Photo

Good souls / characters around the area?

any life affirming encounters

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:49 PM

I'd go for Luba on the self service checkout in Sainsburys -the fella who runs the offy on the corner of Pleydell / Anerley Hill (we chat about Arsenal and football) - Albert in all his regalia (tho aint seen him in a bit) and Yemi in the Charity shop on Church Road

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

The People's Oscars - I like this thread!

1. Claire in the dry cleaners next to Gipsy Hill station. I still go there, even though I moved to Anerley seven years ago! Much more than a dry-cleaner, she looks after my house keys if anyone is arriving to stay while I am at work; keeps the same keys for me after my mechanic (another good and cheery soul - Rob, rear of 242 Gipsy Road) has finished with my car, enabling me to pick them up super-early the next day before work; and dispenses excellent advice, local gossip and hugs. When I was single, she even tried to fix me up with one of her customers: 'Come and look at his shirts, Gill!' She is my surrogate mum. :)

2. My new best friend, Gisele in the new Brazilian caff at 61 Anerley Road - Cafe Ricco di Carlo. Really wants to make a positive contribution to the community. Is relentlessly cheerful. Gave me a free box of pastel de nata (Portuguese custard tarts) for helping her sign up to VN and putting her in touch with Sharon of Respect Music for a top-secret new CP/Brazil enterprise!

3. Carol at Homebase, Penge. We always have a laugh and a joke on one of my early-morning forays to pick up DIY supplies. I find Homebase's staff unfailingly friendly helpful, especially when you don't know quite what you're doing!

#3 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

Albert our local soldier and the boys in Palace Spice
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#4 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

Obviously the boys at Palace Spice, the couple who run the 'western union' newsagents on Westow Street are particularly pleasant, the Turkish bloke who owns the chippy on the parade who's always chirpy and gives me large everything (probably as I'm an antidote to the pond life who grunt at him when asking for their chicken and chips)

#5 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:16 AM

I'd go for Luba on the self service checkout in Sainsburys -the fella who runs the offy on the corner of Pleydell / Anerley Hill (we chat about Arsenal and football) - Albert in all his regalia (tho aint seen him in a bit) and Yemi in the Charity shop on Church Road

Definitely the guy who runs the off licence on Anerley Hill / Pleydell Avenue - he's lovely, can't walk past without him waving at me and having a quick chat.
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#6 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

Uncle Wilf.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#7 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

Tony at Tony's fish and chips on S. Norwood High Street. Years after I moved away and he still waves even if I'm in the car queuing in traffic outside the shop. I once went fancying just fish. He said this was not possible and made me take free chips on top. He was right.

#8 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

the lesser spotted

Uncle Wilf.

Posted Image

#9 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

The staff at A Torre, the Portuguese restaurant, who are always so nice and accommodating. The bald Irish guy in Patrick's who's always really quiet but pours a great pint of Guinness and brings it over when he's not too busy. A good word for the checkout staff in Sainsburys who I've found to all be friendly and helpful.

In terms of local characters, some of the people who run the stalls in Haynes Lane Market definitely make SE19 a more interesting spot. If you enter at the upper entrance down that narrow alley way there's a stall on the right as you enter the building. The lady who runs that is great fun.

I realise these are all people who work in retail or services in one way or another so it would be good to hear about other local characters that I've yet to come across.

#10 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

Two vicars to diversify the list - the Rev Bev at St John's, Auckland Road and Andrew Rumsey, until recently at Christ Church, Gipsy Hill, now moved to pastures new, but still as far as I know with the Effras. Both really supportive of community initiatives.

Has anyone mentioned Dazza?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#11 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

I think Dazza's a given Andreas. I like to think of him as a raven at the Tower of London.....

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:49 AM

I think Dazza's a given Andreas. I like to think of him as a raven at the Tower of London.....

Our a cheeky gargoyle on Westminster Abbey.....

#13 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

The People's Oscars - I like this thread!

1. Claire in the dry cleaners next to Gipsy Hill station. I still go there, even though I moved to Anerley seven years ago! Much more than a dry-cleaner, she looks after my house keys if anyone is arriving to stay while I am at work; keeps the same keys for me after my mechanic (another good and cheery soul - Rob, rear of 242 Gipsy Road) has finished with my car, enabling me to pick them up super-early the next day before work; and dispenses excellent advice, local gossip and hugs. When I was single, she even tried to fix me up with one of her customers: 'Come and look at his shirts, Gill!' She is my surrogate mum. :)

2. My new best friend, Gisele in the new Brazilian caff at 61 Anerley Road - Cafe Ricco di Carlo. Really wants to make a positive contribution to the community. Is relentlessly cheerful. Gave me a free box of pastel de nata (Portuguese custard tarts) for helping her sign up to VN and putting her in touch with Sharon of Respect Music for a top-secret new CP/Brazil enterprise!

3. Carol at Homebase, Penge. We always have a laugh and a joke on one of my early-morning forays to pick up DIY supplies. I find Homebase's staff unfailingly friendly helpful, especially when you don't know quite what you're doing!

And another Carol - in the Crystal Palace Aquarium shop, which I visit for goldfish supplies. Always up for a chat and always kind enough to give me a discount, or, as today, free plants! :) This is a great shop to visit with a child (or a curious adult) - not only does it stock beautiful fish in all the colours of the rainbow and some truly scary-looking snakes and reptiles, but sometimes you get to witness a man with a plastic bag full of live locusts tucked into his belt feeding the contents to a giant tree frog, as I just did! :o