• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

Some of you know that my wife had a baby about 4 months ago and I wanted to post on a corner of the web somewhere, about my early experiences as a dad, so why not on VN?

The subject came up recently when Ziwa mentioned how ego plays into parents having kids. I can see that to an extent but there is an overwhelming feeling that I've had recently - fulfillment.

It's a funny thing, but Ollie (my 4 month old) is the best stress-ball in the world. All I have to do is pick him up and give him a hug and everything else disappears. He's a big kid (98th percentile in height and weight) so it's also great exercise! He's smiling a lot and giggling and for someone who can't move too far and likes to spit up every now and again, he's actually a lot of fun.

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#2 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

That's so great to hear Matt, and belated congratulations. My son has recently become a dad for the first time and I would never have believed how bonded he has become to his offspring!
aka Pie

#3 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

Congratulations. The best thing I heard, and have since (13 months ago) discovered, is that before, life was black and white and now it's in colour. Enjoy, you should by now be surfacing!

#4 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

I'm nearly 3 years in to fatherhood - and its brilliant. One of the things I like is to resurrect all those toys and pastimes that I lost for a while: kite-flying, jigsaws, games, books etc. Can't wait for the Lego stage!
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#5 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

We have been parents for 25 years, enjoy the young years while you can, and expect to have your heart broken at least once within the first 25 years, Oh, and good luck for the next 25 after that, because being a parent never ends, it just gets harder.

#6 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

Thanks Sylvester and Nico - We went out today and he's such a happy little boy (very different to the first month when he was always cranky and we were just figuring it out).

Elmo I too love the thought of that. Playing with blocks (especially Lego, though I have a soft spot for sticklebricks too), games, puzzles, football... I often wonder what he will make of the cartoons I used to watch (Danger Mouse, Inspector Gadget, Scooby-Doo... and I can't miss out Button Moon, Rainbow and The Sutty and Sweep Show).

Posie - I can only imagine the next 25 years (daunting if I think about it too much), but the first month was really tough. I remember thinking how no-one ever says how tough it is. Almost like other parents keep quiet wait for you to become parents and then tell you what you're in for! Things have got a lot better though. So much fun, but I would appreciate a couple more hours sleep at night!

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#7 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:39 PM

The sleep will return, eventually!! Just wait till they're out far later than they should be, or you have a feeling in your bones that somethings not right, and you get in the car and drive like a mad thing (My latest was picking up the 15 year old and girl friend from the o2 in Brixton just as the trouble was brewing) Aaaaah happy days!!

#8 LizzieC

LizzieC

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

I didn't know you'd become a Daddy (I go out of the loop sometimes) but warmest congratulations. xx

Know just what you mean about the cuddle and all becoming right with the world. Also am totally with you on re-discovering the toys/games of our youth and LOL with your links - although my Sooty and Sweep went way back to the original Harry Corbett (yes, i know my age is showing).

You've got many years of ups and downs ahead of you and we VN'ers hope to be following the fate and fortune of Ollie for a long time to come.