34 replies to this topic

#1 basti

basti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

Hello all virtual Norwoodians

I need your advice please? We have accepted an offer for a house in the above area and are generally excited, but as we don't really know the area are also a little apprehensive, as there seem to be some challenges? We spoke to one of those community officers (or whatever they are called) during the Norwood car free day, who mentioned a large group of teenagers hanging around Gipsy Hill/Rommany Road, but otherwise seemed positive. Reading through this forum leaves me with mixed emotions. We have a young child who would attend Kingswood school, which has a great score on ofsted, but is there a healthy mix of pupils? Can you walk home after work care free? has the area improved, stagnated, or declined? we don't really know many people here and those who have heard or experienced the place seem bias.

Please be blunt

#2 aliangel

aliangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

It's both stagnated & very dangerous here. Please don't move here. For the sake of you & your offspring move elsewhere. My thriving, intelligent SE19 6 yr old would probably consider you a 'numpty' for the majority of the content of your post. Good luck with the house hunt.

#3 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:56 AM

I am not able to speak for W Norwood but as an Upper Norwood resident of over 20 years I don't think the crime rate is any worse than most other parts of greater London - you just keep your wits about you and you are generally ok. I have felt safe in and around Upper Norwood and that is part of the reason I am still here. The area feels more on the up than stagnating which works for me.

Good luck with the move :)

#4 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:12 AM

I agree with Summit Lover. And as always, the best thing to do when considering moving somewhere is to visit it at different times of the day, have a walk about, get a feel for the area. All the best with the house hunting.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#5 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

We moved to the area because its got a great sense of community compared to a lot of London. This community forum in particular puts you in touch with lots of people who care about the area and who actually get out there and do something about it. The area has got great history, fantastic green spaces, good connections to downtown, improving business profile, great restaurants. So welcome!

(BTW I don't get aliangel's post - it might have been meant to be ironic but it reads like a troll, and s/he has never posted before. We don't get too much of that on this site, so don't pay it much mind)

#6 MrsCunningham

MrsCunningham

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

Can you name anywhere in London where you dont have groups of teenagers, walk home carefree after work....

West Norwood has some brilliant points and some downsides [I have a group of alcholics across the road shouting as I speak...not teenagers - who arent all bad btw, just bored as I was a kid..]

I know people who have been mugged in Hampstead, and Crouch End etc...my sister lives in a small village in kent, it has a very open drug dealing problem....Its London. You keep your wits about you. I used to live in Ealing, I must say, I wouldnt live there now after living here.

Ive been here 5 years, I live across the road from a large, once problematic estate. But i wouldnt live anywhere else now. Great for the city, & town, things are changing for the better.

Move in and be happy.

[I dont get aliangles post either?]

#7 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

Dulwich / West Norwood / Gipsy Hill, that's quite a wide spread area actually... I live off Gipsy Hill, close to the triangle and, call me a snob, but I don't really venture down the hill much. So same as SL, I couldn't say much about West Norwood. Personally there isn't much that attracts me to that part of Norwood and I wouldn't want to move there either. But even if I had a million to spend on a house, I wouldn't leave Crystal Palace! ... Would get a bigger house though :) . It's the best neighbourhood ever, lots of lovely restaurants and bars, a big Supermarket and some funky shops. What is there not love? As for safety, well it's still London....

#8 basti

basti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

thank you all so far, great to read.

actually it is down the hill where misspoddy wouldn't live...:) But up the hill is not so far either and perhaps the paxton will be nice enough to warrent the trip?

ziwa your point about people actually caring by getting involved is very true and a great sign - i would want to also.
kingswood seems a fantastic school, very happy we are moving in, hopefully not next to mrs cunningham's neighbours.

aliangel, it sounds as though your son and my daughter would get on well

see you maybe soon. more comments are much appreciated.

#9 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

A big warm VN welcome to the basti & aliangel:

Posted Image

#10 aliangel

aliangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

Of course it was ironic!

I found it strange that Basti would ask people who care so much about the area that they live in that they contribute to an online forum, whether the area was stagnating, declining or unsafe!

I'd suggest spending time in an area you are moving to before committing to living there. One person's cool urban location is another's ghetto.

I may not have contributed to this forum before but I have read it regularly over the past 5 years or so and have been happily resident in Crystal Palace for the last 10 years.

Feel free to pay no attention to my posts by all means.

Oh and thanks Citizen M!

#11 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

Of course it was ironic!

I found it strange that Basti would ask people who care so much about the area that they live in that they contribute to an online forum, whether the area was stagnating, declining or unsafe!

I'd suggest spending time in an area you are moving to before committing to living there. One person's cool urban location is another's ghetto.

I may not have contributed to this forum before but I have read it regularly over the past 5 years or so and have been happily resident in Crystal Palace for the last 10 years.

Feel free to pay no attention to my posts by all means.

Oh and thanks Citizen M!

I think that it is a reasonable question to ask on a local forum, not all are enamoured of the area (not me I hasten to add, I love living in CP).

