• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 basti

basti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

Hi Everyone - really grateful for your insightful comments and cant wait to get the keys!! thank you very much. Interesting to read that so many travelled from Balham , which is what we are doing. Whilst it is a great place to live, i do miss some kind of community, which you seem to have. Hopefully i will bump into some of you over time...

thanks again

#32 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

Hi Basti, and welcome to the area.
I'm also a Wild West Norwoodian - have been for nearly 15 years - and although there are things I would change about the area, I would find it hard to leave. The shops aren't brilliant, the pubs leave something to be desired, and there isn't really anywhere to eat, but somehow I feel attached to the place, much more so than I feel about where I was born and grew up (Herne Hill), which has all of these things.

If you're new to the area, I should also put a blatant plug in for the South London Theatre. We're based at the Old Fire Station in West Norwood (just near the railway station), and we're open 7 evenings a week and all weekend. Whether you have any experience of theatre or not, it really is a great way to meet people, particularly other local ones. When I pop out to the shops on a Saturday now, I bump into at least three people I know every time - it makes it quite a long trip, lol! We also have the nicest (and cheapest) bar in West Norwood - not that there is a huge amount of competition but still we pride ourselves on it... :)

#33 finn

finn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

I have to admit I live in a Victorian Villa in Holland Park, Kensington and have done so for the last 20 years. However, as I chose the above area to invest in a portfolio of buy-to-let flats, I feel I can add some knowledge and objective comment to this strand as I do know most parts of this area rather well. I have never joined this community before (why should I - I live in the RB of K+C, but I was so incensed by some of the comments, I felt I had no choice.

The first thing I would say is ignore the petty snobbery of those who say they 'wouldn't go down the hill' and suchlike. From where I'm standing, this attitude can only be viewed as highly whimsical. It's quite amazing how the government has managed to divide and rule its population by getting each and every one to look down on the person they feel is slightly lower on the socioeconomic scale than they are. More fool them.

The whole area is, in fact, much of a muchness and varies far more from street to street, rather than area to area. To be honest, it's all good and there is no area I would particularly recommend or discourage you from moving into.

Over the years, I have had tenants from all socioeconomic and cultural groups and I could not put a piece of paper between which of them is better There has been predominently good, and some bad in every one of the groupings. So I suggest you ignore the veiled racist slurs in previous posts, eg. 'too many Jerk Chicken restaurants', 'know what I mean blud', etc: It's just more of that ridiculous snobbery rearing its ugly and obtuse head.

I have spent many months staying in the area whilst conducting renovation and I think it's a great (even the so called 'dreaded Thornton Heath', where I have a few properties).

To summise: Try to avoid the ridiculous quasi-snobs as found on this site (they'll just depress you), and greet everyone with a smile and treat them with the respect that any human being deserves and you'll enjoy every minute of your time in this area, as I have done.

Good luck.

#34 finn

finn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

Ps... Apologies for any typos eg Summise= summarise - Sitting in the house in Spain and have had rather too many glasses of vino tinto. However, I hope my sentiment is still clear.

#35 Ruile

Ruile

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Well, we certainly have our Hometown Glory mojo down here in WN and Tulse Hill neck of the woods.... http://hmtownglory.bigcartel.com/ !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: area, crime, help