Photo

The Sparrowhawk - 2 Westow Hill, SE19

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this pub? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Please let other members know how you rate this pub

1. Excellent (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

2. Good (12 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Average (7 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

4. Poor (9 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#196 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

3rd best pub in CP...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#197 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

I think the wine is pretty resonantly priced in the Sparra - good range too.

More expensive than the Spoons granted, although far better wine. On a par mid to lower end with my beloved Grape & Grain too.

#198 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Popped in late saturday night for a few night caps as couldnt be bothered to roll down the hill !

Not a fan of the place but overheard a complaint which nearly made me get of the stool & throw the couple thru the windows !

'I spend a lot of money in here & I had to visit the bar to order my drinks' Rupert in the 1st degree !

Staff are really patient & nice but have come to the realisation its the clientele I abhor with such a passion !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#199 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

LOL ... unfortunately I agree with you (which is rare), we were looking for a place to eat yesterday as the Westowhouse was packed, we walked in and walked out the place as I knew I would have not enjoyed the atmosphere. The place looks great but I prefer to go there when there is a more relaxed environment.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#200 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

It can be very busy - but that it testament to its popularity I guess, unlike its predecessor. There's quite a mixed bag in there, from the Dazzas, Gekkos and SLs to the type that Dazza abhors. They are bringing money to the businesses and the area though, so I'm not complaining.

The Sparra food is lovely, but I agree that it is nicer to eat in there when its less busy.

#201 SockMonkey

SockMonkey

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

It has no atmosphere at all.
And the last time I almost went in, I didn't bother because of the number of prams cluttering the place up and kids everywhere.

#202 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

I guess it depends if you want a family atmosphere. To be honest, I would rather it had a relaxed, adult atomosphere with minimal nippers and no bugaboos cluttering up the area but market forces - especially daytime ones - apparently dictate otherwise. We have had some very pleasant evenings in there though with lovely food and friendly and attentive staff.

#203 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Yep, me too, we've had some grand food and lovely wine and beer there, in a good natured atmosphere, to the point that I'm taking my folks there for lunch on Christmas Eve...

#204 SockMonkey

SockMonkey

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

A relaxed adult atmosphere is fine by me. Sock Monkey is a bit long on the tooth now for loud music and the inability to get a seat :P but that afternoon it really resembled a nursery. All they were missing was Mary Poppins!

But it is still a millionity-billionity times better that it was in its previous incarnation... :)

#205 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

TBH, the one time I've had lunch there, there was only one family with kids, and they were well-behaved. And I think they've lately taken the point about the music, the last time we were there it was off altogether; those high ceiling and hard surfaces mean music is pointless, it just becomes part of a reflected roar that means you can't hear a word your mates are saying, especially the bit in front of the bar (oopsite Wllie Smarts, if you know what I mean). When I booked, I made to sure to ask for a table at the side for me and the 'rents.

But yes, the old Hollybush was just tragic.

#206 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

From Twitter:

The Sparrowhawk Pub ‏@Sparrowhawkpub
CHRISTMAS FAIR THIS FRIDAY!!From 12-6pm there'll be mulled wine and FREE MINCE PIES plus lots of lovely festive goodies to buy!

#207 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Dazza you're description has inspired me to violence in my mind. I suspect you're right on the clientele analysis.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#208 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, that really is pathetic. You're in a pub mate, you go to the bar for your drinks!

Though I remember when I first came to the UK, being really surprised that there wasn't table service in pubs; there is in Ireland, even in the seediest of establishments.

#209 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Actually, I have had table service offered at both the Alma and the Sparra on occasion - very helpful it was too :)

They don't do it as a matter of course though, I guess it depends on busyness etc.

#210 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I think it being offered is one thing but it being demanded is totally different. And I think the demand for it exposes the very issue that makes some people find gastropubs unappealing.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales