4 replies to this topic

#1 klaushofer

klaushofer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hi all,

I'm wanting to advertise my micro-business (private tuition) in a local paper. BUT we're on a cusp here, and I'm struggling to find a publication which serves 'my' catchment area.

Of course, I know and like the Transmitter, but would prefer something with a bit of wider reach - the Norwoods, plus a surrounding circle of three or four miles which could include Streatham, Dulwich and Beckenham.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

I have never had a local newspaper delivered... and never bought on so I can't help. Do such things exist anymore?

Have you thought advertising on VN too?

#3 kibitzer

kibitzer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:19 AM

Why not try the Newshopper and local Guardian series, as I understand it, they are both owned by the same people and one phone call will get your ad in all editions from Erith to Putney, the whole South London swathe which you need to net in customers. Also they are cheaper than the Advertiser and some of the other local media.

#4 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:37 AM

I second Kibitzer's recommendation, they also have e-editions which is really good for people like us who never get it delivered!!

#5 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

Of course, I know and like the Transmitter, but would prefer something with a bit of wider reach - the Norwoods, plus a surrounding circle of three or four miles which could include Streatham, Dulwich and Beckenham.

Klaushofer, I found myself in the same situation a few years back and advertised in 'Living South' because it covered a wider area and also in 'The Transmitter'.
However, after a while I gave up on Living South and stuck with The Transmitter as I received twice as many calls and got most of the work as people wanted to support local trade, so well worth a try.

The Transmitter also cost alot less.