• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

A councillor ought not to sleep the whole night through, a man to whom the populace is entrusted, and who has many responsibilities. Homer (Lliad)

Attempted murder? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry? Sideshow Bob

#2 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Groucho Marx

#3 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

Before I speak, I have something important to say

Groucho again!

#4 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

The laws of capitalism, blind and invisible to the majority, act upon the individual without his thinking about it He sees only the vastness of a seemingly infinite horizon before him. That is how it is painted by capitalist propagandists, who purport to draw a lesson from the example of Rockefeller — whether or not it is true — about the possibilities of success.The amount of poverty and suffering required for the emergence of a Rockefeller, and the amount of depravity that the accumulation of a fortune of such magnitude entails, are left out of the picture, and it is not always possible to make the people in general see this. Che Guevara

#5 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?
Steven Wright

Edited by Summit Lover, 12 November 2011 - 03:34 PM.

#6 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here...This is the War Room! Peter Sellers -- Dr. Strangelove

#7 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:10 AM

I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself.

Ronald Reagan

#8 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible" Arthur C. Clarke

#9 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Prizes for guessing the author.
Rachel
My link

#10 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Prizes for guessing the author.

author clues- 2 words :
1st word 2 syllables i) teat ii) girl

2nd word connects apple and family

and here's another from same quotee:

“Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.”

#11 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

Hee hee absolutely no need to google those two - now where's my biro gone??

Biros

Veet Voojagig, was a quiet young student at the University of Maximeglon, who pursued a brilliant academic career studying ancient philology, transformational ethics and the wave harmonic theory of historical perception, and then, after a night of drinking Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters with Zaphod Beeblebrox, became increasingly obsessed with the problem of what had happened to all the biros he'd bought over the past few years.

There followed a long period of painstaking research during which he visited all the major centres of biro loss throughout the galaxy and eventually came up with a quaint little theory which caught the public imagination at the time. Somewhere in the cosmos, he said, along with all the planets inhabited by humanoids, reptiloids, fishoids, walking treeoids and superintelligent shades of the colour blue, there was also a planet entirely given over to biro life forms. And it was to this planet that unattended biros would make thier way, slipping away quietly through wormholes in space to a world where they knew they could enjoy a uniquely biroid lifestyle, responding to highly biro-orientated stimuli, and generally leading the biro equivalent of the good life.

And as theories go this was all very fine and pleasant until Veet Voojagig suddenly claimed to have found this planet, and to have worked there for a while driving a limousine for a family of cheap retractables, whereupon he was taken away, locked up, wrote a book, and was finally sent into tax exile, which is the usual fate reserved for those who are determined to make a fool of themselves in public.

When one day an expedition was sent to the spatial coordinates that Voojagig had claimed for this planet they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

There did however, remain the question of both the mysterious 60,000 Altairian dollars paid yearly into his Brantisvogan bank account, and of course Zaphod Beeblebrox's highly profitable second-hand biro business.

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

''He who laughs, lasts" Mary Pettibone Poole

#13 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

"I don't believe in pessimism. If something doesn't come up the way you want, forge ahead." Clint Eastwood

#14 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:39 PM

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

#15 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood