• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

Also everyone ok with where the simply "reply" button is? I think there was a reply button (not quote/multiquote) in each post before wasn't there?

Yes there was.

It's fine - just a matter of getting used to it.

#32 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

Also everyone ok with where the simply "reply" button is? I think there was a reply button (not quote/multiquote) in each post before wasn't there?

This seems fine - one off the list. Hope your travels go well,

andreas
opposed to taking terrapins.

#33 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:07 AM

Thanks Andreas.

@SL - Are the odd unopened pics still like that for you. I was trying to fix something around the same time as your post so it may have been that. I can't replicate the problem.

@Charlie - I think I fixed the gallery issue. Let me know if it's still not working.

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#34 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

Ok the calendar is back in the sidebar along with the upcoming events.

While I like all the stuff on the right in the sidebar, I understand why some members find it's a bit cluttered.
A feature that's there and was there before the upgrade but never really explained is the minimise block and minimise entire sidebar features.

How blocks work:
Basically the sidebar is made of 'blocks'. Currently the blocks are 'upcoming events', 'august calendar', 'recent topics' and 'recent status updates'. At the top right of each block there is usually a small "x" that can be clicked to hide the block (and clicked again to show it).

Posted Image

The picture above shows two blocks that can each be hidden. The "x" at the top of the sidebar with the black background can be clicked to hide the entire sidebar (which is useful to open up the forum to have more reading space).

Calendar feature
A cool calendar feature is that you can now download events and even subscribe to the entire calendar.

Posted Image
When I click download as iCal it takes the events and puts them into my calendar software and I get to name the calendar. If I subscribe, then when people add events, it automatically synchronises with my computer's calendar (I think that this works for most calendar software on PC+Mac (let me know if it's not working for you.

Composing messages
Something many of you have noticed is when you are writing a post you get to see the edits in real time before you post, and the shortcuts that work in MS Word work here too.

This means that when you highlight a word and select bold, it shows turns bold in the window where you are still writing. The short cuts (including those below) also work:

PC
ctrl+b = bold
ctrl+i = italic
ctrl+u = underline

Mac
command+b = bold
command+i = italic
command+u = underline

Will try and leave more little tips later

#35 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:07 AM

Good to have upcoming events back and in an even better location on the board. Previously it ran along the footer.

Thanks Matt.

#36 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

Good to have upcoming events back and in an even better location on the board. Previously it ran along the footer.

I like it up there too. How's the calendar working out?

#37 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

The number of posts per page seems a lot less than previously so important info can be missed as it only seems to take a few posts now before a new page is created.

Is there anyway of increasing the number of posts per page?

#38 thekraken

thekraken

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

On my iPhone all pictures are now showing as a ?.

#39 norwoodrat

norwoodrat

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

Looks great....Well done!

#40 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

The number of posts per page seems a lot less than previously so important info can be missed as it only seems to take a few posts now before a new page is created.

Is there anyway of increasing the number of posts per page?

It's showing 10 posts (replies) per page (I'm not sure if it was showing more by default last time or if you changed this in your user control panel - I think there's an option in there). Is this what you're meaning or are you talking about number of threads when viewing a forum?

How's the calendar working out?

@Charlie - I was meaning to say how's the gallery working out? I think those bugs have been fixed.

On my iPhone all pictures are now showing as a ?.

Are you using the Tapatalk app or just through the default mobile skin (just through your browser)?

#41 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

Morning Matt,

Re: Photo Gallery

I had another go trying to upload some photos to one of my albums but there doesn't seem to be an icon that you can hit to upload once you have selected the photos throught the browse function.

1. Hit the upload button in the top right hand corner - This works ok
2. Browse - there are 2 browse icons which I assume means you can upload 2 photos at a time? Photos selected and uploaded ok
3. Assume then that you should be able to click on next step 2 " Review and Publish" but you can't click on it (its just text with no function)

Now if that doesn't get you confused on a Sunday morning. :blink:

How's the hurricane?

Reason for edit:

I' ve just noticed that Helski has uploaded some delightful photos of a fridge freezer to the gallery so I have come to the conclusion that it must be either me or my computer that is the problem. I am sure it is all working correctly but thanks for looking into it.

Edited by charlie, 28 August 2011 - 11:12 AM.

#42 thekraken

thekraken

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

Are you using the Tapatalk app or just through the default mobile skin (just through your browser)?

Hi Matt, it happens when I use the default mobile skin. I didn't know that there was a app. I'll give it a try.

#43 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

Hi Matt,

The ability to give a topic a sub-heading has gone - could this be reinstated? It often helps to clarify what the post is about as there is a limited amount of text you can use for the topic title.

#44 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

I've looked into the subtitles that have been taken out of the upgrade and I can't find a way to add them back easily.
Just having the one title has some advantages too (site/server/search/structure) but I can see why they are useful for some threads.

Let's see if we can get by and if I find a way in future I'll try and add it back as an option.

#45 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:09 PM

Dear Jim'll Fix It MattVN,

Please can we have the Upcoming Calendar events date format changed to English format rather American.

Yours Charlie
Age 9 and three quarters