14 replies to this topic

#1 JuliaABM

JuliaABM

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

This is a bit of a shot in the dark!

My 21 year old nephew is desperately trying to get work since leaving college, but its proving difficult as he has no work experience. (He eventually wants to work in IT).

He is a lovely young man, very willing, and keen. Would anyone be willing to give him a day or twos work experience in an office? He could help out with photocopying, filing or anything general free of charge, even if only for a few hours!?

I can vouch for his good nature and to his credit he has been a supporter of the Save Our Park Crystal Palace Campaign and the Cinema Campaign.

I would welcome any response here, or by Private Message.

Fingers crossed and many thanks!

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

I enquired at work, but, sadly there are no internship spots free till February! :(

#3 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

I'm asking too.

#4 JuliaABM

JuliaABM

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

MANY thanks for the responses so far ! My fingers are still crossed ! :)

#5 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

A friend of mine has recently started volunteering at her local library which was/is under threat of closure. Might be worthwhile enquiring there?
aka Pie

#6 CPAndy

CPAndy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Get him to look at www.do-it.org.uk lots of interesting voluntary work available and will give him a bit of experience for a CV. I'm looking at doing some myself as i'm not working at the moment either. Hint hint to anyone looking for an experienced IT worker.

#7 JuliaABM

JuliaABM

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

Many, many thanks for the responses ! I really appreciate it ! :) :)

#8 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:08 PM

I have asked someone and am awaiting a response.

#9 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

Not a no from my side but there's nothing at the moment. I'll keep my ear to the ground in case you still need something later.

#10 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

Just chatting to a new young guy in our office, and he's doing a 12 week (don't know if paid or not - paid, I hope) internship in our office, helping the IT dept roll out Office 2010 to all our machines. He said he hopes it will help him get a job. Applying for work experience for college leavers definitely seems to be a good way forward these days, what with the lack of jobs out there.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#11 CPAndy

CPAndy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

Not just college leavers either moc I'm looking at it and I'm old and greyish. Got a wealth of work experience behind me but can't get an IT job even with a 1st class degree in IT and other qualifications because I've not the relevant IT experience in the workplace even though I know I can do the jobs and have self employed experience. Supposed to be no age discrimination but when companies work out that I'm a recent graduate but have a 30 year work history behind me I never hear anymore (they don't say so of course).

#12 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

Sorry to hear that Andy. It does get a lot harder once you reach a certain age - have seen two 50 yr old friends struggle in the same way. There used to be an agency in the city that was set up specifically for the more mature job seeker, as many employers value the wealth of experience and loyalty/consistency that the older employee tends to bring, I don't know if that agency is still around though?
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#13 CPAndy

CPAndy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

Thanks moc I had a look around for this agency and there are a few around but I'm yet to find an agency that delivers what they say.

#14 Rachel WDC

Rachel WDC

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

Julia ABM - is your nephew still looking ....he may be able to get on this scheme (see below) this is the employers route but I'm sure research will get him to how to become an apprentice ......also please get him to submit a cv to hr@cpsic.co.uk and I'll see if our admin team could use some help. Mark the email for my attention and mention VN ! www.cpsic.co.uk Best Rachel

We offer apprenticeships in:

Business Administration
Customer Service
Warehouse and Storage

Please click on the following link: http://www.southlond... 14 04 2011.pdf

For more information or visit our website.

#15 JuliaABM

JuliaABM

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

Hi, Rachel

Thank you so much for your post. Sorry, for not spotting it much sooner. I believe my nephew Ben has forwarded his CV and is keeping his fingers crossed! If he were to be successful in gaining experience at CPSIC, I am sure he will not let you down!

Thank you once again and thank you to all the responses here. :)

:) :)