• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mark G

Mark G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

I noticed a distinct increase in the number of planes passing over Crystal Palace on Tuesday 30th August and throughout last week, although the numbers seem to have eased off this weekend. Has anyone else noticed? Any ideas about how to monitor this properly and take action accordingly?

#2 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

I doubt there's been an increase in the number of flights into Heathrow - it's constantly running at 99% capacity. There are set flight paths to and from the major airports - wind direction determines which ones are used.
Have a play with http://casper.fronti.../?location=egkk - you can replay (and speed up!) what's come in and out of Heathrow on specific dates... arrivals into Heathrow were overflying CP on the day you mentioned (departures are usually the ones that make the noise). You can also use http://webtrak.bksv.com/lhr to monitor flights in and out of Heathrow and if necessary make a complaint.
What you probably heard was traffic into London City although I'd be surprised if the noise levels were anything to complain about - they're restricted as to what size aircraft can operate there.

Anorak off.

Edited by Nork1, 04 September 2011 - 11:38 AM.

#3 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

The planes come and go, with what seems like an almost random choce of route.

Most common is for the planes to circle round the transmitters - sometimes close to the Triangle, sometimes further away, before locking in to the flightpath into Heathrow.

When the wind is in the east, there are bursts of planes taking off over the area; these are the loudest noises of all, although short-lived.

Since a week in Windsor last autumn, I realise that aircraft noise here is nothing in comparison. And another poster put it well when s/he said that it is all part of living in one of the world's great cities. Also, the new jets are a lot quieter than the 747s.

Moreover, much as I loved the calm during the Iceland Volcanic eruption, I don't think there is any action at all we could take which would make any difference. Apart from, I suppose, collectively deciding to fly less often.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#4 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

If it gets this bad, write to your MP.

Posted Image

#5 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

I'm quite used to the fact every month for a weekend or so we seem to be right under the flight path... just part-the-parcel of being in London I suppose.
You get used to it to the point it really doesn't phase us atall...
Its always been like this (i'm rather a local of 37 years) from how I can remember...
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#6 Mark G

Mark G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the replies and in particular to Nork1. I look forward to playing with the Casper website . . .

#7 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

I'm quite used to the fact every month for a weekend or so we seem to be right under the flight path... just part-the-parcel of being in London I suppose.
You get used to it to the point it really doesn't phase us atall...
Its always been like this (i'm rather a local of 37 years) from how I can remember...

Probably because most of the time the crap weather/wind comes from the west but on the odd occasion when it's decent the weather/wind's coming from the east/south east. Planes have to land/take off against the wind so you'll notice the noise more on clear days from planes that have just taken off from Heathrow roaring over us at full power. All other times they're not as loud as they're heading west to land and throttled back.