 downloads

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#6 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

VN has it's very own man for the job. Though i fear for the cats wellbeing

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

Bear trap !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice, except possibly Fang, SLR and Dazza! Posted Image

:P

#9 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

Whereabouts do you live? We've had problems with a nasty cat bullying our cat - we're on Patterson Road. My cat won't use his cat flap at the back now (where the baddie cat hangs out) and insists on using the front door at inconvenient times of his choosing! Several other cats in our block are too scared to go out at all... This naughty feline has also come in through our back door and attacked our tabby and wee'd everywhere! I once had to wash several thousand (well it felt like it) pieces of Thomas Tank Engine track that came under fire! :ph34r:

Edited by Miss Chips, 05 July 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#10 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

Couldnt possibly give you my truthful answer though !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#11 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

Whereabouts do you live? We've had problems with a nasty cat bullying our cat - we're on Patterson Road. My cat won't use his cat flap at the back now (where the baddie cat hangs out) and insists on using the front door at inconvenient times of his choosing! Several other cats in our block are too scared to go out at all... This naughty feline has also come in through our back door and attacked our tabby and wee'd everywhere! I once had to wash several thousand (well it felt like it) pieces of Thomas Tank Engine track that came under fire! :ph34r:

We live at the top end of Grange Road so a bit out of your way but I wouldn't put it past the little sod :unsure:

This one is black and white (and a bit brown on his back) and hisses at you if you go near him. He won't come in our flat thank god but that must have been a nightmare for you!

Get a water pistol and shoot him on sight, it chases evil cat away. Mind you, he does still come back :(

#12 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

Could you send you moggy on a little weekend break and borrow a dog for the duration? A spot of barking and a spray of dog pee might do the trick.

#13 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

Sadly no :(

All three of my cats are a pain in the proverbial when it comes to them being anywhere except home and I'm at work all day so it wouldn't be fair on the dog.

My neighbour is a pet sitter though and occasionally brings a big labradoodle home for a run around but it doesn't seem to bother evil cat :ph34r:

#14 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:51 AM

This is a horrible dilemma because obviously such a violent animal should be reported to the police and probably put down but this is not an easy option for those of us who have trouble killing flies! I can't help with options to save the cat as frankly even cat agencies would probably not feel it possible to re-introduce this cat back into the community safely. If it helps to sort your mind out I will tell you that the cat we have now would have ripped us to bits when we first had him, in fact it took three hours for the previous owners to get him into a cat basket and they looked worst for wear after the experience. It then was about three and a half months before we actually saw him, He lived in the cupboards in the loft coming out only to feed and go to the toilet. When he did finally come out it then took him aobut two months before he would come down and interact with us. He will now sit next to us and is the most affectionate cat possible. However he is off if he feels you get between him and freedom ie stroking him with both hands and if you tried to pick him up, he would rip you to pieces as he fought to get free. He would mean you no harm but is as strong as an ox. When he was in the loft I trapped im out of the cupboard by pushing a board accross the entrance once he had come out. I could not move the board with one hand and yet pure panic allowed the cat to move it with one paw! If I had not seen it myself I would not have believed it and I tried for some time to do it with one hand as I could not believe what I had just witnessed.

I suppose what I am saying is that we put enormous time and effort into this cat's wellbeing and he still won't go outside, hence permanent cat litter indoors and the level of fear that he retains continues to upset me. His history was that he ran away from home, probably chasing a lady cat, and culd not find his way home for nine months. When he finally got home, his owners had moved away and the new owners did not like cats. He spent a year in a cattery and a short time in foster care. We do love him now but he will never lose his ferral ways, scavanging food and intense defensiveness.

The sad thing is that the cat you describe may be the product of bad treatment but this does not negate the fact that he is hurting your cats and let's face they really need your protection against this unfair opponent. If it were a violent child attacking your child, you would sort it out no matter what the background of the bully. If it were me, I would make an appointment to see a vet and ask their advice. I would ask if there was something I could put in the cats food to sedate it enough to take it to the vetinary surgery for assessment.
Hope this helps. Another thing you could do is go to the cat sanctiary called Foal Farm which is in Jail Lane Biggin Hill Kent, You could pay them a visit and ask their advice. They are a wonderful cat organisation.

I feel for you on this one and wish you luck. If you waver just ask yourself how you would feel if it killed one of your cats. If you need support please pm me. I will not want to see the cat as I am as soppy as you are but am here for a chat if that would help.

Edited by Silver, 07 July 2011 - 06:56 AM.

#15 duddle

duddle

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

Have you photographed the little bugger yet?? We should have a name and shame post for him. I have a similar problem with a cat who insists on spending the night in the house with my own cat. It always ends up in a territorial fight!