• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

We've got a very fecund apple tree in the garden. Usually I salvage a few fruits for the odd crumble but that's it. This year, even I was shamed by the quantity of produce tumbling to the ground, so I thought I'd make chutney.

Here's what I bought:
4 x 1pt Kilner jars @ 2.59 (or some weird price) each = 10.36
4 bottles of malt vinegar @ 90p each = 3.60
2 bags sugar @ 1 each = 2
Jar of mixed spice (already had the other spices required) = 1.36
1lb of onions - 50p
Bag of sultanas = 1.54

... making the princely sum of 19.36.

Add to that labour costs:
2hrs peeling & chopping apples and onions, sterilising all equipment, and huge clearing and washing up job
= 100 (at reduced rate)

Plus the energy costs of simmering for 8hrs to achieve the right consistency = say 2

Grand total: 121.36
Yield: 2 jars. Supposed to be for Xmas pressies, but pound for pound, cheaper to go to Tiffany's.

Won't get fooled again. Home preserving sucks! This is why the Industrial Revolution was invented!

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

My bro tried to save money by buying and installing a gas boiler. It fell off the wall, creating a significant gas leak + emergency call out by British Gas (as was) and ruining the boiler - he ended up paying twice the amount that he would have paid for a professional installation (nuts - but I still love him!).

#3 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:17 PM

We've got a very fecund apple tree in the garden. Usually I salvage a few fruits for the odd crumble but that's it. This year, even I was shamed by the quantity of produce tumbling to the ground, so I thought I'd make chutney.

Here's what I bought:
4 x 1pt Kilner jars @ 2.59 (or some weird price) each = 10.36
4 bottles of malt vinegar @ 90p each = 3.60
2 bags sugar @ 1 each = 2
Jar of mixed spice (already had the other spices required) = 1.36
1lb of onions - 50p
Bag of sultanas = 1.54

... making the princely sum of 19.36.

Add to that labour costs:
2hrs peeling & chopping apples and onions, sterilising all equipment, and huge clearing and washing up job
= 100 (at reduced rate)

Plus the energy costs of simmering for 8hrs to achieve the right consistency = say 2

Grand total: 121.36
Yield: 2 jars. Supposed to be for Xmas pressies, but pound for pound, cheaper to go to Tiffany's.

Won't get fooled again. Home preserving sucks! This is why the Industrial Revolution was invented!

Nice one NanaZ - I'm a complete homepreserving freak. 50 an hour for labour costs though! Whatever happened to "Labour of Love"??

A couple of top tips:

Make sure you get the jars back after Christmas; and
Reduce your labour costs ;)

But seriously I make Chutney every year and "relish" giving out jars as pressies. But it does make you think about the real cost of food.

PS Any spare apples??
PPS I am very proud of your endeavours!

Edited by charlie, 11 August 2011 - 10:19 PM.

#4 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

Thanks Charlie. I do have leftover apples but not enough for more chutney (not using the damn fool 8hr method anyway)so I'll just freeze em I think. Good tip to ask for the jars back. But I think I'll put the money towards a nice jar from Blackbird or Good Taste!

Totally get that SL. If you don't believe in spontaneous combustion, get a professional boiler person on the subject :lol:

Good news - the eye-watering whiff of vinegar is beginning to subside...

#5 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:47 PM

Enjoying the whiff of cider vinegar and spices as I write.

Free apples from Auckland Road
6 heads of garlic
12 green chillis
mustard seed - alot
fenugrek seed - little
sugar lots
cumin seed - ground in the coffee grinder (nice)
tumeric
chilli powder
peppercorns
oil
cider vinegar

2.5 hours leisurely prep time - it's the peeling and chopping of the apples and garlic which is the killer
1hour on the stove

6 jars of hot and spicy apple chutney for the Christmas store

Edited by charlie, 18 September 2011 - 09:50 PM.

#6 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:06 AM

I'm surprised the smell of cider vinegar and spices didn't make it on to News and Local Issues - I'd imagine much of the Croydon side of SE19 would have been affected... Anyhow, it's a lovely autumnal treat.

Now I'm saving up for the next time I have a drink with Nanazola (though I suppose if there are a few of us, we can have a kitty for the £50/hour charge...)
opposed to taking terrapins.

#7 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

Tsk, you don't need to save up for a drink with me, andreas :D! A Justgiving page is very easy to set up.