34 replies to this topic

#16 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

And for all the rough bits and bits of crime you have:

Kingswood school a great , socially mixed school with commited parents from all strata of society and strong leadership imposing an ethos of fairness, learning and achievement. Basically in 5 years it has gone from the school you wanted to avoid to the "in the catchment area" selling point beloved of estate agents. I could not recommend it more highly. Moreover the other two schools in the federation are of similar quality

Now I know where to go for all my rough bits and crime :D

#17 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

Now I know where to go for all my rough bits and crime :D

:lol:

As for Beckenham - it used to be the place to aim for quite some years ago but I am not sure that's the case any more. I stopped going out there at night quite some years ago because of anti-social behaviour in the streets/bars/buses - I feel a lot safer in CP.

#18 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

Bleedin pedants : )

#19 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hi Basti

Sound like you are looking around my patch (I live on Gipsy Road having bought a house there 6 years ago and having lived on Gipsy Hill for 8 years before that. My daughter also goes to Kingswood .

In answer to your questions:

Like any bit of South London the GH,WN,ED triangle has its fair share of social issues , not least because of it is very mixed economically and ethnically. It isn't and never will be a slice of ultra safe conservaitive suburbia (if you want that then you need to move to Beckenham, Park Langley or Hayes.) But therein lies both its beauty and its beast.

Yes there is a bit of street crime and burglary and, very occassionally drug related gun crime but these are exceptions not rules. In the 14 years I have lived here I have never been mugged , never been burgled and never felt threatened and I am by no means tough. I have come and gone to and from home very late at night and early morning looking like a prime Target (employed, suited and carrying a bag) but so far so no trouble. I. Know some who have had their bag snatched or been mugged but statistically among my group of friends this is rare.

I would also say that the area is a little rough round the edges in places with well maintained owned homes worrying side by side with less well kempt HA or local authority ones but again that is an oversimplification.

A wander down to Gipsy Road shops kind of tells you the mix. Three smart restaraunts (Indian dinning club, mangostreen and luigis opposite a smart pub mixing it with a cafe (great) s fried chicken shop and a costcutter kind of gives the flavour

And for all the rough bits and bits of crime you have:

Kingswood school a great , socially mixed school with commited parents from all strata of society and strong leadership imposing an ethos of fairness, learning and achievement. Basically in 5 years it has gone from the school you wanted to avoid to the "in the catchment area" selling point beloved of estate agents. I could not recommend it more highly. Moreover the other two schools in the federation are of similar quality

25 minute train routes to Victoria London Bridge and City Thameslink (with one change) plus the Number 3 and Number 2 night buses

A great and undervalued park in Norwood Park and easy access to Dulwich Park

Good but busy Gp practice at Paxton

Useful shops in WN , nothing fancy but a good fishmonger stands out plus the bus garage provides more transport options

Easy access to Dulwich Park and some pleasant shops on Croxstead Road (gastronomia sticks out and the. Garden centre is decent

Lambeth Council - not the greatest but the library WN is good , they have a decent recycling any green waste service.

Negatives ?

Bit of crime, some challenging social issues and challenging locals , regarded as Upper Norwoods poor cousin but then that is just snobbery and that lot basically live in dreary outer Croydon not cool an edgy urban Lambeth. : )

Hope that helps

Great post jamesl! I moved to lower Gipsy Hill in 1996 and lived there very happily (never being burgled, mugged or threatened) for 8 years and made some excellent friends during that time and even met the other half. We now live in "dreary" outer Croydon :o not cool and edgy urban "Southwark" ;) ( the joys of the five borough boundaries) having moved over the hill in 2004 and the same stands. I love the whole area - it's a fantastic place to discover and caters for everyone. There is a good and growing sense of community which I hope will continue. The only thing I really miss is the excellent Paxton Green GP surgery which knocks spots of the Auckland Road surgery. Looking forward to the reincarnation of the Mansion which was a top pub!

Reason for edit: There is a great community which is growing.

Edited by charlie, 20 September 2011 - 10:23 PM.

#20 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

Ooh, have to defend Auckland Rd surgery. I've been attached to both too, and have the opposite view. Well, I wouldn't say Auckland Rd knocks spots off Paxton Green - they're both very good - but I prefer the smaller, calmer atmosphere and speed of getting an appointment at AR. But I do have fond memories of dear Dr Rosenberg at PG, now retired I think, who cared for me during pregnancy.

#21 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

Any GP Surgery that can "knocks spots off" gets my vote - now that would be a bonus - measles, chickenpox, spots in general.................... I think we all have very different experiences of GPs depending on who you see, what your ailment is, speed of response, getting an appointment etc. One of the things I prefered about Paxton was that it was linked to Southwark and Lambeth PCTs which meant that you could see a consultant at Kings and ST Thomas whereas Auckland Road surgery is linked to Croydon which means a visit to Mayday which fills me with dread. However, I think that may have changed in recent years with more "consumer" choice about where you get your treatment from.

It's all very subjective.

