Photo

The Sparrowhawk - 2 Westow Hill, SE19

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this pub? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Please let other members know how you rate this pub

1. Excellent (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

2. Good (12 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Average (7 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

4. Poor (9 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

What's your point? They're restaurants. The Sparrowhawk advertises itself as a pub. I don't go to a restaurant just for a drink.

Take your point, but I would choose to go to the Sparrowhawk, G&G or Numidie Bar for a drink or two over any other pub/bar in the area. No food required :)

#62 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

Presumably those snipers who will not be entering the Sparrowhawk portals don't use the restaurants on the triangle which charge considerably more than your average pub for drinks - I'm thinking Joanna's, Mediterranea, Exhibition Rooms etc?

Strange analogy but ho hum.

So do you think chargin £4 for a pint in CP is a good thing?

#63 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

Strange analogy but ho hum.

So do you think chargin £4 for a pint in CP is a good thing?

Can't speak for Sylvester, but in an ideal world I would like to have the surroundings and choice of wines the Sparrowhawk with the prices of the Spoons! That ain't going to happen, so I will pay more for what gives me pleasure.

I can see why you want more places to have cheaper pints - the more they are used the more likely it is that they will succeed long term. Sadly the Hollybush wasn't popular in recent years despite it's cheaper pints, I can't see the Spoons, the Albert or the Bell going that way - as long as people support them. Market forces and all that..

#64 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

I can see why you want more places to have cheaper pints - the more they are used the more likely it is that they will succeed long term.

SL I think you are missing the jist of the argument . These nothing in the Sparra to justify rip off prices for pints. It’s nothing more than what most would consider want an average pub is these days ( yes its had a nice spruce up and is nothing like the previous pub but that is not the issue). The vast vast majority of people I know who fall into the clientele this pub is aiming for will & do find £4 pint an absolute rip off.

We all know pubs are closing at an alarming rate and pubs like the Holly Bush are largely on their last legs. Most would welcome a new pub in new surrounds but if they start charging outrageous prices for a pint its only going to put off people going to pub further.

I hope they come to realise they have aimed their prices a tad to high and see some sense and I would hope other pubs on the triangle on seeing the £4 mark broken don’t start ramping up their prices ( and I don’t mean the Spoon and the Albert- Catchy name for a pub BTW ;) )

#65 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

SL I think you are missing the jist of the argument . These nothing in the Sparra to justify rip off prices for pints. It’s nothing more than what most would consider want an average pub is these days ( yes its had a nice spruce up and is nothing like they woe previous pub but that is not the issue). The vast vast majority of people I know who fall into the clientele this pub is aiming for will & do find £4 pint an absolute rip off....

I take your point, but maybe take mine as well? I prefer the feel of the Sparrowhawk, the decor etc. to, for instance, the Alma (as was), the White Hart, Westow House, the Black Sheep etc. etc. I have never liked the wines they sell in those places - and I am not looking for a cheap pint. Different market. I don't think that the place is marketing itself as somewhere to go and have a long session drinking relatively expensive lager - although their ales are apparently competitively priced according to Hermit (wouldn't know, don't drink ale or lager). If they are, then yes - they may well run into problems.

If people don't like the place they won't go in there, I don't go into some pubs that have cheap beer in CP as I don't like the places. If people think it too pricey they won't go in there. If people like the place and are comfortable with the prices they will. Live and let live?

Nb - I can't see the Albert and the Spoons ramping up their prices, can you? As long as punters support them they will continue to be successful. The Hollybush tells it's own story sadly... Did the Spoons and the Albert ramp up their prices when the White Hart opened?

Edited by Summit Lover, 08 September 2011 - 02:18 PM.

#66 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

It will blend in with the rest of the place in a few months time i am sure of that ! All pubs sorry bars get the gold rush syndrome when 1st opened but If your prices are to high people only go to these establishments as a treat rather than being a regular visitor.

If thats their target audience then good luck to them !

Dazza

Edited by Dazza, 08 September 2011 - 02:45 PM.

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#67 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

It will blend in with the rest of the place in a few months time i am sure of that ! All pubs sorry bars get the gold rush syndrome when 1st opened but If your prices are to high people only go to these establishments as a treat rather than being a regular visitor.

If thats their target audience then good luck to them !

Dazza

I think it's safe to say that they aren't trying to be another Bell, but yes, hopefully they will blend in nicely. Pleased to see you wish them luck :)

#68 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

Btw I wish them luck as well. (coughs) Just for the record. I can't promise to be contributing to any of their luck though.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#69 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

Btw I wish them luck as well. (coughs) Just for the record. I can't promise to be contributing to any of their luck though.

Ah! The will 'o the whisp! Posted Image

Tell you what, I'll stand you a pint in the Sparra just to assure myself that you exist?

#70 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

Uncle Wilf is an apparition. A collective hallucination. An enigma...
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#71 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

I know it.... but sadly he doesn't Posted Image

#72 sm19

sm19

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

To be honest i was going to moan about the stupid £4.50 for a pint of Staropramen or the £3.. yes £3 for a soda water and piece of fresh lime.

But instead I welcome a new corner to the triangle... its not a pub... its prob a bit to trendy for CP but who really cares. The Hollybush was dark and outdated.. this place is light and fresh.

The one thing it lacks is 2 people seating, there are far to many big 6 place tables. Which get taken up by couples... Why so many? your never really going to really get 3 x 2 people who dont know each other to sit shoulder to shoulder for a drink!

It was busy on opening day but lots of talk of over inflated prices...

Might pop in again once the ££ calm down... especially the fizzy water!!

#73 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

The one thing it lacks is 2 people seating, there are far to many big 6 place tables. Which get taken up by couples... Why so many? your never really going to really get 3 x 2 people who dont know each other to sit shoulder to shoulder for a drink!

Yes I had the same thought re. seating and I thought the best thing they could do if they want to attract 'pub goers' as well as 'restaurant goers' would be to take out the big table(s) to the left of the bar and provide more, smaller tables. At the same time perhaps reduce the drinks prices for people just drinking and ordering from the bar and if they like, keep the premium prices (or lower price plus service charge) for people who are eating and benefiting from table service.

#74 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

Good points re tables and pricing.

#75 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:55 AM

One day I shall reveal myself (not in a trenchcoat kind of way you understand). Uncle Wilf shall be made known. (coughs) That sounded a bit mystical didn't it.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales