5 replies to this topic

#1 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

The panic of 1907 began:

A run on Knickerbocker Trust Company stock set events in motion that led to years of the economic downfall that preceeded the Great Depression.

Under more normal financial conditions not have sparked a panic, but conditions were not normal in the Fall of 1907. The economy had been slowing, the stock market had been in decline since early 1907, and the supply of credit had been contracting causing rising interest rates. Tight credit markets in Europe, particularly in England where the Bank of England had been raising its bank rate since December 1906, resulted in the very unstable economy. After Knickerbocker went under ( ;) ) Trust companies throughout NY could not withstand the mass panic and runs on deposits prevailed.

Deja vu or economic cycle :blink: :unsure:

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

Diana Dors was born (1931) and Ken Dodd celebrated his 4th week at No 1 with ' Tears" (1965).

#3 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

1956: Elvis was topping the charts both sides of the Atlantic with Love Me Tender, while over in Budapest the Hungarian Uprising against Soviet occupation kicked off.

1966: The Four Tops were spinning with "Reach Out I'll be There" and the UK was in a spin over the prospect of decimalisation. A five year notice had been served on the old currency, no more thruppence, halfpennies, shillings, tanners, bobs or crowns.

1976: Chicago took the music mantle with, If You Leave Me Now, and the first commercial Concorde flight took to the skies.

1986: Madonna was pop queen with True Blue, much like UK/Syrian relations following revelations of official complicity in Nezar Hindawi's plot to blow up an El Al airliner. Cheeky monkey had constructed the bomb at the Syrian Embassy in London.

1996: Boyzone were battling for supremacy with The Spice Girls whilst over in Santa Monica, O J Simpson was battling The State.

2006: My Chemical Romance were top dogs with Welcome to the Black Parade, while tear gas was being fired at the Budapest parade where crowds gathered to commemorate 50th anniversary of the Uprising.

#4 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

1961: Helen Shapiro was Walking Back to Happiness at the top of the charts, while in TV world, Coronation Street, was notching up the viewing figures after a years' broadcasting. The silver screen was sizzling with Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Guns of Navarone and The Hustler but One Hundred and One Dalmatians topped the leader chart as the highest grossing film.

In the news, the first edition of Private Eye had just hit the shelves, France was still reeling after the massacre by police of hundreds of North Africans in Paris on 17th October, the authorities rushed to cover up the full details of the brutal beating and slaughter by the police. Maurice Papon, the sadistic Secretary General of the Poluce ordered his officers to be as "subversive in quelling the demonstrations, and assured them protection from prosecution if they participated."

The other side of the pond the Cuban Missile Crisis was simmering down, the US marked this day, 50 years ago, by performing a nuclear test at the Nevada Test Site.

1971: Rod Stewart was No1 with Maggie May, TV was dominated by costume dramas, Upstairs Downstairs and The Onedin Line and Play for Today was taking off, Fiddler on the Roof and The French Connection were top grossing movies.

In the news, at 0409 GMT on 28 October 1971, the British Prospero satellite was launched from Woomera, Australia, on an Isle of Wight-built Black Arrow rocket and the House of Commons votes in favour of joining the EEC by a vote of 356-244.

1981: Soft Cell topped the pops with Tainted Love, Raiders of the Lost Arc was top of movie charts and cop chick dramas, Juilet Bravo and The Gentle Touch, hit the airwaves.
In the news, Prince Charles and Princess Diana were celebrating 3 months of holy matrimony while wild cat strikes were reported across Poland and OPEC members meeting in Geneva agree on unified oil price; increase in gasoline and home heating oil prices expected as consequence...

1991: U2's The Fly finally knocked Bryan Adams off the top spot, BA had been no2 for 16 weeks with (Everything I Do) I Do it For You and Terminator 2: Judgement Day was highest grossing film, comedy series were raking in the viewers with Mr Bean, Jeeves and Wooster, Drop the Dead Donkey and The Mary Whitehouse Experience.
In the news, the weather! The "perfect storm" hits the North Atlantic producing remarkably large waves along the New England and Canadian coasts. Meanwhile in space, the US Galileo spacecraft became first probe to visit an asteroid.

#5 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

1974 - Lord Lucan mysteriously disappeared following the murder of his children's nanny and a serious assault on his wife!

#6 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

Isn't he a member of VN? Thought I saw him lurking last night - ominous.