Photo

Things that irrationally irritate you as you get older (and grumpier).

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#256 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

My RECURRING pet hate: a tightly packed bank of people facing you when the tube/train doors open and you are trying to diisembark - angry glares when you say "erm.... can I get off please?", followed by people shoving past you as you try to stay on your feet :angry:

I get elbowy when that happens. If they don't like it, **** 'em.

I do, however, hate it when someone gets on the 521 at LBG, sits right at the back, watches the bus fill up to the brim, then fights their way off past a good 20 or 30 tightly packed people at the very next stop. If you're only going one stop, and it's a bus that routinely gets packed, why not stop a bit nearer to the door? Or you could just walk. I'm looking at YOU, the fat guy with the pubey beard, the LOTR teeshirt and the difficult relationship with personal hygiene.

Edited by nikdevlin, 14 November 2012 - 10:50 AM.

I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#257 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

LOTR?

#258 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

LOTR?

glad it's not just me....

#259 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Lord of the Rings.

#260 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

Aha!

#261 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

And that's another thing I hate. I hated the book, well the first 2 chapters, and having been dragged into watching the first film, I hated that too, more than I can say I hated it.

#262 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

LOTR is great. Smelly people wearing LOTR t-shirts not so much :D.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#263 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Ho ameudio is a bit different than race though.

Race issues aren't a million miles miles from gay issues, and Geks has made that point extremely well already.

As for LOTR, I love it. But the Harry Potter fetishism that has gripped the nation for the last decade completely passed me by...
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#264 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Agreed. I read one HP bok, and have seen bits and pieces of the films, and just don't get it. But I'm more of a SF lover.

#265 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

Race issues aren't a million miles miles from gay issues, and Geks has made that point extremely well already.

? I was querying the link between home audio and race issues. Gekko put her point very well I agree.

Agreed. I read one HP bok, and have seen bits and pieces of the films, and just don't get it. But I'm more of a SF lover.

I love any decent bit of escapism - not that I don't enjoy my life (I truly do, in many ways) but I love entering other worlds briefly, be they SF, drama, horror, thriller etc. Books and films used to be my main escape routes, but the older I get, the more I am drawn to (well written) literature.

Speaking of well written literature, the plague of (very poorly written and extremely poorly edited) self-published books is a criminal offence IMO.

#266 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Loving The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M Banks at the moment. I tend to have one fiction and one non-fiction on the go at any give time, so I'm also reading 4-2 by David Thomson, a blow by blow account of the 1966 World Cup Final.

#267 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Loving The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M Banks at the moment. I tend to have one fiction and one non-fiction on the go at any give time, so I'm also reading 4-2 by David Thomson, a blow by blow account of the 1966 World Cup Final.

A friend of mine never reads fiction - she feels that it is a waste of her time on earth and that she should only be reading factual, informative books :wacko:

I rarely read non-fiction (unless studying) - I feel it intrudes upon my escapist adventures.

A balanced reader probably falls between the two!

#268 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Bus drivers, as part of the job spec is being rude and arrogant part of it. Last night decided to get the bus from Moorgate to London Bridge don't have an oyster so asked how much it was. A small grunting noise and I asked again...£2.30 I put £3 down and mentioned I had no other change, again a small grunting noise, £2.30 was her reply, this is all the change I have £2.30 she then shouted. Asked if she had change, I might as well of insulted here family, she huffed and puffed, swearing under breath and then the final insult kissed her teeth, she then literal threw my change at me.... I realise that many do suffer loads of abuse and its not the best job but what the fu*k. Shocking

But do you know what? I understand if they have had a *** day. What I don't get is why they would take it out on their non-*** passengers.
I work in customer service and realised that so many problems can be nipped in the bud. So her *** day was to some extend, exacerbated by her attitude.

A friend of mine never reads fiction - she feels that it is a waste of her time on earth and that she should only be reading factual, informative books :wacko:

I rarely read non-fiction (unless studying) - I feel it intrudes upon my escapist adventures.

A balanced reader probably falls between the two!

Last night I was engrossed in my "London Gazetteer'.

I find non fiction quite interesting, but getting lost in fiction is amazing!

Edited by Billy S, 15 November 2012 - 12:11 AM.

Love The Triangle...

#269 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Just watched the first episode of Secret State. A shower of usual-suspect British luvvies shot in blue light with a lamentable script and galumphing plot.

But apart from all that... what's with DPM Gabriel Byrne talking about 'our nation' every 5 minutes? It's an American coinage that's always made me cringe a bit - 'Our nation's capital' and all that. Please god it's not going to creep into common parlance over here.

#270 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

The proliferation of celebrity lips pumped overly full of filler. Pathetic.

Am watching an episode of 'Hunted' on BBC1 and the heroine can't close her mouth properly due to plumped up lips - resulting in a somewhat gormless, 'mouth breather' image.