But back to lower Gipsy Hill - Mangosteen is a real plus and Kingswood School do a fantstic summer fete! Wouldn't necessarily agree that it is Upper Norwood's poor cousin. As far as areas go it's no different from the rest of the CP Republic.

#22 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

Paxton was that it was linked to Southwark and Lambeth PCTs which meant that you could see a consultant at Kings and ST Thomas whereas Auckland Road surgery is linked to Croydon which means a visit to Mayday which fills me with dread.

When Gipsy Hill moves into the new Streatham and Tooting constituency will residents' healthcare be shared between Lambeth and Wandsworth seeing as how they'll no longer be part of the Southwark constituency? Mind you, the Royal Hospital in Chelsea might make a pleasant change of scene and of course there's my personal fave:

Posted Image

http://www.nhs.uk/Se...w.aspx?id=RQY01

#23 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

The move to a new parliamentary constituncey will have no impact on which PCT covers Gipsy Hill ward or which Council covers it . It is purely a change in parliamentary representation, albeit that I dread the idea of my constituency MP trying to influence four different boroughs (which is I think what the new constiuency would cover in terms of the make up of council wards)

and back onto why the GH/WN/WD triangle is a good place to live I concur with the comemnts about a strong and active community - the parents associations of all three schools in the Kingswood federation are very active and each of the school fetes are well supported by parents and local businesses.

The freinds of Norwood park did a great job in getting funding and the new playground built and the volunteers who built the country trail are very dedicated

The Nowrrod action group appaers very active and the parents group which pushed for the opening of Elm Green Secondary were really successful

As for stagnation - I think the opposite. The master plan for West Norwood in particular looks encouraging

http://www.lambeth.g...dMasterplan.htm

#24 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

%20http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_krq4prPUc81qz5q5oo1_400.jpg

http://www.nhs.uk/Se...w.aspx?id=RQY01

Snort! Snort! Coffee expelled on screen with mirth!!

#25 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

Snort! Snort! Coffee expelled on screen with mirth!!

At least you got it Z!

And, for the record, of course the move to a new parliamentary constituncey will have no impact on which PCT covers Gipsy Hill ward or which Council covers it and there really is a hospital called Springfield in Balham but it doesn't offer "quality care or free autopsy"

#26 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

I have a friend who is moving from Balham to Gipsy Hill & bearing in mind she's giving up direct access to the Tube and all the glittering delights Balham has to offer (Waitrose....), the proximity of the Triangle bars and shops was a big selling point for her (have not yet broken to her the news that Los Toreros, which she particularly liked, is closing...)

In addition, the West Norwood shops are close by enough for convenience, the Rosendale is 10 mins walk away. I don't think the shops in GH themselves were a massive deciding factor for her, as she was already sold on the Triangle, but there are enough 'useful' shops there to get your essentials, and potentially when the Paxton re-opens, a really nice pub there too.

My one reservation would be that if she was round at my house in the evening or I was at hers, I wouldn't really want to do the walk in between on my own late at night (I live near Knights Hill) - probably my paranoia but just a bit lonely on that stretch past the top of Auckland Hill and the former Gipsy Tavern.

Aside from that, as others have said, just the same awareness of risk as I'd have anywhere in London. I love it herye - so much green and open space, and somehow it feels like 'home' in a way other parts of London never have!

#27 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

Yes, that is one of the few downsides around here - those long stretches of leafy quiet roads. Charming by day, rather sinister by night. If I'm really late coming home, I tend to walk right on the edge of the pavement or even in the road itself (facing the oncoming traffic). Fingers crossed, nothing's ever come close to happening to me in the past ten years, but things do occur, so one mustn't be complacent.

We went to the Red House at Bexleyheath today. A lovely drive (about 45 minutes) through outer suburbia - Beckenham, Eden Park, Chislehurst, Sidcup. Nice places. And if you like William Morris and Arts and Crafts, the house is well worth a visit, a beautiful garden too, apples ripening, pink flowers of autumn in the beds.

Nevertheless, I'd find it very hard to leave the Palace... it's just an amazing mix of London meets suburbia - here you really can have it both ways, if you see what I mean.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#28 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

Andreas has summed up what it means to live here quite well... Sad to be leaving :(
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#29 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

You're only just down the road, Elmo... And Elmer's End does have one of my favourite shop names, Cake Expectations, at No.118 Croydon Road...

http://www.cakeexpec...nslondon.co.uk/

Edited by andreas, 22 September 2011 - 09:01 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#30 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Ooh, have to defend Auckland Rd surgery. I've been attached to both too, and have the opposite view. Well, I wouldn't say Auckland Rd knocks spots off Paxton Green - they're both very good - but I prefer the smaller, calmer atmosphere and speed of getting an appointment at AR. But I do have fond memories of dear Dr Rosenberg at PG, now retired I think, who cared for me during pregnancy.

Me too ... been a patient of Auckland Surgery for the past 16 years and very happy with their service. I never have a problem getting an appointment. However I am fortunate in not needing one very often.

Edited by Sylvester, 22 September 2011 - 05:02 PM.

aka Pie

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: area, crime, help