Photo

Things that irrationally irritate you as you get older (and grumpier).

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#241 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

The British Chamber of Commerce doesn't seem to have a problem with awards for British businesses in China...

http://www.britishbu...out-the-awards/
Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#242 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

The British Chamber of Commerce doesn't seem to have a problem with awards for British businesses in China...

http://www.britishbu...out-the-awards/

Is this like for like though? In the case of the UK asian business awards is India (for instance) organising the award, or is it an association of UK businessmen who happen to be asian?

#243 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

I personally (and I don't expect all to agree with me) don't see a need for a magazine for white people in the UK (however they are determined), but neither do I see a reason for a magazine for black people in the UK (however they are determined). I would rather see a magazine for people based on their interests along the lines of sport, fitness, train-spotting, world news, beauty, finance - whatever the interest.

Again this is a personal viewpoint - and not one that I expect people to agree with me - don't see it as necessarily PC to see that awards such as the asian business awards in the UK as I don't see this as being inclusive - much as you wouldn't expect or want to see the 'white business awards'.

I am afraid I won't be swayed from my opinion,but am happy to agree to disagree :)/>

I can't speak for The Voice as I've never read it, but the point of newspapers and magazines aimed at gay people is that they cover issues that the mainstream press don't or won't cover. The gay press covers stories about legal and equality issues in the UK and in-depth analysis on gay hate crimes (yes, they do still happen). They also cover global human (e.g. gay rights in Uganda and Russia for example). These are things that can be very important for gay people, even in the UK. Gay people may originate from or have family in those places and even as a gay traveller, you need to have an awareness of the amount of acceptance and protection you would have in those locations. These situations are continually evolving and the gay press (along with places like Stonewall) is one of the key resources for us to keep up to date with developments.

I should imagine that publications aimed at certain racial groups have a similar purpose. Until full acceptance and legal equality for such groups exists throughout the globe, there will always be a need for these publications. I do draw the line at some of the lifestyle features in the gay press though as they often stereotype and I struggle to relate to much of it. Sharing sexuality doesn't mean you share the same interests in music, clothes or bars. However, the gay press often provide extensive coverage of positive role models, which can be important for young people growing up gay, especially if they are growing up in small communities where homosexuality is portrayed negatively and role models you can relate to are hard to come by.

I don't read the gay press so much now, but when I was growing up, it was invaluable. I'm sure that other digital mechanisms are gradually replacing these magazines but I think there is still a need for resources targeting these communities.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#244 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I can see what you are saying, but would a better way to influence change in relation to gay issues be for such issues to be widely talked about in mainstream publications rather than magazines aimed at the minority group in question?

#245 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Yes, but the mainstream press don't have the space to go into such depth on all these stories. Also, they aren't going to publish articles that are only of interest to a small section of the population. Where an issue has obvious widespread implications, it will likely be covered in the mainstream. However, such stories are only included when the publisher feels they help drive sales. Secondly, stories in the mainstream press are not always written from a sympathetic viewpoint. It's important for minority communities to feel they have safe spaces (by which I mean unthreatening) to explore these issues. These publications can be a lifeline for some people who are in very isolated situations.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#246 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Appreciate that.

I do think that mainstream opinion will only change when gay issues etc. are discussed and understood more widely. There was a great article on Asexual people in the Telegraph this weekend - I learned quite a bit.

#247 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Agree - I do think exposure in the mainstream press is key to changing attitudes.

Asexuality is getting quite a lot of press coverage at present, which is good.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#248 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

But the voice is a newspaper, a 'family' one at that apparently. It reports the news 1984 style. It's as if white people don't exist. That is wrong. I can see the point of mags with issues that can't be catered for in the mainstream in depth.

Anyway happy Diwali everyone. (I'm being serious actually)

#249 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

People who stand in the corner of the first step on the stairs of the bus. Drives me up the wall.
Love The Triangle...

#250 mickeyboy

mickeyboy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

People who stand in the corner of the first step on the stairs of the bus. Drives me up the wall.

yeah, especially if they're black handicapped Chinese gay Catholics

#251 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

But the voice is a newspaper, a 'family' one at that apparently. It reports the news 1984 style. It's as if white people don't exist. That is wrong. I can see the point of mags with issues that can't be catered for in the mainstream in depth.

I have to admit I'm confused as to why one magazine has drawn this focus.
I picked up a copy of (geek that I am) Doctor Who Magazine. Reading it was as if Star Trek didn't exist.
Love The Triangle...

#252 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Home audio isn't covered in the mainstream press... that's why I buy What HiFi.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#253 Canon

Canon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Bus drivers, as part of the job spec is being rude and arrogant part of it. Last night decided to get the bus from Moorgate to London Bridge don't have an oyster so asked how much it was. A small grunting noise and I asked again...£2.30 I put £3 down and mentioned I had no other change, again a small grunting noise, £2.30 was her reply, this is all the change I have £2.30 she then shouted. Asked if she had change, I might as well of insulted here family, she huffed and puffed, swearing under breath and then the final insult kissed her teeth, she then literal threw my change at me.... I realise that many do suffer loads of abuse and its not the best job but what the fu*k. Shocking

#254 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Home audio isn't covered in the mainstream press... that's why I buy What HiFi.

Ho ameudio is a bit different than race though.

My RECURRING pet hate: a tightly packed bank of people facing you when the tube/train doors open and you are trying to diisembark - angry glares when you say "erm.... can I get off please?", followed by people shoving past you as you try to stay on your feet :angry:

#255 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Canon, I'd have reported her - route number, time and the number that's slotted in on the side of the bus near the door's all you need to pin-point a driver. Even if you don't have the latter, call them with the rest and shop her! Grrr, on your behalf.

Edited by GillW, 14 November 2012 - 10:15 AM.