Photo

The Sparrowhawk - 2 Westow Hill, SE19

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this pub? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Please let other members know how you rate this pub

1. Excellent (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

2. Good (12 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Average (7 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

4. Poor (9 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

Called in tonight to meet a friend. He had a Stella Black (£4.50) - fair enough. I asked for a pint of orange juice and soda and was given a baby soda made up with an equal amount of orange juice. Not a pint, but no matter. Cost.... £4.00!!!!!' gobsmacking! An absolute shocker of a price. Feel utterly ripped off. Nothing The Sparrowhawk has to offer at present can justify that price! I will be watching!

That's straightforward ridiculous. I undertand that the refurb would have cost quite a bit and they will need to recoup quickly, but these prices are insane!
Gekko, SL, chrissy, how much did you pay for 4 bottles of wine???!!!! :o

#32 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

The prices are prohibitively expensive to be honest. £4.10 for a Guinness is not at all justifiable in SE19.

I wasn;'t planning on popping before but this will ensure that I don't. But I suspect that's probably fine as demographically I suspect I am not their target audience.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#33 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

Its obviously user friendly for kids if you have deep pockets !

Dazza

Yes, yes, we get the picture, it's not your kind of pub. That's ok, the Bell isn't my kind of pub. Luckily we have a selection of different types of pub in the area, with hopefully something to suit everyone.

Also, worth reiterating the use it or lose it Mantra. The Hollybush and Alma wouldn't presumably have closed if they had been well frequented by enough people. The Sparrowhawk isn't as cheap as the Spoons or the Bell, but that won't necessarily put people off (it is a case of each to their own - I recall you saying on VN that you weren't keen on travelodges and preferring 4 Seasons. That's your perogative. I find 4 Seasons too expensive and would prefer to stay at a cheapo b and b or a travelodge. Having the choice is good).

Edited by Summit Lover, 07 September 2011 - 04:29 PM.

#34 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

I know what you mean SL. I really like the look (and name by the way) of the Sparrowhawk and was really looking forward checking out their wine selection, but if a little orange juice is 4 quid, I'm honestly wondering what a glass of wine will be? I was hoping I could have a decent bar at my door step to enjoy a nice glass rather than the usual vinegar served in most pubs, but I find it a bid sad if a nice looking place HAS to come with mad prices. My question about the bottle was actually a genuine question btw. :)

#35 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

To be honest I can't remember the price of our 4 bottles of malbec (we got a bit merry pretty quickly!), but I do remember that we remarked that the bill seemed pretty reasonable for the wine, service and food.

I agree that the prices need to be reasonable and 4 quid for an orange juice and soda seems steep. I think that wine by the glass was standard'ish for an upmarket winebar/pub, but I will double check next time I am there.

Edited by Summit Lover, 07 September 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#36 edgar

edgar

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:22 PM

Although £4 is exorbitant (but that's not what had me awake at 02:11hrs last night), I should add that I think The Sparrowhawk is a venture to be welcomed to Crystal Palace and I wish it every success. Hopefully, the proprietors will take stock and understand that reasonable prices will do much to encourage repeat visits. I wish it the very best, with my beady eye still trained!

#37 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

The Ales were £3.25 so they are about the same as other places.

#38 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

Only last week I was talking to a friend about how long it would take for the £4.00 pint to arrive in CP. Sooner than I expected. Obviously there must be a market for idiots with more money than sense.

Edited by Nork1, 07 September 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#39 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

Only last week I was talking to a friend about how long it would take for the £4.00 pint to arrive in CP. Sooner than I expected. Obviously there must be a market for idiots with more money than sense.

If you want a cheap pint - then probably not the place for you, although having said that, Hemie seems to think the ales are about the same as other places. I realise that is more expensive than, for instance, the Spoons or the Albert, but it provides ambience, comfort and choice of decent wines that I find that those two places don't. That doesn't make me an idiot, it just means that I am happy to spend my money on something that gives me pleasure. Each to their own, simply don't go in there if it doesn't suit you.

#40 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

No, it doesn't suit me and I won't be drinking there. £4 for orange juice an fizzy water? £4.50 for a pint of lager? In my dimension of South London I don't care how comfortable the place is. I refuse to accept 'ambience' as a reason to get ripped off.

#41 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

I may be being slow, but a pub is a business, isn't it? So if they charge you a fortune and it's a complete dive, last renovated for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee then, yes, you're being ripped off. But if they've done a lot more than that, then they will want to recover their costs somehow.

One's not just paying for the liquid in the glass.

Edited by andreas, 07 September 2011 - 09:38 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#42 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:51 PM

Oh come on am I missing something here... £4 for half a bloody pint of orange juice? How ambient does a place have to be to justify that? Ridiculous.

#43 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

Wow £4 for an orange and soda! That's insane. I've yet to try the pub but unless I get treated like a king I'll not be a regular at those prices. This is partly why I moved away from SW London to escape such madness. Pubs in Putney by the river were among the first places I encountered outside the West End that had the gall to charge more than £4 for a pint cos they knew the sloaney muppets wouldn't even notice. I know Crystal Palace is supposedly on the up, whatever that means, but as we slide back into recession, who the hell can afford those prices?

As much as I like to see improvements to our area, and I'll definitely give the Sparrowhawk a try, I have to say my heart sank a little when the Hollybush closed down. I never went there, but I was glad it was there cos it meant that there was a real mix of pubs and bars in the area, catering for all tastes and ages, and I'm sorry I never took the chance to try it out. It would've been the kind of place I'd take my dad for a pint on a Sunday afternoon if he lived locally. But now, apart from The Albert I don't really know of any old style boozers in the area.

Oh well, better start saving my pennies for my first (only?) visit to the Sparrowhawk.

#44 edgar

edgar

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:49 PM

Andreas, I agree absolutely with you that one pays for more than what's in one's glass, but on that premise 4 means a very great deal to have to live up to! And with with a tetrapak pasturised orange juice being the main constituent of a 4 drink then a place is putting an inordinate amount of faith in the quality of its other attractions. A realistic price - or a product equal to 4 in quality - should be the bottom line in ensuring that a customer sticks around to enjoy the wider appeal of an establishment. I do feel a little guilty at seeming so damning about a new business in the area especially as I do genuinely want The Sparrowhawk to be a big success. But to charge such prices a place needs to work very, very hard to convince the customer that he/she has received value for money. Alternatively, a place could make it a little easier on itself!

#45 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:17 AM

Fair points everyone ... Personally I'd be quite outraged at being charged £4 for an orange and soda, unless I was on the Piazza San Marco (and even then...). Looks as if the pub may need to look more closely at its pricing policies - though there is the terrible thought at the back of my mind too that perhaps they are working on the premise that a lot of their intended clientele won't even notice...

Edited by andreas, 08 September 2011 - 05:17 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.