95 replies to this topic

#1 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:13 AM

Hi Everyone,

So I've been wrestling with getting the forum upgraded with security patches and a bit of a new look and some added features. Just got control of the whole thing (I think)

Too many new tweaks to mention as well as some bugs.

The main bugs I have listed are:
1. User images skewed (not sure if I can fix this, they may need to be re-uploaded, sorry)
(Basically before we had avatars and profile pictures and the new update only allowed for 1 picture per profile. So I selected to make everyone's avatar their pic. Also there's an issue with pics being stretched or squashed.
2. VN wiki down
(This always happens after an upgrade and usually takes me a while to fix)
3. Ads being shown to the wrong user groups
(The ad policy was that they were hidden to site sponsors and members with more than 500 posts. I still need to make some tweaks which should get back to this)
4. Side bar shoutbox missing(we didn't have this before, but we did have the status updates which is working)
(Will try and get it back)
5. Galaxy tab browser / VN disfunction
6. Error when using the search box (top right) to search calendar
7. Gallery upload issues

Also please note that if you find things in the right sidebar annoying, you can minimise them by clicking on the "x" at the top right of the section heading.

I know there are a bunch more bugs but if you see anything particularly annoying please post it here and I'll stay on top of it.

Other things to note:
1. New simplified forum guidelines coming soon (Summit Lover has put a lot of effort into this - a public apology I've let this slip but I let's make it happen.
2. You may have noticed that the "elections" forum (sub-forum of local news) has disappeared and has been replaced with a "welcome" forum and this "forum help" forum. Let's try and welcome each new forum member. I'll try and encourage new members to post in their after they register and I think that a really warm welcome makes everyone feel great! Also I home some long time members will introduce themselves too!
The help forum is here for discussion of site features, bugs and for any member questions on how to navigate it. Also this is the forum for questions on how to change passwords, upload pictures etc.

I'll post an update later with all the things I forgot :)

Edited by MattVN, 26 August 2011 - 07:42 AM.
update bug list

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#2 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

Think I like it - bit more funky than what had probably been unchanged for years - think there must have been a bit of paint left over from the White Hart revamp!

#3 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

The site looks great to meThe site looks great to me, but I am having problems adding replies from an android (galaxy tab) system. I have had to copy this into a plain text section. Anyone else having problems?.

#4 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

ChewderOde - I'm gonna merge your thread with the one I already created.
There's a new sub-forum of local news called forum help - I'll send this there now and pin it.

About the colours, do you think it looks a bit washed out or fresh?

#5 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

I really like the new look but haven't had a chance to try out the new features yet ...
aka Pie

#6 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

The site looks great to meThe site looks great to me, but I am having problems adding replies from an android (galaxy tab) system. I have had to copy this into a plain text section. Anyone else having problems?.

Will add it to the bug list SL.

Also VN's homepage is the forum page so a little more interesting/busy.
Some of the original homepage links will return later in the sidebar.

#7 CPAndy

CPAndy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

I like it though maybe a bit washed out for some users with poorer eye sight have you considered a darker alternative theme. I see you have 2 themes but not much difference between them. (Accessibility has always been a bit of a bugbear of mine)

#8 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

Hi, Matt - congratulations on both your new ventures! Am I overlooking something or has the 'mark all content as read' disappeared in the revamp? I don't read all topics and used this to clear them before I next clicked 'show new content'.

#9 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

Ah..... reply function now working on my android device. All looks good so far Matt :)

#10 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

Looks FAB! But I how do you upload photos to your gallery. Am I missing something simple - I can do step one which is the browse bit but where is the step 2 button for upload please?

#11 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:31 PM

I can't seem to change my forum photo either, despite following the instructions and saving the changes..

Although the mod tools are working - ignore my earlier email (it is just that they are in 'shade' until you hover over them).

#12 Janee

Janee

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

I thought I'd logged in to the wrong place! :D
Looks great! :) Thanks for all your hard work!

#13 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

I like it, but I have a small suggestion for a change to keep consistency in format. On the main headings the title of the topic comes first and the name of the most recent poster comes second, but within the forum listing these are reversed. I keep accidently getting the profile of the poster when I mean to be hitting the title to get the most recent post.

#14 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Me too! Also what makes a topic "hot" please

#15 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I like it though maybe a bit washed out for some users with poorer eye sight have you considered a darker alternative theme. I see you have 2 themes but not much difference between them. (Accessibility has always been a bit of a bugbear of mine)

I agree. Will add 1 or 2 other variations and have them as user options. I just noticed that a when you click the multiquote buttons next to each post the text turns white and is unreadable there too. Will add to the list.

Hi, Matt - congratulations on both your new ventures! Am I overlooking something or has the 'mark all content as read' disappeared in the revamp? I don't read all topics and used this to clear them before I next clicked 'show new content'.

Gill it's at the very bottom left of the website 'mark community read':
Posted Image

Looks FAB! But I how do you upload photos to your gallery. Am I missing something simple - I can do step one which is the browse bit but where is the step 2 button for upload please?

There's an 'upload' link toward the top right after you click on the gallery link:
Posted Image

I can't seem to change my forum photo either, despite following the instructions and saving the changes..

Although the mod tools are working - ignore my earlier email (it is just that they are in 'shade' until you hover over them).

The options being in the shade or too white is a problem. Will tweek the colours to make them more visible.
About the forum photo, there may be a few ways to do it, but I did it by clicking on "change" at the top left of my image when I was on my profile page (click your name at the top right of screen, then my profile. Let me know if that helps.
Posted Image

I like it, but I have a small suggestion for a change to keep consistency in format. On the main headings the title of the topic comes first and the name of the most recent poster comes second, but within the forum listing these are reversed. I keep accidently getting the profile of the poster when I mean to be hitting the title to get the most recent post.

I'll look into this Ziwa, I'm not sure what you mean but might when I've taken a closer look at all the links.
I know that when I'm hovering near the title of the thread, if I hover over the author name, the author details pup up and sometimes if I click by accident I go to their profile. Is this what you mean?

Me too! Also what makes a topic "hot" please

It's to do with the number of replies (can't remember how many), I think that this criteria can also be changed.