Photo

The Sparrowhawk - 2 Westow Hill, SE19

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this pub? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Please let other members know how you rate this pub

1. Excellent (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

2. Good (12 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Average (7 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

4. Poor (9 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

Just back from the opening - had a lovely evening, the place looks bloomin' great and we were made to feel very welcome.

They are hoping to open tomorrow, but are a bit stymied by being let down by the supplier of the tills :unsure: If they don't arrive tomorrow (as now promised) they may consider trying to open as cash only. Anyway, hopefully open sometime over the weekend.

I wish them well, they have clearly made a huge effort and the transformation from dark and dingy to light and airy looks and feels great.

#2 kibitzer

kibitzer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:54 AM

What was the grub like? any nibbles or samples?

#3 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:33 AM

They are hoping to open tomorrow, but are a bit stymied by being let down by the supplier of the tills :unsure:

http://www.cashpointsystems.co.uk/ to the rescue?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#4 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

What was the grub like? any nibbles or samples?

Not when I was there, although I was quite late in arriving so there may well have been earlier.

#5 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

We went to the opening "bash" early - in fact we were the first to arrive! - and think the place looks great, although a few interesting pictures on the plain walls wouldn't go amiss. Danielle was very welcoming and informative and they are obviously going to try hard to please. Those who like an old-fashioned style pub to drink in are obviously not their target customers (but did those people really drink in the dirty old Hollybush?) Apparently they used to run a restaurant so we look forward to trying their menu soon.

I'm not sure about the kiddie angle as it's quite a small area with not much garden space either, and I wouldn't like to see it taken over by toddlers dashing about. However I am very pleased that some enthusiastic young people are putting faith in the area, not to mention a large chunk of cash. Good on 'em and good luck I say.

This is not a local shop for local people, there's nothing for you here!

I'm local too and please remember we are a varied community with different tastes, all perfectly valid.
aka Pie

#6 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

Just had an email from Danielle (one of the new owners, who is lovely) that they are going to open at 6 tonight. They have the cash registers (very) freshly installed and can process credit cards (although I guess they are very new so bear with them!).

Not sure if they are doing grub yet, but do go along and say hi and have a drink at least :)

#7 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

I was going to press my nose up to the window last night plus a very well worn 15 year old pair of Birkenstocks ;) but when I got up to the Triangle all the lights were off and there was no one at home. What time is last orders nowadays I've lost track.

Edited by charlie, 02 September 2011 - 05:33 PM.

#8 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

I was going to press my nose up to the window last night plus a very well worn 15 year old pair of Birkenstocks ;) but when I got up to the Triangle all the lights were off and there was no one at home. What time is last orders nowadays I've lost track.

They closed 11 last night, I think they still had a lot to do. Sorry to have missed you!

Not sure what their opening hours will be..

#9 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

Just went in for an afterwork pint. Was surprised they let me in as was in my scruffy workgear, but they did (although I politely asked first).
Seems that they have done a nice job and was pretty busy.
Still not sure yet what the pub/ dining ratio will be or whether it will be more of a pub after nine o'clock.
Not sure that it will be my most frequented establishment but I'm sure that it will have its regulars.
Good luck to them!

#10 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

Newly opened, The Sparrowhawk pub - 2 Westow Hill, London SE19 1RX

Twitter: @sparrowhawkpub

Facebook: facebook.com/pages/TheSparrowhawkPub/241109785921652

Please vote to let us know what you think of this pub

#11 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

Ive come to the opinion its the kind of place I'd want to spend a good few minutes doing some serious gurning maneouvers close up to the glass if I was walking past

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

Ive come to the opinion its the kind of place I'd want to spend a good few minutes doing some serious gurning maneouvers close up to the glass if I was walking past

Posted Image At least I would know who Chewie is! Might even gurn back....

#13 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:50 PM

I'm local too and please remember we are a varied community with different tastes, all perfectly valid.

And a varied sense of humour.

#14 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

Went in this evening. Packed. Lots of familiar faces and the vibe was good. The Timothy Taylors was off but the Wandle was on good form. Prices are around the Triangle average. The staff were nice but lacking in confidence, which is fair enough.

I like it, but hey will have to be wary about the place looking a bit cold when the initial buzz wares off. Perhaps serving food will help. All in all, a welcome addition to The Triangle.

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#15 helenloc

helenloc

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:47 PM

Popped in for a drink tonight and the place was buzzing. Think I'm going to like it. Has a different vibe to our other regular haunts - White Hart, G&G and Westow House. Will certainly be back to try the food menu at some point soon. Here's wishing the owners all the best for a prosperous future on their own little corner of our triangle. (not sure that's geometrically correct!)