Photo

The Paxton

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Please rate this pub (16 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this pub?

1. Excellent (8 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Good (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. Average (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

4. Poor (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:05 AM

Went in earlier and managed to grab the last two beef roasts. Amazing renovation job, it finally feels like the place the Mansion was trying to be, but failed. Lots of parents, babies and toddlers, so you may want to avoid it if that's not your cup of tea, but it's where we are in life at the moment and the garden, albeit completely decked, is perfect for little ones to run around. The slide is so big it has a climbing wall on the side...

Food - better than the Florence I think. Hearty roast dinner. Very powerful horseradish... As for drinks, beer was pretty good I thought. Nowhere around here is going to beat the G&G on that front, but nice to try something different. It's a bit too far away for me to be a regular, especially as we're off to Beckenham, but if you're in the area, well worth a punt.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#17 Muffy

Muffy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

As this should be my local I was eager to try the place out.
I must admit the large TV screen was very off putting and I immediately feared the worst.
Finding somewhere to sit down that looked comfortable was the next challenge as many of the chairs appeared to have been sourced from a local skip.
The menu looked ok but sadly the meals that arrived were not very good at all.
Our glasses were also wisked away before we had finished but at least that gave us an excuse to leave.
This place really needs to do its homework if it wants to appeal to the locals.

#18 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Popped in here last night: my first visit since it was The Mansion.

Really lovely staff, assorted seating (I can see why people might think it was uncomfortable) but we got two nice ones by the window, I had A pint of Weasle which is from The Florence I think, all in all a vast improvement since my last visit!

Edited by Billy S, 04 March 2012 - 09:00 PM.

Love The Triangle...

#19 Mani77

Mani77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

I am so sorry to see some poor reviews of this place, and wanted to let people know things seem to have changed quite a lot since the reopening. We go to the Paxton probably once a fortnight and apart from the Bricklayers, is our nearest pub (Two Towers looks frankly scary so discounted). The food on the regular menu is a bit hit and miss, but they do the regular items like fish and chips or burgers extremely well, so we eat here when we want something standard. I don't want to do it down though because the sunday roasts are just amazing in terms of quality and quantity. I just find some of the more off piste stuff they serve (such as a cold squid salad with room temperature bean salad, or breaded halloumi batons with cauliflower and parmesan dip, or veggie cheese and spinach hotdogs) just don't tempt me most of the time - a bit too random for my tastes.

The garden is lovely and was great in summer. The best bit about the bar is the eclectic nature of the drinks they serve - I love being able to choose between a variety of rums and my fella for bourbons. The wait staff can sometimes be a little lacksidasical but the manager is one of the most attentive I've come across - I think he really cares if you have a good night. There's sport if you want it but plenty of big parts of the pub that are sports free. I've always had a very warm welcome here and we'll carry on using it as our local even though the Rosendale is much closer - this is a much nicer welcome and more relaxed place to hang out.

#20 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for the update Mani, we haven't been for ages but will try again soon :)

#21 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

I loved this place when it was the mansion and scott ran it...went there after he sold it and didn't enjoy it. My best mate got married a few weeks ago and we started out there. they were most accommodating to our group. Food was great and we enjoyed watching the footie in a great atmosphere. Went back next day for sunday lunch and it was a real treat...will return soon!

#22 Honey_dip21

Honey_dip21

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Great review, sounds like a place to check out.