Photo

Lucius - Italian Restaurant

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Let us know what you think?

1. Excellent (8 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

2. Good (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Average (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

This place has a great atmosphere and is a really cosy place to eat. The only problem I have with the food is that with the pizzas, they seem to think that there needs to be a huge amount of topping, especially with mushrooms, where in fact less is more with some ingredients. There is no need to completely cover the pizza surface with any topping. Also chilli oil (proper, not just chopped fresh chilli in oil as Summit Lover mentioned) would be a welcome addition. Having said this I will continue to back as the specials are normally great and they have a good and well priced wine selection.

Decent chilli oil can pep up many meals - love it!

#17 Canon

Canon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

This place may have lost our custom, popped in on Friday night about 7 for a quick drink with Miss Canon, On walking in and asking if we could seat down to have a drink the quite unwelcoming barman said no, we are fully booked. Taken a little bit surprised at his manner considering there was one other couple in and the rest of the tables were empty with no reverse signs on them we asked again in case the English to Polish language barrier was the issue but nope they were fully booked. Ask if we could seat at the bar or take a drink downstairs again nope. Asking then if we could book a table he said yes and gave us a table. 10 minutes later when he didn't bother to ask if we wanted anything we decided to give up and went over to the Gipsy Tavern.

Walking back past at about 9ish still no one in there and the barman looking extremely bored. Shame as when we first started going they were really welcoming. Hope that the barman was just having a bad day.

#18 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Blimey Mr C - agree, they need to re-jig their ideas :(

#19 Chillifiend

Chillifiend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Decent chilli oil can pep up many meals - love it!

It surely does!

#20 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

we had a really nice dinner there - pizzas and pastas - nice wine and lovely service (perhaps a little on the slow side, but then we were not in a hurry)
I agree re the chilli oil though. chopped chillis in oil is not the same as a proper chilli oil for a pizza ..... should be an easy one to resolve!!!
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#21 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

Me and my two friends had a lovely evening at Lucius last weekend. The staff were really nice, helpful and welcoming. We all really liked the decor too. And finally, the food was great. All three of us had marinated octopus and saffron risotto to start... not your average starter in a local Italian restaurant and was a pleasant surprise. Two of us had pizzas which were really tasty. I can recommend the Malbec on the wine list too. It was my first trip but won't be my last... and we got to burn off some of those calories walking back up the hill... which may explain why it wasn't as busy as I'd expected for a Saturday night.

#22 lucyosg

lucyosg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

We really fell in love with Lucius and quickly became regulars - love the decor, atmosphere, the relaxed (sometimes scatty but endearingly so!) waiting staff, nice drinks selection, and good value, really tasty food. We love having Moretti on draft and the veggie plate in particular. That said, with their recent change of approach to the menu, a bit of the sparkle has come off. Don't mind that the prices have gone up a bit because it's still pretty good value (esp given the lovely atmosphere) compared to what you can pay in chainy pizza/pasta places. But we're not so fond of the rotating weekly non-pizza mains menu. It has been really hit and miss and the pasta dishes we have found several times to be generally pretty bland with some strange, not very convincing combinations. On our most recent visit, I tried a cauliflower and anchovy dish, which sounded a bit out there but I'm up for new stuff. And it was really just a non-event. Pretty tasteless with a really watery sauce. All a shame, because it means that unless we both fancy pizzas for a meal out (not always the case) we tend not to go for Lucius. Hopefully they're just going through an experimentation phase with the menu and it will settle down again. We'll be back in a flash!

#23 Hockney

Hockney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

Lovely people who run it, but our pizzas were so SALTY that they were inedible.

#24 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

We went there last night on an improptu visit coming back from work (read: I could not be bother to cook).

The atmosphere is great and the waitress is a gem.

We both ordered pizzas as we did not fancy anything too fancy. However, both pizza were quite "floury" in taste and aspect. It was slightly undercooked. The topping contained an exagerated amount of cheese and the rest of the ingredients were mediocre. It might be better than average as take away but miles away as anything good you expect to eat in a restaurant.

We will go back again to try other dishes apart the pizza menu as they looked good.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#25 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

It's a shame that they can't up their game food wise - particularly in relation to Pizzas. It still seems too hit and miss for us to pay a return visit at present - too much great competition up the hill!

#26 Dimery66

Dimery66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hey, does anyone know what's happening with Lucius. Ominous sign in the window. Have they closed for good?

#27 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

I believe so. They've opened a cafe in Maple Road in Penge that has had very good reviews on here.

#28 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Got that wrong - went into the cafe and enquired today and it's only temporarily closed due to the departure of the chef and may reopen as a bar and/or bistro. Re the cafe, pleasant surroundings (though they need to get that drafty door sorted!) and staff but prices too high for the area - a quiche for £2.90 takeaway became £4.95 - with no salad - if you sat in! To his credit, the lovely manager charged us the former as the leap to the latter was not displayed on the blackboard, which erroneously says 'To take away or to go but lists only one price.

#29 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

I think Lucius could do well as a caf bar kinda thing. A place where you can have a tea and cake in the day and a nice wine or ale in the evening. No major food palaver, just some olives or nice little cold platters (cheese, ham, salami kinda ting) to go with your drink. It would be much cheaper to run (no chef needed and no expensive fresh food to buy in). Its such a lovely little place, I'm sure it would work for those living towards the bottom of Gipsy Hill and can't face walking all the way up if they fancy a drink but don't want to go to a pub. I would surely use it!

Edited by misspoddy, 12 January 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#30 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

It could be an Enoteca ... just sayin.

A nice rustic wine bar (enoteca) not like the posh stuff you get in town - when you can taste Italian wines (biased here) and have some italian nibbles (current writer excluded)

*dreams*

Edited by LSPE, 14 January 2013 - 01:15 PM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!