#1 Michael Charles

Michael Charles

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hello people,

What is your take on bad service?

I recently got swindled by an establishment that shall remain unnamed, I have an old amplifier that developed a strange fault, the volume kept on spiking, So I set out to find a worthy engineer to solve my problem.

I received a phone call stating the amp was fixed and I could pick it up for the princely sum of £97. A bit steep I thought as the engineer advised me that he did not swap out any parts other than 2 x preamp valves.

Great I thought, I can start using it again.

After an hour of use the problem returned :( I don't know about you but I'm a once bitten twice shy kind of person. Although I was angry that I'd technically been ripped off I decided to cut my losses and try to locate another engineer who can solve this problem as confidence in the shark who robbed me was now in the gutter. I checked out the symptoms on the net which lead me to believe that because of the amps age (which is over 20 years) one of the main output caps could be on the way out. I try and avoid really high voltages of DC because death is looming just around the corner when poking around with such power, although I've swapped out valves and rebiased them in the past capacitors that read 500v DC manifest an element of fear, call me chicken but I know where I am well off.

Anyway,

I contacted an old friend to ask if they knew and trusted anyone who could take on my issue and resolve the problem. He told me of an old guy on the Kent coast who charges 1970's prices who is very reliable. Great I'll send it to him.

The amp was returned and guess what? no more volume spike at the cost of £32 which is almost ridiculously low when you consider the time involved with testing and striping the thing from it's cabinet to get to the components.

do you think I was right to write off the original engineer and not give him a second chance or do you think I was right to seek out an alternative? What would you have done?
The editor function does not work in my account?

#2 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

Hi MC,

This will come to no surprise to those who know me, but I would have gone back to said shark, receipt and amp in hand, and asked him very nicely but very firmly to repair or refund or die!

Though that approach would have denied me the contact with the vintage geezer by the sea.

I prefer your version!

CM

Edited by citizen M, 06 October 2011 - 01:52 PM.

#3 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

CitM you should hire yourself out at an hourly rate to assist pepes in gaining satisfaction from dastardly traders!

I am hopeless.... I get too angry too quickly and then all is lost :(