• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

I don't want to speak too soon but it seems that Evil Cat has gone!!!! Haven't seen him in a week so I think the chucking a glass of water/jumping up and down and shouting at him approach seems to have worked :D

Fingers crossed he's off to pastures new although I hope none of you have the pleasure of meeting him!

#17 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

Cat comes in through our cat flap now and my cat is too scared to go out now. My settee was ruined by one of the cats peeing (not sure if it was mine or the visitor) so hd to throw it out (the sette. I now block up the cat flap and have a litter tray at night for my cat. It is all very unsatisfactory and if you will excuse the pun I am pissed off. It is the heighbours cat that comes in so don't know what to do.

#18 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Cat comes in through our cat flap now and my cat is too scared to go out now. My settee was ruined by one of the cats peeing (not sure if it was mine or the visitor) so hd to throw it out (the sette. I now block up the cat flap and have a litter tray at night for my cat. It is all very unsatisfactory and if you will excuse the pun I am pissed off. It is the heighbours cat that comes in so don't know what to do.

Someone I worked for had this problem and bought a special catflap that has an oyster card reader sort of thing. A chip is inserted into your cat which opens it for that cat only.
It does have its flaws as they had to build a ramp/platform for the cat to enter at a certain angle otherwise it didn't work.
gekko also has one and says that if the cat does a paws first lunge it also doesn't work.
They may have improved the software by now though.

#19 Kas

Kas

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

We had serious problems with 2 cats that kept coming into our house through the cat flap (even when I was upstairs!!), stealing our cat's food and spraying all over the place....
We got so fed up and then decided to invest in a microchip cat flap, which means only our cat can now use it (if you have more than one cat, it's not a problem as they can all use it once they are recorded). To be honest, it was a not a straightforward process and we even had to add another chip into our cat (rare situation apparently). It is quite expensive but worth all the money (I have been saving on food and cleaning products!). The brand we used is called Sureflap and they are very helpful.
Hope that helps.

#20 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

Cat flaps can be over-rated!

Posted Image

:lol:
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#21 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

The electronic flaps didn't work for my cats as when they were being chased by hostile cats they would tear up the fire escape stairs and pile through the cat flap like bullets - when I fitted an electronic flap the electronic device didn't have time to release the mechanism and they would do a Tom & Jerry'esque smash into the closed flap :(

#22 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

I have a Pet Porte and it worked fine for a while. However, it seems to be broken at the moment and I need to investigate why. As Hermit mentioned, they aren't much good if your cat likes to test the catflap with their paw first as it will only activate when the head passes under the scanner! They take a moment or two to activate so if your cat is being chased, they may not get through quickly enough (as Andreas pointed out). However, if they are being chased by another cat, having a normal catflap wouldn't help either as the chaser would just follow your cat in. We bought the Pet Porte due to an intruding cat from over the back who developed a penchant for Hill's Science Plan. The catflap did the trick and he no longer visits. I wouldn't recommend the magnetic catflap (I used to have one of those). The magnet on your cat's collar will pick up a variety of metal objects, which are potentially dangerous to the cat. Margot used to bring quite a few nails in :(.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#23 neildmc

neildmc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

Another recommendation for http://www.sureflap.co.uk/ microchip cat flaps.

We got a old but new 2nd edition one from an eBay retailer in Jan but had problems with a neighbour's Cat simply running and smashing the thing open. When I spoke to Sureflap they were shocked at the strength of the cat but sent out replacement parts immediately (free of charge) that brought the flap in line with the latest 5th edition (which has a stronger door and better latch mechanism). Does the job great now and keeps out the other cat.

#24 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

Liz, if 'evil cat' returns please call Barbara at the Croydon Animal Samaritans between 12pm and 7pm on 020 8688 6568 and explain your situation. They do have a feral cat section and try and re-home these animals onto farms. Even the most 'evil' cat deserves assistance as it's not his/her fault they've ended up this way. Well done with trying to help.

Poor Silver's cat took a years worth of work to get him to a rehomeable state and even then he's still a traumatised furry boy. He was one of the hardest cases CAS has ever encountered. We can only imagine how poorly he was treated before reaching CAS and then the sanctuary of Silver's loving and patient home.

After a very strong local male cat broke into two new cats flaps we purchased to get access to our own cats food and snuggle up on the sofa we decided to shell out about £80 for the Pet Porte one that works via your own cat's microchip. The intruder cat had broken it within 24 hours. Intruder cat is a very well loved and known local cat so I can't rehome him! If only he was a stray then I could do something about it!!