Anyway, as the Citizen said, welcome both to posting on VN, we hope to see more of you on the boards :)

#12 domwah

domwah

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

I've sort of liked living in the area for the past 6 years or so. I moved up here from Dulwich Village originally where I was last renting, before buying a little flat in Upper Norwood. Now I live on the other side of the Triangle off College Road.
When I moved here I was single, but now I'm married with a baby. My thoughts from the perspective of the former me, are that its a place to enjoy the treats of life, such as dining out and drinking. On the recent me, I am concerned about my daughter growing up in this area because of the possible negative influences of some residents of the area. That said, I grew up in the Kent 'burbs, where it wasnt all ginger beer and hockey sticks. Quite frankly, the idiots in society aren't all holed up in the cities! So it's a tough choice. I find myself longing for more green open space and less of the cretinous london lingo (you gets me blud?), but then again there's plenty green space in south london, and you can find that idiot accent/lingo in the depths of Kent. So again, its a tough choice.
If anyone wants a large 3 bed flat for 250k, you'll assist our move to Chislehurst no end. You get me?

#13 Canon

Canon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

Moved to Gipsy Hill in March of last year, having lived in Balham previously and its the best decision we've made. Nice sense of community, good range of bars and restaurants up the hill. Good transport links. What's not to like

#14 superal11

superal11

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

As an inhabitant of “Wild” West Norwood I can tell you that there is no better place to live if you want value for money on houses (compared to the Palace/Dulwich areas) and transport to central London. We do lack a posh boozer or two although Knowles of Norwood is on the way. Having said that The Hope and The Horns are fine for a pint, after work. The local Curry house looks to be opening soon and we’re (hopefully) getting a brand new Leisure Centre with gyms and swimming pool!

In my second spell in the area I’ve found a real increase in community spirit – perhaps that’s because as I get older I look for these things but in general people are very friendly. There is a wonderful “West Norwood Feast” that takes place the first Sunday of the month where the local community gets together for a giant street market – it’s very well organized and well worth a visit for the food alone!

The council don’t seem to want to help the area much financially and seem overly keen on allowing as many jerk chicken outlets as possible and its latest craze, money shops are also less than inspiring to a high street in need of some help but where Lambeth council has failed, the community (including some local council members I hasten to add) have succeeded in breathing life into the area.

It’s not all sweetness and light and there are a few scum bags around but in no greater quantity than any other inner city area. Dulwich village it aint but it’s home and it’ll do for me!

#15 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

Hi Basti

Sound like you are looking around my patch (I live on Gipsy Road having bought a house there 6 years ago and having lived on Gipsy Hill for 8 years before that. My daughter also goes to Kingswood .

In answer to your questions:

Like any bit of South London the GH,WN,ED triangle has its fair share of social issues , not least because of it is very mixed economically and ethnically. It isn't and never will be a slice of ultra safe conservaitive suburbia (if you want that then you need to move to Beckenham, Park Langley or Hayes.) But therein lies both its beauty and its beast.

Yes there is a bit of street crime and burglary and, very occassionally drug related gun crime but these are exceptions not rules. In the 14 years I have lived here I have never been mugged , never been burgled and never felt threatened and I am by no means tough. I have come and gone to and from home very late at night and early morning looking like a prime Target (employed, suited and carrying a bag) but so far so no trouble. I. Know some who have had their bag snatched or been mugged but statistically among my group of friends this is rare.

I would also say that the area is a little rough round the edges in places with well maintained owned homes worrying side by side with less well kempt HA or local authority ones but again that is an oversimplification.

A wander down to Gipsy Road shops kind of tells you the mix. Three smart restaraunts (Indian dinning club, mangostreen and luigis opposite a smart pub mixing it with a cafe (great) s fried chicken shop and a costcutter kind of gives the flavour

And for all the rough bits and bits of crime you have:

Kingswood school a great , socially mixed school with commited parents from all strata of society and strong leadership imposing an ethos of fairness, learning and achievement. Basically in 5 years it has gone from the school you wanted to avoid to the "in the catchment area" selling point beloved of estate agents. I could not recommend it more highly. Moreover the other two schools in the federation are of similar quality

25 minute train routes to Victoria London Bridge and City Thameslink (with one change) plus the Number 3 and Number 2 night buses

A great and undervalued park in Norwood Park and easy access to Dulwich Park

Good but busy Gp practice at Paxton

Useful shops in WN , nothing fancy but a good fishmonger stands out plus the bus garage provides more transport options

Easy access to Dulwich Park and some pleasant shops on Croxstead Road (gastronomia sticks out and the. Garden centre is decent

Lambeth Council - not the greatest but the library WN is good , they have a decent recycling any green waste service.

Negatives ?

Bit of crime, some challenging social issues and challenging locals , regarded as Upper Norwoods poor cousin but then that is just snobbery and that lot basically live in dreary outer Croydon not cool an edgy urban Lambeth. : )

Hope that helps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: area, crime, help