Photo

Things that irrationally irritate you as you get older (and grumpier).

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#46 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

Croydon's interesting - having knocked down its mediaeval core in the 1890s, one might have thought that the lessons would have been learned, but no, the leafy north-east goes in the 1960s to dual carriageways and office blocks. There are still some nice nooks and crannies, not least the parish church and archbishops' palace... but yes, generally a lesson to town planners in what to avoid.

Edited by andreas, 18 October 2011 - 09:19 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#47 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

The only good thing is sailing through it on the underpass (a good bit of town planning!).

#48 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

I like to think of it (underpass) as a wormhole - taking me to another dimension - well Selhurts / Thornton Heath and eventually to the dizzy heights of good ol CP!

#49 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

This may be going off-thread, but I think I've got happier - or at least less sensitive, which is probably the same thing - as I've got older.

#50 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

This may be going off-thread, but I think I've got happier - or at least less sensitive, which is probably the same thing - as I've got older.

I agree. Perhaps because I'm in a slight haze as in the spirit of getting older, I am gradually reducing my nicotine intake, but I do feel a certain stoicism creeping in on the daily round... lots of accumulated experience to draw on "I've been here before", "it can't be worse than that time in 19xx" etc.

Oh, back on topic, starting to feel envy when colleagues retire.

#51 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:40 PM

Oh, back on topic, starting to feel envy when colleagues retire.

Oh god yes.... a fair few have flown the coop through the early exit procedure recently - including my last boss and my Deputy Director - and I grit my teeth every time :(

#52 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

The PC & Tree Huggers brigade they will obviously be out in force on how gaddafi was killed blah blah blah . I am just happy that the libyan people are now free of this evil git & he should be burried in the same pit where he executed all those innocent people.

Justice !

Dazza

PS Both knees capped & a bullet in the head ! Crossfire my arse but who really cares !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#53 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

Bit of a leap off topic but I am jolly irritated that St Paul's has had to close it's doors to visitors as the anti-capitalist brigade have apparently thus far refused to move Posted Image

#54 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

Talking about being irrationally irritated....... (warning, the language gets a bit fruity at 2 mins in if you make it that far!)

#55 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

Bit irritated that H & S regulations have caused St.Paul's to close it's doors.Glad to see that,despite modern regulation's,people are still exercising their right to peaceful protest utilizing the sanctuary of church accomodation.The cynic in me DOES note that the church is conveniently situated close to one of the larger edifices of the object of their protest.
Likes rock and roll,country and western and hip and hop

#56 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

Gonna have me a sit in in the Palace Spice !

Dazza

Edited by Dazza, 22 October 2011 - 04:28 PM.

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#57 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

Right. I've got two today actually three.

The metro. Every time they mention distance in a story the state kilometres then miles in brackets. Last time I looked the unit of measure was miles.

Secondly. The telephone code for London is 020. Not 0207 or 0208 or 0203. It's not difficult.

Thirdly and one I'm sure I've mentioned before. Croydon Thornton Heath Sutton etc have not been in Surrey for over 40 years. Get it right.

Oh fourthly. Crystal palace is not a town I really hate that term. We are a suburb.

*breathes*

#58 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

Are we not a town? I thought in the same way as people use to think that City status came about for large conurbations with cathedrals I thought we would be given town status as we've got a Perfect Fried Chicken - (actually they chould have called it Crystal Perfect Fried Chicken or CPFC for short)

#59 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

We're a district centre in the world of planning. Neither a town nor a suburb. Crystal Perfect Fried Chicken would be a good start at a name, though wait till I build my steelworks on the hilltop.

#60 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

We are the district centre of Crystal Palace as officially recogised by the London Plan. I prefer the Quadrangle!