• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 curlymop

curlymop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

Hi, we have just bought a flat in West Norwood and it seems to have fleas. We have been hoovering like crazy and spraying flea spray but it won't go away, even though our cat is regularly treated, they seem to be surviving and are biting us. We are realising that we may have to get someone in to spray the flat. Has anyone had this done in the area and can recommend someone for us? We have googled pest control but so many come up that we'd prefer to use a recommendation if possible.

Thanks for your help!

#2 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

May I ask where the bites are located on you? I would think that if they are mostly on the lower leg area then yes, cat fleas, but if they seem to be all over, then maybe it's bed bugs, which could have been living in the carpets? Have you used frontline on Puss, we swear by it BUT this last few months we seem to be getting more fleas off our cat than usual, we also had a good spray from the vets for the house, very expensive but really worked!!

#3 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

Posie, our fleas became immune to Frontline and upon the vet's recommendation moved to using Advocate. Apparently (please don't quote me on this) Frontline may have changed it's strength and thus effectiveness. I complained a number of times to our vet as we very much like to keep a flea free cat and home but they rubbished the thought that Frontline wasn't working. But then as the complaints from other customers stacked up over a 6 month period they had to admit they were having problems with Frontline. This came at the cost of our cat getting a flea bite allergy, us getting a few bites and having to spray the house in a few can's of super effective RIP extra strength flea spray (bought cheaper online than through the vet), wash all our bedding, electric blankets, etc....you get the drift! Since we moved over to Advocate we've had no problems but flip it's strong!!!

Good luck curlymop with riding your home of fleas or bedbugs....not a nice experience at all. Ps: You do know to empty the vaccum cleaner bag and thoroughly clean the vaccum cleaner afterwards don't you, otherwise they just happily hang out in there.

Edited by Molly, 05 September 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#4 curlymop

curlymop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

We've just been using the dop on flea stuff on his neck, but I've booked him in at the vets on Wednesday for a flea injection because we are not sure if that may work better, although we have only been using Bob Martin drop on. Is the Advocate an injection or a drop on liquid? I may go for that instead, it sounds fantastic. It's definitely interesting to hear Frontline may not be so strong anymore. We just want to get rid of them, he's never had them before and as we only moved in 4 weeks ago he hasn't been outside yet (he tends to stray) so I think they may have already been there... we're being bitten only on the ankles and we've seen fleas, although not on the cat, the spray makes them slower so easier to catch but doesn't seem to be killing them off unfortunately. The quotes are coming in at £195+VAT for 1 visit and some are saying they may need 2 which seems quite steep!!

Thanks for all your help.

#5 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

We went to Pets at home last month and, in an attempt to save some money, bought their own branded version of Frontline, called Fiprolene. Same ingredient, same strength as Frontline. Useless. We have a new puppy now so Advocate all the way in our house now - we have chickens, so fleas and mites are potentially a big problem for us - and for some reason, more so this yr than ever before. Advocate eradicates fleas and mites. You will also need the industrial strength house spray from your vets too, as mentioned, to get rid of all the fleas and any eggs they have laid, in your home, and wash all your bed linen etc. Dont waste your money on any Bob Martin products, it just isnt worth it in the long run.

I cant remember the name of the spray, but it cost £27, which seems a lot for a spray, but cheaper than getting pest control out. Advocate is a drop on liquid that comes in a pipette, there may be an injection version, not sure. Good luck!

Edited by moc, 05 September 2011 - 01:27 PM.

Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#6 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

I've recently had a problem with bed bugs and have had to call in the professionals. I used a company called Bug Thugs who were efficient, thorough and offered lots of useful advice. They also deal with fleas so it might be worth contacting them:

http://www.bugthugs.co.uk/

I've no idea what treatments are involved in eradicating fleas but as a rough guide I paid £145+VAT for the bed bug treatment which included an initial spray in the bedroom and a more expensive treatment 10 days later.

Hope you get it sorted soon, I can sympathise with all the itching and bites.... so horrible!

#7 curlymop

curlymop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

Thanks everyone!! We ended up calling Colin from K&O Pest Control on recommendations from others and they were incredibly helpful - £90 for 2 visits, cheaper than anyone else. http://www.kandopestcontrol.co.uk/

However, on forum recommendations people said buy Indorex spray - we ordered some from here

http://www.vetuk.co....500ml-can-p-677 and used it the other night - we haven't seen a single alive flea, all dead. It stays on the carpets for 12 months and kills any eggs that hatch as well. All the reviews online were fantastic but I thought it was too good to be true, but it actually works, incredibly. Teamed with a lot of hoovering to wake up the eggs, as they hatch from vibrations. I sound like I work for them, I promise I don't, just so happy to be without fleas finally!!!! We cancelled Colin who was very lovely about it.

Our vet also put Advocate spot on on our cat and gave us a prescription for 12 months supply (prescription cost £5 from Brockwell Vets) and so we can buy it online from VetUk with this prescription for half the price. Brilliant. Thanks for the advice on Frontline vs Advocate.

#8 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

That's the flea spray we bought from our vets, for £20 more than you paid! :blink: Glad it is all sorted now.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage