• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#61 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

It's all a bit cringe-making really. Maybe I'm just an old git, but that kind of stuff makes me go foetal with embarrassment. What's wrong with a text, or even a simple, old fashioned phone call?
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#62 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Weather forecasters and their random dramatic pauses. Like just now: "Heavy rain - in Southern parts - mostly dry" Eh? Just tell us the weather mate.

#63 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Maybe he just wanted a second chance and should be given the benefit of the doubt. OK, perhaps second, third or fourth chance picking up on the trust issue but who are we to judge?

I'd give him a second chance but after he'd been prosecuted for vandalism, trespass, loss of advertising revenue etc etc and that shouldn't be difficult as we have a photofit. Is it local - can any one name and shame? It's not that guy from Florida who had the spear through his head is it? ;)
Tadpole - my favourite word

#64 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Is it local?

Not sure if the perp is, but the object of his belated affections must be as he's stuck the poster up opposite Gipsy Hill Station, from whence she presumably exits.

#65 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

I'd give him a second chance but after he'd been prosecuted for vandalism, trespass, loss of advertising revenue etc etc and that shouldn't be difficult as we have a photofit. Is it local - can any one name and shame? It's not that guy from Florida who had the spear through his head is it? ;)

Oh dear I just hope he doesn't end up sitting opposite you on the train Senor. Although, I suspect he isn't a commuter from Gipsy Hill. I did wonder, on first viewing, whether he had stepped out of an episode of Lost or Shipwrecked - Battle of the Islands.

Poor chap - obviously heartbroken.

#66 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

I am sure he will get over it ! There is always alcohol the cause & solution to all lifes problem ! ( You can always rely on Homer ( simspon that is ) )

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#67 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

Heh heh... should I pop down there and stick this up next to it? :D

Posted Image
Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#68 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

How's this for an Olympic event!

#69 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Walking along Church Road a couple of weeks ago and being a bit :wacko: when a boy racer car load of rowdy youths came up behind me and yelled 'Oi - GRANDMA!' as they sped past.

I was initially rather put out but then realised that actually I could easily be a Grandma (even though I have not quite reached my half century). Hey ho.....

#70 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Don't worry SL - that says infinitely more about them than about you! They're probably used to girls getting pregnant in their teens...! What cheek, though! :blink:

#71 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

I have a friend who became a grandfather at the age of 36!
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#72 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Blimey. My mother hadn't even had me at that age!
Rachel
My link

#73 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

I have a friend who became a grandfather at the age of 36!

technically a bloke could be a grandad at 25 - or even younger! and a fella could also be a dad in his 70s - thinking Des O Connor - so in the procreative stakes think men have a slight edge timewise over women - not much sexual equality in that!

#74 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

I suspect few women would want that range of potential pregnancy years!
Rachel
My link

#75 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

What I want to know is - why August? Much chance of underarm odour if you grew your 'pit' hair in December...

http://www.huffingto...l?utm_hp_ref=uk

Sarah HickmottFeminist activist, co-founder of Armpits4August

The current zeitgeist of discussion about women and body hair shows no sign of abating, and rightly so. From Emer O'Toole's brave and unashamedly hairy appearance on This Morning, Those Pesky Dames' appearance on Cherry Healey's 'How To Get a Life: Can Your Looks Change Your Life?' to the alarm at Pixie Lott's barely hairy 'fashion faux pas', and the storm that blew through the feminist blog and twittersphere at the alarming advert for waxing deals for the under 15s. Armpits4August, beginning on Wednesday 1 August, hopes to make a contribution to this timely discussion, and help keep this complicated issue floating in the social consciousness.

Another aspect of Armpits4August is that it is also trying to raise awareness of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and money for Verity, the only national PCOS charity. PCOS is a condition that affects around 5-10% of women living in the UK, and although often going undiagnosed, it is a leading cause of infertility, weight gain and hirsutism - excess body hair in places associated with male pattern growth, such as the chest, neck and face. In a society where nearly all of our images of women are completely hairless, except for on the head, the pressure to conform and embarrassment felt by many, probably most, women about their body hair is especially strong for women with hirsutism.

We are asking women to grow their armpit hair - or any other body hair - for the month of August and collect sponsorship from friends and family. Over time we are aiming to have pride in our body hair rather than shame, and to challenge the idea that post-pubescent women with body hair - no matter how much - are disgusting, unhygienic or 'unnatural'.

On Monday 30th July we pit-mobbed the South Bank in London to launch the campaign and, whilst the majority of reactions were positive and enthusiastic about Armpits4August, the negative reactions were at least as revealing: uncontrollable grimacing, shocked double-takes, and even one person who retched.

Armpits4August believe that we should be deeply concerned that we live in society where hair on adult women is seen as shocking and disgusting, to say nothing of the pressure this places on women to uphold this idealised image of beauty, and the time and money it takes to maintain this illusion.