Photo

Things that irrationally irritate you as you get older (and grumpier).

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#31 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

Whats a shop assistant ?
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#32 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

Possibly a pet hate: people who say sorry before they have done something wrong, such as push, barge past you and into you. Or push in front of you in a queue (in the few places where queing still takes place...!)
Rachel
My link

#33 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

RachelF, that would be me, prematurely ejaculating 'Sorry!' as I launch myself between the closing doors of a tube train. Same when getting off a crowded train. Dunno why, I just prefer Sorry to Excuse me, sounds less petulant somehow.

#34 mickeyboy

mickeyboy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

RachelF, that would be me, prematurely ejaculating 'Sorry!' as I launch myself between the closing doors of a tube train. Same when getting off a crowded train. Dunno why, I just prefer Sorry to Excuse me, sounds less petulant somehow.

sounds messy to me

#35 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

absolutely

Possibly a pet hate: people who say sorry before they have done something wrong, such as push, barge past you and into you. Or push in front of you in a queue (in the few places where queing still takes place...!)

I think its a British thing, using 'SORry' as a kind of verbal bludgeon. It irked the heck out of me for years when I arrived on these shores. Its so passive aggressive!

But here's my new irritation - is when I find MYSELF saying SORry, and

... prematurely ejaculating 'Sorry!' as I launch myself between the closing doors of a tube train. ....etc ;)

I think its still terrible, it certainly is ruder than saying pardon me (and meaning it), but now I do it too! That's irritating!

#36 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Be honest Andreas son. When 'really' was the last time someone called you that?

Well to be honest, it was quite recently. Tony Blair was prime minister, or was it the one before? Macmillan was that it?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#37 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

I occasionally get referred to as a young woman which makes me laugh as it so clearly isn't so (the young bit, not the woman!).

#38 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

I occasionally get referred to as a young woman which makes me laugh as it so clearly isn't so (the young bit, not the woman!).

O Lover of Summits, it was only last week I was asking what course you were starting at Uni.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#39 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

tv docs that take forever to say very little and bombard you with stupid sound effects and music to hide the fact they aint imparting that much gen your way - apart from Brian Cox whos pretty good - and Ian Stewart too - even tho I think hes always just about to break into Malcolm Tucker from the Thick of it - ooh theres a TV charade

#40 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

People who watch programmes just to complain about them ! ChewderOde !

Dazza

PS Know exactly what you mean though !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#41 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

absolutely

I think its a British thing, using 'SORry' as a kind of verbal bludgeon. It irked the heck out of me for years when I arrived on these shores. Its so passive aggressive!

But here's my new irritation - is when I find MYSELF saying SORry, and

I think its still terrible, it certainly is ruder than saying pardon me (and meaning it), but now I do it too! That's irritating!

Sorry, Ziwa, doesn't it depend how you say it?

See, that there is an example of the 'passive aggressive' use, and I agree it's a pain in the butt when someone says sorry in the Hugh Grant way. But often, British people are just genuinely sorry to cause inconvenience to others, and say so.

#42 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

Shopping for bikinis :unsure:

#43 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

Becoming invisible (spoken as an "older" woman) ... :(
aka Pie

#44 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

Becoming invisible (spoken as an "older" woman) ... :(

Ah yes..... in an effort to reverse that growing phenomenon I have determined that I will never again wear beige! Posted Image

#45 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

Other people, everywhere.
Tv weather presenters - why do you have to be so bloody cheerful ?
Men's shoe manufacturers who appear to think men have evolved feet which taper to a sharp point and toes which point up at 45 degrees
Croydon
Celebrity being equated to personal worth
Retro anything. It was shite the first time, that's why it stopped.
Skinny jeans on blokes. They have never looked good on any man, ever in the history of all time
Modern chat shows - what happened to asking anyone anything remotely interesting/challenging.
Email.
The tyranny of pink if you have daughters.
Tv List shows (you know the top 50 anything.....) and the inane talking heads that get roped in to spout on about nothing.
Paperbacks which fall apart in about 10 seconds of opening them
Taking pride in ignorance.
The terms "business casual"
Being asked in a cafe if I want any food with my coffee. No I just want coffee.