• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 margie

margie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

My family lived at palace road in the 40s.And,a VE day party was held at Pleydell road..I had this photo but it has been lost.It showed my mother with me as a baby on her knee with both my sisters sitting next to her.This was the only photo of me as a baby,and I am hoping someone out there might have a copy.I would be so pleased,heres hoping. :) :P

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

Ooh.... a long shot. Good luck though! :)

#3 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

The BBC keeps an extensive archive of war/post war images & stories.Try www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar. Not forgetting that most of the national newspapers keep archives of this type and the agencies that they use to find them.
Likes rock and roll,country and western and hip and hop

#4 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

I seem to remember a local history bit in the old 'Palace Mag' that was about the second world war and street parties in the area.
There was a picture, if memory serves me correct of a party near the Paxton Arms pub, which is near Pleydel Street.
The guy that ran the Palace mag, Chris Thomas occasionaly posts on here, could be worth PMing him or the auther of the local history pieces, Gerry (a local historian) runs a second hand book shop on Haynes Lane market so you could ask him.

#5 margie

margie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

Thankyou Tambo and Hermit.Will be trying bbc website,and,if I am able to to contact Chris Thomas that sounds good too.Dont know how I could contact Gerry in his bookshop though, But, giving it all a go,thanks again. :P

#6 margie

margie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Hy hermit, I have just sent a message to Chris Thomas,Palace Mag,fingers crossed.

#7 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:56 PM

Hi margie,
I have just had a look at the history section on the palace mag website and seem to have drawn a blank. The nearest picture is of a V1 bombing near the Paxton Arms pub but I'm sure I've seen pictures of the street parties somewhere.
Still, looks like Chris Thomas or Jerry Green could be good people to ask where they get their pictures from. You may have better luck contacting Chris on his website.
http://www.crystal-p...tegory/history/

Edited by Hermit, 03 October 2011 - 10:59 PM.