• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

Blimey, Daz - are you a roofer in your spare time?!

Grrr! The 'edit' function's giving me an error message - almost overlooked your reply, SLR! I bought my house on VN, lol (as the yoof dem would say) :D

#17 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

I'm a Technical manager which is unfortunately my day job !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#18 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

I thought you still worked in finance! What do you manage, technically speaking?

#19 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

I give Building regulation advice to over 9000 businesses so I suppose I have a little bit of experience !

Left the Finance industry in the late early 90's ! But still dabble with the markets !

#20 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

Maybe advice has changed but 2 years ago the pest control guys at Croydon said that they were not allow to lay poison for squirrels - they had instead to catch them in traps and remove them. I assumed they removed them elsewhere but maybe not.

#21 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

Posted Image
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#22 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:02 AM

LIKE :D

#23 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

Maybe advice has changed but 2 years ago the pest control guys at Croydon said that they were not allow to lay poison for squirrels - they had instead to catch them in traps and remove them. I assumed they removed them elsewhere but maybe not.

There are restrictions on poisoning Grey Squirrels, but I'm sure these apply to outdoor use. Outside you'd only be able to use poison for limited reasons and following a strict procedure, which I guess it to protect other animals.

Gill, As your house was built in 88 I'd assume the soil pipe is within the house and runs up to the attic? If so, and rats are the problem, they may be able to access the space beneath your ground floor floorboards then climb up to the attic using the space between the soil pipe and surrounding boxing (probably plasterboard).

If your house is part of a terrace or semi-detached the rats could be coming in from next door via a gap in the eves area, or could be beneath both houses ground floor and coming up via the boxing around the soil pipe.

Have you seen droppings in your loft? These should help ID the culprit

#24 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Ugh! Perish the thought! I'm still on a crutch after a foot operation, so have been unable to climb the ladder to have a look yet! No noise last night either - could whatever creatures were up there have just paid my loft a temporary visit to escape the heavy rain of a few nights ago?

#25 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

Poison the blighters & destroy the evidence but dont post on ere as the tree huggers will prob report you !

Dazza

#26 CarrieG11

CarrieG11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

Hi Gill
Hopefully these noisy neighbours have moved on.

Come to the BNI networking meeting on 24th November and ask Steve Dale (professional pest controller) and keeps us entertained with his pest control stories. Ask him about the 14 squirrels in one roof and how he caught them! He's the one 'on the door' collecting our meeting fee.

#27 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

I bet he does! Now more mobile, I got the ladder out of the shed, climbed up into the loft and had a good look around with a torch. There was limited evidence of mice (a few old-looking poops near an empty Rentokil container that's been there since I moved in 18 months ago), but I put a new sealed Rentokil poisonous bait box up there to be on the safe saide. I've heard nothing since those first two nights. Weird!

#28 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

I used to have this problem with squirrels too. The only way I could stop them getting in was to put moth balls down. The fumes from them were basically unpleasant so they didn't like being there. The mothballs disappear after a while so you have to replace them ever 6-9 months. Worked though. You can get them cheaply from eBay.

#29 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:18 AM

What a brilliant tip!

#30 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

What a brilliant tip!

Indeed - popped out today to McDonald's and bought a bag.